How's the view???........

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As you know New England is known for its stone walls. We had one around our property when I was a kid. The top picture definitely looks like some sort of foundation, although the fact that it is only on 3 sides is confusing.

I have no idea about the bottom picture. I don't think it is a foundation or a stone wall.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This one I can't figure out. It's only maybe 8' x 12'.

Anyone have a guess?

If its close to a larger foundation, its an outbuilding of some type. It would be interesting to take a metal detector out there and see what you can dig up. Buildings tended to be small a long time ago because of the cost of construction, and homes were small so they could be heated easier. Storage, outside kitchen, blacksmith, tannery, smokehouse......lots of possibilities.

bigbrownhen

Over, I think it could be the foundation of a stable or something similar like Scratch suggested. Does the open side face south so the building protected livestock from harsh winter winds? I would bet the other was a wall at some point like Upstate guessed. What a wonderful place to wander around.

DS

Fenderbender
I'm no historian and only speculating here,this looks to me like the foundations of an important building.
Possibly a storage hut for corn or other essentials that winter would negate.The tree that grows inside must me at least
40 years old.This may be a remnant of the indians dealing with winter.

over9five

Staff member
Over, I think it could be the foundation of a stable or something similar like Scratch suggested. Does the open side face south so the building protected livestock from harsh winter winds? I would bet the other was a wall at some point like Upstate guessed. What a wonderful place to wander around.

Stable, hmm I never considered that. And yes, the open side does face south.

Have you checked the area out with a metal detector yet? I would be all over that.

There are some "artifacts" inside the walls. I'll snap some pictures of those if I get out there again before the snow.

I'm no historian and only speculating here,this looks to me like the foundations of an important building.
Possibly a storage hut for corn or other essentials that winter would negate.The tree that grows inside must me at least
40 years old.This may be a remnant of the indians dealing with winter.

Possibly!

If its close to a larger foundation, its an outbuilding of some type. It would be interesting to take a metal detector out there and see what you can dig up. Buildings tended to be small a long time ago because of the cost of construction, and homes were small so they could be heated easier. Storage, outside kitchen, blacksmith, tannery, smokehouse......lots of possibilities.

Smokehouse is another one I never thought of!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Stable, hmm I never considered that. And yes, the open side does face south.

There are some "artifacts" inside the walls. I'll snap some pictures of those if I get out there again before the snow.

Possibly!

Smokehouse is another one I never thought of!
I did, but you never commented on my post.