How's the view???........

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Nature at it's best, right here on the route!
No retouching necessary.

This has definitely been "retouched".
Maybe not retouched by you but the camera has already retouched it for you before it saved as a jpg file.
It you saw the unadjusted image you would be disappointed.
Free lesson on digital images.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This has definitely been "retouched".
Maybe not retouched by you but the camera has already retouched it for you before it saved as a jpg file.
It you saw the unadjusted image you would be disappointed.
Free lesson on digital images.
Semantics, my friend! I was refering to your picture post which had "after camera" enhancing. Oh, and btw, this is exactly how it looked in to eye.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Semantics, my friend! I was refering to your picture post which had "after camera" enhancing. Oh, and btw, this is exactly how it looked in to eye.

Usually I use the jpg (which is what you posted) as the model for my post shot processing. I can usually get more natural looking pictures by bringing in the RAW image and increasing the blacks by 10%, increasing the contrast by 7% and increasing the luminosity by 12%. Sometimes I just feel lazy and use the jpg out of the camera which does pretty much the same stuff.
I do crop, rotate and delete distracting elements on a lot of photos and occasionally I will add or clone elements to create a better image.

I'll let you in on an industry secret ... all professional photographers do these things ... that's where I learned it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Usually I use the jpg (which is what you posted) as the model for my post shot processing. I can usually get more natural looking pictures by bringing in the RAW image and increasing the blacks by 10%, increasing the contrast by 7% and increasing the luminosity by 12%. Sometimes I just feel lazy and use the jpg out of the camera which does pretty much the same stuff.
I do crop, rotate and delete distracting elements on a lot of photos and occasionally I will add or clone elements to create a better image.

I'll let you in on an industry secret ... all professional photographers do these things ... that's where I learned it.
Being far from the "professional", I try to frame up what I want, and shoot the picture. I almost never have to crop/enhance. I do however shrink the image size, because large files take a bit longer to upload, and who needs to see the full size picture, when what I upload gives you the gist.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This needs tending to.

100_5420.jpg

I haven't cropped the mane since September. The above was a closeup of this. Is it me, or did I just come in from a snow storm?

100_5296.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Being far from the "professional", I try to frame up what I want, and shoot the picture. I almost never have to crop/enhance. I do however shrink the image size, because large files take a bit longer to upload, and who needs to see the full size picture, when what I upload gives you the gist.

I understand ... different objectives.
Another truism amongst the professionals (which I'm not to that level yet ... in fact, not even close) is to shoot wide and crop close. All those action shots you see in magazines (Sports Illustrated for example) are shot very wide and cropped down to what you see. A game shooter will take as many as 10,000 frames and come away with 3 or 4 shots you ever see.
That's the great thing about digital, someone like me can fill up 4 or 5 memory cards and sift through to find the shots that can be turned into good images. I could never afford to do that with film.

I was hesitant to get into digital because the quality was so poor but Photoshop and other post-capture processing tools provides the ability to get the sharpness and color of the old film days.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I understand ... different objectives.
Another truism amongst the professionals (which I'm not to that level yet ... in fact, not even close) is to shoot wide and crop close. All those action shots you see in magazines (Sports Illustrated for example) are shot very wide and cropped down to what you see. A game shooter will take as many as 10,000 frames and come away with 3 or 4 shots you ever see.
That's the great thing about digital, someone like me can fill up 4 or 5 memory cards and sift through to find the shots that can be turned into good images. I could never afford to do that with film.

I was hesitant to get into digital because the quality was so poor but Photoshop and other post-capture processing tools provides the ability to get the sharpness and color of the old film days.
I still use film once in awhile, though mainly for set up shots, such as family photo's, etc... I'm with you on the use of digital. I'll take hundreds of shots to get the one or two that stand out. The advent of camera's with higher megapixels has really brought digital into better focus, pun intended, though many digital camera owners don't use half the features or get near the quality they can get from them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This was a real Kodak moment that I just happened to see after making a delivery yesterday. Unfortunately, I was only "armed" with an el cheapo cell phone camera. I though the contrast between the bright sun and the bluish tint of the shaded snow was beautiful.
sun&snow.jpg
sun&snow.jpg

soberups

Another Kodak moment, seen thru the lens of a lousy cellpone camera. This is a temperature inversion. I am at the highest point of my route, literally above the clouds at about 1300 feet, looking down upon the town I deliver to.There is a layer of cold, foggy air down there that is trapped by a temperature inversion. I spent most of the day in that fog and gloom, but I got to deliver a few stops up high in the sunshine.
inversion.jpg
inversion.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Having lived in Salt Lake City, I understand inversion layers. SLC is like it's in the bottom of a bowl. We had to drive to Park City to see the sun.

soberups

Another BS warning letter

I got a warning letter for an "avoidable accident" due to hitting a branch and putting a dent in the upper corner of the pkg car. :angry:It was night time when I went down there, pitch black outside, and the top of the windshield is tinted. The driveway is off of a 2 lane road with no shoulder, hence no way to park or walk the stop off. The driveway itself is actually a couple of inches narrower than the wheelbase of a P7. I missed the branch on the way in by less than an inch, but hit it on the way out. The only way to avoid it is to run over the bushes on the side opposite the branch. The first pic is on the way in, the second one is on the way out and you can see the dent. The last pic is how close to the edge I had to be on the way out to avoid the branch.
Hindsight is always 20/20 from behind a desk.
upstruck5.jpg
upstruck2.jpg
upstruck4.jpg

over9five

Staff member
Re: Another BS warning letter

I got a warning letter for an "avoidable accident" due to hitting a branch and putting a dent in the upper corner of the pkg car. :angry:It was night time when I went down there, pitch black outside, and the top of the windshield is tinted. The driveway is off of a 2 lane road with no shoulder, hence no way to park or walk the stop off. The driveway itself is actually a couple of inches narrower than the wheelbase of a P7. I missed the branch on the way in by less than an inch, but hit it on the way out. The only way to avoid it is to run over the bushes on the side opposite the branch. The first pic is on the way in, the second one is on the way out and you can see the dent. The last pic is how close to the edge I had to be on the way out to avoid the branch.
Hindsight is always 20/20 from behind a desk.

That's just a cost of providing service. Frame the warning letter and hang it in the man cave.

It doesn`t look like a high dollar landscape job. I`d run over the bushes. Do it enough times and you`ll have your own lane.
Deposit the warning letter next to the similarly valued paperwork, in the bathroom.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It doesn`t look like a high dollar landscape job. I`d run over the bushes. Do it enough times and you`ll have your own lane.
Deposit the warning letter next to the similarly valued paperwork, in the bathroom.

There was a driver I knew that actually saved all his warning letters and used them to wallpaper one of his bathrooms. He had a few screws loose but he was funny most of the time.

Back in the days of smoking we had a guy come out of the meeting in time for the PCM and use it to light his cigarette and throw the remains away.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This was a real Kodak moment that I just happened to see after making a delivery yesterday. Unfortunately, I was only "armed" with an el cheapo cell phone camera. I though the contrast between the bright sun and the bluish tint of the shaded snow was beautiful.
View attachment 4827

Another Kodak moment, seen thru the lens of a lousy cellpone camera. This is a temperature inversion. I am at the highest point of my route, literally above the clouds at about 1300 feet, looking down upon the town I deliver to.There is a layer of cold, foggy air down there that is trapped by a temperature inversion. I spent most of the day in that fog and gloom, but I got to deliver a few stops up high in the sunshine.
View attachment 4829
Sober, these are both wonderful pictures and a high end camera would have made lose their greatness. The 2nd picture actually looks like a Bob Ross painting.

[video=youtube;MghiBW3r65M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MghiBW3r65M[/video]
There was a driver I knew that actually saved all his warning letters and used them to wallpaper one of his bathrooms. He had a few screws loose but he was funny most of the time.
WARNING LANGUAGE!!!

[video=youtube;IWINtUCshxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY[/video]

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Especially for Steve - last roll of Kodachrome is developed and this is one of the pictures:
frame_15 - Rabari Magician.jpg

I never "warmed" up to digital photography until I discovered the tools that allows a photographer to get the rich colors and detail that one gets with film.

To see some other images from the last roll of Kodachrome, go to this site of Steve McCurry, the photographer who took them.

http://stevemccurry.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/the-end-of-an-era-1935-to-2010/
frame_15 - Rabari Magician.jpg