How's the view???........

texan

Are Asian Carp good eating?
Asian Carp: Can't Beat Them? Eat Them

In the Midwest, Asian carp are making their way up the Mississippi River and its tributaries.
The foreign invaders can grow to be 80 to 100 pounds. They're ravenous eaters, consuming
up to 40 percent of their own body weight in plankton each day.

And they're bullies, pushing out weaker, native species.

But downriver, bighead and silver carp are rapidly taking over parts of the Illinois.

And one way to control the population can be phrased this way: "If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em."

On a recent day, Briney and his stepson, Jeremy Fisher, took in about 10,000 to 12,000 pounds
of Asian carp from the Illinois River. Their catch ended up at Schafer Fisheries, a processing
plant in Thomson, Ill.

Plant owner Mike Schafer has spent the last seven years developing a market for Asian carp.
He says his company sells more than 2 million pounds each year — mostly in Asian-American
communities in California, New York and Chicago.

Asian Carp: Can't Beat Them? Eat Them : NPR

texan

No, carp are very bony fish. What funny about carp is Jewish people will not eat catfish as they are bottom feeders and don't have scales, making them non kosher, yet they'll eat carp which is arguably worse.
I agree, I would never eat carp. They are bottom feeders.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Asian Carp: Can't Beat Them? Eat Them

In the Midwest, Asian carp are making their way up the Mississippi River and its tributaries.
The foreign invaders can grow to be 80 to 100 pounds. They're ravenous eaters, consuming
up to 40 percent of their own body weight in plankton each day.

And they're bullies, pushing out weaker, native species.

But downriver, bighead and silver carp are rapidly taking over parts of the Illinois.

And one way to control the population can be phrased this way: "If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em."

On a recent day, Briney and his stepson, Jeremy Fisher, took in about 10,000 to 12,000 pounds
of Asian carp from the Illinois River. Their catch ended up at Schafer Fisheries, a processing
plant in Thomson, Ill.

Plant owner Mike Schafer has spent the last seven years developing a market for Asian carp.
He says his company sells more than 2 million pounds each year — mostly in Asian-American
communities in California, New York and Chicago.

Asian Carp: Can't Beat Them? Eat Them : NPR

Texan, I like it when you post your own thoughts. We all know how to Google.

Depends on the water. All fish as far as being edible depend on the water. As far as carp they produce large fleshy fillets. Farmers raise them in ponds and feed them pellets and I'm sure you've eaten farm raised carp and didn't know it. From the right water I would have no problem eating one.

oldupsman

Oldupsman coming back from the strike in 1976. Notice the attractive beard, long hair, and Eisenhower bomber jacket.
Standing next to the one gas pump outside the center. Wow, we were a big company covering 15 states. Don't think
anybody even knew we were on strike for 3 months.
imagejpeg_2_2 (12).jpg

rod

Retired 23 years
Oldupsman coming back from the strike in 1976. Notice the attractive beard, long hair, and Eisenhower bomber jacket.
Standing next to the one gas pump outside the center. Wow, we were a big company covering 15 states. Don't think
anybody even knew we were on strike for 3 months.

We were only out for 2 weeks. I kind of remember a few locals that held out longer but I forgot it was that long (3 months)

texan

You do not know? :dissapointed:

Besides being a self proclaimed necro poster, you seem to be an entomologist.

Thanks for the ID.

texan

Just wondered. I would have asked you over for a beer or two.

You live near Williamsport? When I was very young, an uncle took me there to watch when I visited kin folk
in the area.

I will never forget it. A childhood memory forever.