How's the view???........

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
images5JLAFKVE.jpg
I got a nice route for you. all farmland....home growers!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a house like that on a route I used to cover with like 6-7 dogs. There is a diad note "use biscuits" for that address...it's a pain trying to drive out of there without running one of them over and the house is like 1/4 mile from the road.
2 tricks I use for this exact scenario:

1. Crush a handful of biscuits up into crumbs and toss it into the bushes. The dogs will go searching for the crumbs while you continue driving up to the house.

2. Stop, open the BH door, toss cookies in back, and once all the dogs are back there shut the door and continue driving up to the house. You cannot run over a dog that is in your truck.

rod

Retired 23 years
One of these days that pack will say screw the treats and eat you instead. They already have that hungry for meat look in their eyes.

My money would be on the springer getting him first. Them springers are weird dogs. One minute they love you and the next minute they will rip your face off.

soberups

The reason dogs circle the truck is because the previous driver brought biscuits. I ain't got time for dogs.
And I don't have time to call in an accident report for running over a dog

I keep a couple of biscuits in my shirt or coat pocket as well as a box in the back. It doesn't take any time at all out of my day to toss biscuits. Dealing with dogs out in the country is part of the job and when you deliver to the same rural area for 20+ years you get to know the people and their dogs and dealing with them becomes part of the routine. None of the dogs that were on the route when I bid it in 1994 are still alive; an entire generation or two of new dogs have replaced them in the subsequent 20 years and during that time period I have NEVER run one over and neither I nor my relief drivers have EVER been bitten. Several on this forum have been critical of the manner in which I deal with dogs and hand out biscuits but the fact is that my success rate in regards to avoiding dog bites and accidents stands at 100% so you cant really argue with my results.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have the same situation the Soberups has. In fact, many of his photos remind me of the "buddies" I have on my route. I give biscuits to all the dogs on my area. They hear the truck and they know their friend is here. I've had more customers tell me that I am the only delivery driver their dog likes and being kind to their pups has generated some nice tips.

soberups

That's not the point.

I love dogs but when I am working I don't have time to play Noah.

Drive at a slow but steady pace and the dogs will move out of the way.
If the driveway is half a mile long its a lot quicker to throw some biscuits out and haul ass up to the house while the dogs look for them.

soberups

That is a FedEx Sprinter van floating in the lake. I feel bad for the poor guy, he was soaking wet from going in the water after it to try and keep it from tipping over.