How's the view???........

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
image.jpg

I LOVE this. Beautiful summer day and three boys out for a day of fishing, fishing poles in hand. No electronics involved, just boys being boys. :)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Mexican stuff is OK, the California stuff is a little better....but in terms of quality nothing beats pure homegrown.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1408050798.558352.jpg

Last edited:

soberups

This is what I call a "Craigslist home run".

A truckload of split and seasoned firewood for $50, stacked up right next to a driveway, less than a mile from my house. Took me less than half an hour to load it up and virtually no gas money to haul in my truck. This would cost at least $200 if I had it delivered in the middle of winter, so instead of paying that I keep an eye on Craigslist and once or twice a year I get a load of wood like this for $50 or less. Sometimes its even free if the people had a tree taken down and dont have a woodstove to burn it in.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1408051646.035300.jpg

soberups

Having firewood stacked and ready before it's needed is a good
feeling......
My goal is to have at least a 3 year supply of firewood on hand.

The longer it sits and seasons, the cleaner it burns. Having 2-3 years worth already stacked means I can score good deals on green unseasoned wood and then just wait a couple of years to burn it instead of needing it right away. I have become a master at scrounging free or super cheap firewood off of Craigslist, there have been entire years where I have heated my home for pennies just by being willing to load and haul the wood myself. The aftermath of a windstorm is a really good time to find free wood, a lot of people wind up having trees blown down in their yard or driveway and if they don't have a woodstove they often just want the wood hauled away for nothing.

soberups

Did you bring the big pieces home to split and add to the stack?
Yep, I took it all. Most of it will split up just fine with my maul and sledgehammer. There are a couple chunks that are too big to fit in the stove and too full of knots to split, I toss stuff like that behind my trailer onto the "campfire" stack.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son moves to Davenport, IA, at the end of the month to start the first of a four-part rotational training program with a company called Cobham. He will be at each stop for 9 months. Time to start paying down some of that $73K in student loan debt.

Resident know-it-all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

73k. Ouch. Thanks to my generosity my kids will all owe in the low 30s.

The bulk of that ($50K) was for his MBA, which was completely on his dime. Mom and I split his first year of undergrad---he partied and was asked not to come back for his sophomore year. Mom and I cut off the checkbook. He graduated with honors from both his 2 and 4 year schools and earned a 3.8 at Clarkson. Yes, the debt sucks, but he can truthfully say he earned all 3 of his degrees and is hoping to have it paid off in 10 years or less.

Resident know-it-all.