I’m the worst preloader

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
At my hub if you are able to split the front of the belt while also loading 2 trucks management considers you a valuable asset even though they won't tell you that because they want you to work harder. Work at a safe brisk pace and if you have to stack out then do so neatly so as to not block egress. It gets alot easier when you get to know the route you're loading. If your driver is nice they might come in a few minutes early and help you wrap your truck up but don't be offended if they don't as they are not suppose too. Also part-time sups are usually a holes that couldn't make it doing preload and somehow made there way into management. Never trust management or hr and figure out who the shop stewards are and become friends with them.

do you know what the word punctuation means?

I need an Advil

Kingofthenorth

Lol.
You're needy. And still almost assuredly doing fine.

My first 3 months, I did probably 8 different spots. It's something you're going to have to get used to, until they find a little slice of hell that you can call home.

Basically, we have a certain number of preloaders, and most preloaders have their own area to load. All areas covered. Until someone goes on vacation. Then someone has to cover it.
Which will be the low guy (sorry, gal) on the totem pole.

Splitting the belt and loading two trucks is a full area where I am. Might not be the hardest area, but it's a real area.

You aren't going to be fired. I was a horrific preloader for a year. I tried. But I was still terrible. As long as you show up, keep trying your best, and don't punch anyone, you're fine.

Relax. This job is not worth taking stress home over. The fact that you care means that you are already miles ahead of most of your coworkers.
You don't have to try your best. You just have to put stuff around where they go. Trying your best is really a double edge sword. Drivers will love you but you are much more likely to get injured and be out of a job due to increasing trucks/work etc. They can't keep preloaders. I have never even seen a preloaded get fired for preloaded no matter how bad they are.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
You don't have to try your best. You just have to put stuff around where they go. Trying your best is really a double edge sword. Drivers will love you but you are much more likely to get injured and be out of a job due to increasing trucks/work etc. They can't keep preloaders. I have never even seen a preloaded get fired for preloaded no matter how bad they are.
Sure. You can be a bad preloader.
No one will stop you.

I choose to do my best. Almost 5 years and counting. I still take pride in my work.

Kingofthenorth

No one will stop you.

I choose to do my best. Almost 5 years and counting. I still take pride in my work.
What do you think the advantages of being a great preload as opposed to a bad preloader are? My building would reward you with 4 or even 5 trucks. If you sucked you were in easy positions.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Because I'm a realist who sees the world for what it is...

And I understand the nature of the job...

This is really all I ask of preload.
No one will stop you.

But this....

Shows true character of an individual.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
What do you think the advantages of being a great preload as opposed to a bad preloader are? My building would reward you with 4 or even 5 trucks. If you sucked you were in easy positions.
It's important to know that the raw speed at which you can hurtle cardboard through the rear doors all the way into the cabin does not determine if you are a crap preloader or not. At some point even, the overdispatch relies so heavily on an organized preloader that it actually causes raw, unfiltered havoc every week I take a vacation.

Last edited:

BrownSnowFlake

When I split the belt on the preload that was it, there was no loading trucks. Sometimes they even sent a second splitter to help me. But our unload had 6 doors for comparison, and I was splitting to at least two dozen trucks.

When you're green they're gonna send you wherever they need a body. Just do your best. Hang in there bud. It never gets easier but you will get more capable of dealing with it.

Kingofthenorth

It's important to know that the raw speed at which you can hurtle cardboard through the rear doors all the way into the cabin does not determine if you are a crap preloader or not. At some point even, the overdispatch relies so heavily on an organized preloader that it actually causes raw, unfiltered havoc every week I take a vacation.

Tell that to preload management

Kingofthenorth

Because I'm a realist who sees the world for what it is...

And I understand the nature of the job...

This is really all I ask of preload.

But this....

Shows true character of an individual.
And what do you say to the preloader who were Greta but are out of a job and day job due to injury?

takesteady

On some days you just won’t be able to keep up with their ridiculous production standards, which fortunately for us the union doesn’t recognize. There’s no point in working unsafely in order to impress a supervisor, you’re not getting a raise no matter how fast you are.

When they hassle you, just tell them you are working as fast as possible and to the best of your ability. But the secret is to ACTUALLY mean it. Take pride in doing your job well and safely. If you do that and don’t treat it like an empty phrase, your bases will always be covered and your job will always be safe. This mentality makes the job so much less stressful.

Phraust

Nobody, and I mean nobody in history has ever been disqualified in there 30 days as a package handler. Not even me, three hours late five nights a week
You must have some very soft spined managers or you're REALLY hard pressed for bodies. We have a free pass on drivers coming in 2 hours before their start times to get some extra time on the Preload cause we're so strapped for people! However my center manager will still cut someone early if she thinks they'll be a problem down the road or if they earn themselves what would be a termination later post seniority. For example just had a sit down with someone not even 50 days in and already No Called 5 times, they're no longer with the company.

When I split the belt on the preload that was it, there was no loading trucks. Sometimes they even sent a second splitter to help me. But our unload had 6 doors for comparison, and I was splitting to at least two dozen trucks.
What's your typical non peak volume for the building? Cause that sounds like what I used to do except they stuck me with 1 Truck(sometimes 2), expected me to help my neighbor and almost NEVER got me help unless one of my 2 bulk stops blew up suddenly.

Whereistheunion

Update: it’s my second week. Apparently I suck so bad at preloading they put me on another belt. My job is to split the belt and load two trucks. Full-time sup came by and asked me how I was and I said the difficulty wasn’t as bad. I’m still tired because it’s a lot. All the while I’m supposed to listen to the other pt sup discuss safety and tell me to hustle and be urgent. I’m so slow. Is there any hope for me? Other than that, I am much happier where I was moved to because that last lady was hard. I almost feel like I’m going to lose my job if I don’t get better! (Or at least that’s what they make me feel like.) Thanks a lot for reading. I’m just venting.
Splitting the belt and preloading 2 cars sounds extremely crappie for a new hire ask management nicely since your in your probation period if you can just load a set. Sounds like your better than what you give yourself credit for. Prove your worth and make some driver the perfect load. And transfer to my hub and become my preloader..