If you are thinking about voting NO…

Superteeth2478

Like I said, yeah I’ll come in to load my truck (1)because part-timers are going to quit even more now with the increase of productivity that the company is going to push. Already happens in some locations.
If you come in to load they will instruct you to load the 4-7 car pull. They ain't gonna pay you $50 an hour to stand around and massage your load.

Superteeth2478

As a complete aside, I heard some part-time supervisors crying today because their wage rates are stagnating while the people they supervise are getting a raise. It gives me tingles in a silly place thinking that. #GETWREKD, you signed up to do a stupid job, now accept the stupid consequences that come with it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
1690888361345.png

yadadamean116

It's not about who's gonna be fine, it's about what's being touted as huge wins. That's like saying that because our pension plan is healthy and didn't need a bailout, we should take money and give it to the Central States because they need it more. It's a bull:censored2: game of 3-card Monty. It would've cost ~$300M to maintain increases at the same standard as last contract, gtfoh with this $30B "win." They can shove these raises up their asses if it costs my pension increases.
A raise is guaranteed money in my pocket. A pension is not. I’ll say it again pensions are garbage

Undertow

I guess I was wrong. I always thought you were smarter than that. PVD's are going to replace RPCD's ? Yeah, right.

They need to deliver those extra millions of packages during peak.. How do you suppose it gets done?
I've rarely seen any in my center outside of peak. Most drivers really didn't mind them being around for 5 or 6 weeks as ever since that mess at the end of 2013 they just want to get home well before 10pm at night. As things were, there weren't enough trucks even with the rentals to move all the volume anyhow and with COVID slowing so much production down it was nearly a year and a half before any new brown trucks were added to our building's lineup.

Our stewards and BA'S viewed the opposition to the use of them as more of a negotiation tactic to extract concessions elsewhere and not much more. If there's areas where PVD'S are working while RPCD'S are losing hours while empty trucks are sitting on the property, then that understandably would be an issue.

Undertow

How did it get done before they existed? Just askin'
Well keep in mind that before they existed, the peak seasons weren't nearly as unpredictably chaotic compared to what's been seen these last 10 years with volume just overwhelming so many older facilities not built to process that much that fast.

Not every building can expand to the capacity needed to take on the waves that hit from beginning to end of the holiday season given how online purchases have snowballed.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Well keep in mind that before they existed, the peak seasons weren't nearly as unpredictably chaotic compared to what's been seen these last 10 years with volume just overwhelming so many older facilities not built to process that much that fast.

Not every building can expand to the capacity needed to take on the waves that hit from beginning to end of the holiday season given how online purchases have snowballed.
Oh- thank you for pointing that out...

Wally

Wut? Peak was a cluster 13 hour day.

Peak that past few years is gravy.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

How do PVD's delivering out of their personal vehicles somehow help these older facilities to "expand" to accommodate today's "overwhelming Peak volume"?

I don't see the correlation.

BobJ

A raise is guaranteed money in my pocket. A pension is not. I’ll say it again pensions are garbage

If you take the pension contribution money and gave it to an Employee instead... and that employee invests it in a 401k, or a mutual fund... over 30yrs ($25k/yr in contributions, $14/hr)

The resulting cash amount will be $400k/yr from $8mil in stocks. (5% withdrawal rate that will last till you die, and probably still leave millions to your kids).

or you can be happy with $60k/yr from the pension.

This is the same reasoning why people hate social security.

Wally

If you take the pension contribution money and gave it to an Employee instead... and that employee invests it in a 401k, or a mutual fund... over 30yrs ($25k/yr in contributions, $14/hr)

The resulting cash amount will be $400k/yr from $8mil in stocks. (5% withdrawal rate that will last till you die, and probably still leave millions to your kids).

or you can be happy with $60k/yr from the pension.

This is the same reasoning why people hate social security.
How much is currently added for pension per week?

Add in some life insurance for the duration.

Undertow

How do PVD's delivering out of their personal vehicles somehow help these older facilities to "expand" to accommodate today's "overwhelming Peak volume"?

I don't see the correlation.
Because older facilities clearly can't process high volume at a rate newer buildings can. The building I work out of was built in the 1960's on land with no room for expansion. Peak volume was manageable up until the uptick in online shipping. After that, even starting the preload at midnight couldn't process the number of trailers arriving nightly much less account for the difference between "cold" and "hot" volume.

If 15% of the volume hasn't managed to be unloaded and put onto trucks by 845 am, then PVD'S rolling into the building shortly after 9am is a far more effective and preferable alternative than RPCD'S with NDA commits sitting inside until 10am or after. The company relies on it because it's often a far more effective strategy in dealing with temporary surges in volume and not a single driver in my building wants to decline the opportunity to leave the building at the scheduled start.

As I stated previously, if there's FT hourlies laid off outside of peak while PVD'S are working, that's another matter entirely. But after the nightmare peak of 2013 and near capsizing in 2017, drivers by and large aren't all that motivated to pick the issue of eliminating all use of PVD'S as the hill to fight and die on.