Local 2727 UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad company

semi-pro
I will bet you, lets say a two week suspension from BC that UPS will lose that lawsuit.

This lawsuit will never see the time of day in a court room. It is frivolous and without merit.

Upstate is correct about it being a service mark. We could have a service level called "UPS Teleport", but it doesn't mean we would be bound by law to have to teleport those packages. It is no different than us currently putting many packages on a trains for longer journeys. We don't have a service called UPS Caboose. And think about all those law offices and financial firms that ship via UPS Next Day Air to send an envelope 5 miles away on the other side of a metropolis. I can assure you those very same customers that use our service do not expect us to fly their documents from one sky scraper over to the other. Next day Air is simply a name that we use to identify a service level, with the important part being the "guaranteed to be delivered no later than" not guaranteed to be put on a plane, truck, rail, or other form of transportation.

pomf

The only part of that lawsuit that might have merit is the jet fuel surcharges. How can you charge that if they didn't put it on a plane?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only part of that lawsuit that might have merit is the jet fuel surcharges. How can you charge that if they didn't put it on a plane?

As of 4/5/10, the fuel surcharge for ground and air are 5% and 7% respectively. I suppose they could refund the 2% on those air packages that never see the inside of an airplane.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I've seen this same stupid argument on other sites on the Internet.
It is not "fraud" at all.
"Next Day Air" is a product. Period.
You are absolutely correct in that the Customer is paying for a level of service and not an airplane ride.
Why an employee would like to see their employer lose a lawsuit is beyond me.
I would like to hear some details on this "outsourcing to China" spin.
For those that don't know, airplane checks are performed at calendar, hourly or flight cycle required. If the airplane bumps up against the maximum limit and the airplane is somewhere other than in the 2727 hands, it makes complete sense to do the work wherever the airplane is. Maximizing the time the airplane operates far outweighs doing the work early. But that is from a business perspective, of which very few union airline mechanics seem to have very little of.

air_something

Angry Monkey - 2nd Order
UPS mechanics do not perform heavy checks, that is work that is contracted out and when the checks are due the plane is flown direct (and empty of revenue, I believe) to the contracted facility. The checks are planned about a year to a year and a half before they are due, which is easy for UPS because they are a low time operator so they are always calendar driven.

unionman

I've seen this same stupid argument on other sites on the Internet.
It is not "fraud" at all.
"Next Day Air" is a product. Period.
You are absolutely correct in that the Customer is paying for a level of service and not an airplane ride.
Why an employee would like to see their employer lose a lawsuit is beyond me.
For those that don't know, airplane checks are performed at calendar, hourly or flight cycle required. If the airplane bumps up against the maximum limit and the airplane is somewhere other than in the 2727 hands, it makes complete sense to do the work wherever the airplane is. Maximizing the time the airplane operates far outweighs doing the work early. But that is from a business perspective, of which very few union airline mechanics seem to have very little of.

Who are you? UPS will lose this because the customer is buying an air product that never gets off the ground. You say, "who cares how it gets there". Customer says that he is paying a premium for an advertised air product. False advertising.
The reason I want them to lose this is because UPS is laying us off and getting rid of airplanes by shipping air products on the ground. Not to mention having our work done in China and laying us off.

Obi-Wan

FXDWG,

Sure it makes perfect sense when all of the mechanics are back and working, but until then, it's wrong to farm out our work. How about we farm out your work? Wouldn't that make "perfect sense"? What would you say then when you are out on the street?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Who are you? UPS will lose this because the customer is buying an air product that never gets off the ground. You say, "who cares how it gets there". Customer says that he is paying a premium for an advertised air product. False advertising.
The reason I want them to lose this is because UPS is laying us off and getting rid of airplanes by shipping air products on the ground. Not to mention having our work done in China and laying us off.
If you don't like it...quit!

This seems like an appropriate response to your argument.
I could easily dissect your response but I won't. The underlined comment needs to be re-thought.

(I have to ask this): Do you really believe that we're scrapping/seling multi-million dollar (book value) aircraft because we (just now) have discovered that it is better for us to move certain product by Ground than Air??? With this logic, why did we not "get rid of" Drivers when the Airline started???

Who am I??? I am a Shareholder!! This is a public forum.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
FXDWG,

Sure it makes perfect sense when all of the mechanics are back and working, but until then, it's wrong to farm out our work. How about we farm out your work? Wouldn't that make "perfect sense"? What would you say then when you are out on the street?

I'm sorry. I was speaking from a purely business perspective (didn't I preface my comments with that)?
If it was my job, I'd see it coming and prepare. That is why I have over $100K liquid.
I DO NOT mean to boast or come off like an ass, but the point is that you should have some $$$ available for unlikely events.
My skills are such that I could get a job anywhere if I lost this one.
As much as some people here seem to hate UPS, they will not hesitate to use them on their resume and I assurre you that having UPS on your resume is worth far more than FDX/GE/PG/etc.

My opinion is that you 2727 guys are too adamant on what you will not accept and do not have a Win-Win POV.
I like the dividends, but hate to see the BS on this forum about the company.

UPSSOCKS

FXDWG,

I must intervene.. It is not your work.. You work as instructed and do the work you are asked to do. It's the companies work to do with what they please. In the end no matter what your crooked union tells you, it is the companies work. You just pay your union dues while union officials turn a blind eye to the breaches of contracts that go on DAILY EVERYWHERE...........

UPSSOCKS

Alot of Air never gets off the ground and still makes service... I know you are not intelligent, that is why you had to resort to the teamsters, but NDA has no law that the package has to actually be shipped by air... Alot of Air can be serviced by ground... That is why we are laying you bums off, you're stupid....

How's that strike going.... I think you really got everyone scared.......

unionman

If you don't like it...quit!

This seems like an appropriate response to your argument.
I could easily dissect your response but I won't. The underlined comment needs to be re-thought.

(I have to ask this): Do you really believe that we're scrapping/seling multi-million dollar (book value) aircraft because we (just now) have discovered that it is better for us to move certain product by Ground than Air??? With this logic, why did we not "get rid of" Drivers when the Airline started???

Who am I??? I am a Shareholder!! This is a public forum.

Why would I quit? I choose to fight corporate idiots that throw money away just so they can keep there foot on there employee's necks. UPS is a great company that is run by fools like UPSUCKS. Can you believe this guy is a manager? He should be in a mental hospital.
As for the aircraft being scrapped, ask Lee about the revenue we could have had from the Government if he would have bid on it, instead he chose to get rid of our payed for aircraft. I'm a shareholder too and I am not pleased with how this management team is squandering revenue just to stay in there little box save and sound.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Why would I quit? I choose to fight corporate idiots that throw money away just so they can keep there foot on there employee's necks. UPS is a great company that is run by fools like UPSUCKS. Can you believe this guy is a manager? He should be in a mental hospital.
As for the aircraft being scrapped, ask Lee about the revenue we could have had from the Government if he would have bid on it, instead he chose to get rid of our payed for aircraft. I'm a shareholder too and I am not pleased with how this management team is squandering revenue just to stay in there little box save and sound.

This issue is obviously way over your head. "Squandering revenue"?? This term doesn't even make sense. "Save and sound"?? This isn't even an accurate phrase.

unionman

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- UPS reported after the closing bell on Wednesday that its first-quarter profit jumped by a third thanks to increased global demand for the company's package shipping services.
UPS shares closed up almost 1% at $65.45 and jumped another 3.6% to $67.80 after the release. The stock has lost 10% so far this year.
The Atlanta-based company posted earnings of 53 cents a share, up from 40 cents a share in the year-earlier period.
Excluding one-time items, UPS said it pocketed 71 cents a share, which easily topped Wall Street targets.
Analysts polled by FactSet Research forecast a profit, on average, of 57 cents a share on revenue of $11.56 billion.
"We expected the first quarter to be the most challenging of 2010 as the economic recovery gathered steam through the year," CFO Kurt Kuehn said. "As it turned out, revenue was stronger than we expected due to international volume gains, increased yields in the U.S. and growth in forwarding and logistics."
UPS also raised its outlook for the year to an adjusted profit of $3.05 to $3.30 a share, up from its prior range of $2.70 to $3.05 a share. Wall Street previously forecast a full-year profit of $2.93 a share.
The company said it will provide full details on its financials during its first-quarter conference call on April 27.

UPS better buy some planes fast....

airbusfxr

Good report, check FDX's stock price. I heard my Center Mgr crying about Service Failures for Jan 90k, Feb 143k, Mar 128k, for a grand total of 361k free NDA Packages due to broke planes. The MD 11s top the fleet with a total of 192k missed service commitments for the first 3 months of the year. Layoff more pilots and mechanics, ship more PMCs to Europe, and see how many customers get tired of this type of behavior. Maybe this PMC settlement will bring back AMTs but our sup told us there would be a line set up and the PMCs would be done here, like a chain gang.

unionman

Good report, check FDX's stock price. I heard my Center Mgr crying about Service Failures for Jan 90k, Feb 143k, Mar 128k, for a grand total of 361k free NDA Packages due to broke planes. The MD 11s top the fleet with a total of 192k missed service commitments for the first 3 months of the year. Layoff more pilots and mechanics, ship more PMCs to Europe, and see how many customers get tired of this type of behavior. Maybe this PMC settlement will bring back AMTs but our sup told us there would be a line set up and the PMCs would be done here, like a chain gang.

check this out..............................................................................

FDX - MORE 777's for FedEx

Just played golf with four mechanics that work in hangar 11. They said that we just bought two MORE Air France 777's that are coming soon. Total 777's by the end of this calendar year will be 13.

The two white ones over at the hangar now have to have some floor modification done near the aft part of the airplane and they are waiting on the fix.

mrv

UPS is scrambling to pull those Cargolux 400's out of the desert now. This recovery and Arbitration has caught them with their pants down......Not enough lift, mechs or pilots. Next week will be interesting since they won't be able to poor mouth us during negotiations anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.