Meaningless Fluff

rod

Retired 23 years
If you want sticker shock, Dave, my 2011 4-cyl 4wd Tacoma uses six quarts of synthetic.

Good thing I get coupons from the dealer!

If you guys really want sticker shock buy a Harley. Here what just basic service costs on my new Ultra Classic at the dealer.

1st service at 1000 miles---$276.30 --- included oil change and check over--no other parts except filter and gaskets.

2nd service at 3,000 miles.---$273.66--- included oil change and check over--no other parts other than filter and gaskets.

3rd service at 6,000 miles---same as 2nd service

4th service at 10,000 miles---$415.69---included oil change and check major over---no other parts except filter, gaskets and spark plugs.

Now that it is out of warranty I will do oil changes and light maintenance myself every 5,000 miles and save a bunch. Harleys aren't cheap to own but neither is any other motorcycle.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
If you guys really want sticker shock buy a Harley. Here what just basic service costs on my new Ultra Classic at the dealer.

1st service at 1000 miles---$276.30 --- included oil change and check over--no other parts except filter and gaskets.

2nd service at 3,000 miles.---$273.66--- included oil change and check over--no other parts other than filter and gaskets.

3rd service at 6,000 miles---same as 2nd service

4th service at 10,000 miles---$415.69---included oil change and check major over---no other parts except filter, gaskets and spark plugs.

Now that it is out of warranty I will do oil changes and light maintenance myself every 5,000 miles and save a bunch. Harleys aren't cheap to own but neither is any other motorcycle.
The dealer isn't cheap. I had a couple friends negotiate the first service or 2 into the purchase deal. Local non-HD shop does those services cheaper, but, significantly cheaper, I don't know.

rod

Retired 23 years
The dealer isn't cheap. I had a couple friends negotiate the first service or 2 into the purchase deal. Local non-HD shop does those services cheaper, but, significantly cheaper, I don't know.

Yes there are several reputable Harley mechanics around my area but as long as the bike was under warranty I wanted to do it right and use the dealer. I have to admit that this was the first high buck new motorcycle I have ever owned so I was kind of blindsided when it came time to do basic service work on it. It was one of those "I want it---I bought it" situations and in hindsight I should have did some more homework before hand (not that that would have stopped me from buying it). The Harley dealer probably won't be getting anymore of my $$$ for service work. They get enough of it for "bling".

rod

Retired 23 years
Are you sure it's "look over" and not "bend over"?

Oh it's definitely a "bend over" As a side note I read the other day that to have a new headlight put in one of the new Toyota Cameras cost upwards of $700.00. It requires something like 47 different pieces of the car to be removed to get at the light bulb.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It normally cost about 30 bucks on average (with filter) for a place to do the change but keep in mind they are user the cheapest products. I can do my own change using synthetic and a OEM filter for the same price. Takes me less than 10 mins.
I just do use conventional, usually 5-W30. A 5 quart container of conventional oil at auto zone is 19.99 + tax and if I do an el cheapo Fram oil filter it's 4.19 plus tax (K&N is 13.99). So cheap way out for conventional oil change myself is $24.18+tax. The local oil change places charge 19.99+tax and they also top off washer fluid for free.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
No joke. This mostly applies to diesels. The size of the filter causes a considerable delay in pressure building as the filter fills on initial startup at the change. It always helps if you can do it, but it's not so crucial for gas engines.
Oil coming out is no problem if the base faces up. Obviously this isn't always possible.

Bottom rung

That took place not to far from here, I lived down there for a short time. It's a big deal there. The local news would always have a few minutes coverage of the festivities, but nothing.