MN Riots Moving To The Burbs???

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Who said they didn’t?

Why are you guys ok with bad cops killing white people?
False Dichotomy

This fallacy has a few other names: “black-and-white fallacy,” “either-or fallacy,” “false dichotomy,” and “bifurcation fallacy.” This line of reasoning fails by limiting the options to two when there are in fact more options to choose from. Sometimes the choices are between one thing, the other thing, or both things together (they don’t exclude each other). Sometimes there is a whole range of options, three, four, five, or a hundred and forty-five. However it may happen, the false dichotomy fallacy errs by oversimplifying the range of options.

The false dilemma fallacy is often a manipulative tool designed to polarize the audience, heroicizing one side and demonizing the other. It’s common in political discourse as a way of strong-arming the public into supporting controversial legislation or policies.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
There are plenty of methods that don’t involve choke holds that strangle men to death.
No, I didn't mean it thst way. There should be discussions about dealing with resisting arrest.

If George Floyd gets right into the car after being arrested, is he alive right now? By no means does that excuse the cops actions, but I believe the answer is yes.

It will be fine

No, I didn't mean it thst way. There should be discussions about dealing with resisting arrest.

If George Floyd gets right into the car after being arrested, is he alive right now? By no means does that excuse the cops actions, but I believe the answer is yes.
The answer is also yes if the police used a less lethal method to subdue him. We can’t easily control the behavior of criminal suspects, we can control the behavior of police. Deescalation, use of force doctrines and actual accountability would go a long way.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The answer is also yes if the police used a less lethal method to subdue him. We can’t easily control the behavior of criminal suspects, we can control the behavior of police. Deescalation, use of force doctrines and actual accountability would go a long way.
Maybe a stretcher? One thing though, I would thing additional charges should be added.

oldngray

nowhere special
Less lethal isn't non lethal. There is always a chance of death.

oldngray

nowhere special
Agreed. Some people are going to die at police hands. This guy didn’t need to, I would suspect a large percentage that do currently didn’t need to either. We can do better.
It wasn't really him using his knee as much as he was negligent in not noticing his prisoner was in distress. Good chance of a manslaughter conviction but not murder 1.

It will be fine

Maybe a stretcher? One thing though, I would thing additional charges should be added.
One reform I heard proposed today was an obligation for other officers to intervene with excess force. If the Asian guy had turned around and told the guy to get off the outcome could have been different. Currently he has no obligation to do that and will face no consequences for not doing it. Seems like a basic reform to me.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
One reform I heard proposed today was an obligation for other officers to intervene with excess force. If the Asian guy had turned around and told the guy to get off the outcome could have been different. Currently he has no obligation to do that and will face no consequences for not doing it. Seems like a basic reform to me.
I agree with you in principle but no one knows if the outcome would have been different.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not. I've been seeing comments on social media that all lives matter is racist.
So why don’t white people protest when a white person is wrongly attacked or killed by cops? You don’t think black people would come out to support that?

bbsam

Staff member
False Dichotomy

This fallacy has a few other names: “black-and-white fallacy,” “either-or fallacy,” “false dichotomy,” and “bifurcation fallacy.” This line of reasoning fails by limiting the options to two when there are in fact more options to choose from. Sometimes the choices are between one thing, the other thing, or both things together (they don’t exclude each other). Sometimes there is a whole range of options, three, four, five, or a hundred and forty-five. However it may happen, the false dichotomy fallacy errs by oversimplifying the range of options.

The false dilemma fallacy is often a manipulative tool designed to polarize the audience, heroicizing one side and demonizing the other. It’s common in political discourse as a way of strong-arming the public into supporting controversial legislation or policies.
Well what’s the implication of asking if white people have been unjustly killed by police?