Old cars rotting away on your route?

texan

So should I start buying 80's cars now and stick them in a barn?

.......Oh wait they would of had to of made cars worthy of collecting in the 80's first.
Only one, (and I know there a few more) and here we go with an another argument...........
Buick Grand Nationals did very well for the 80s................
Kind of ironic. One of the most powerful stock 1970s muscle car was a Buick also.
The GSX 455.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The Monte Carlo SS Camero and trans ams were decent 80's cars.

Late 90's is when you really lose almost all muscle cars.

98-2002 trans am is a car ill buy in the next few years and hold on to though.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is an old Mopar, I think its either a Dodge Charger or a Plymouth Super Bee, not quite sure. Its been sitting there for years, I'm amazed that the owner hasnt at least parted it out. The sheet metal and glass are all good, it has to be worth something.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
This is an old Mopar, I think its either a Dodge Charger or a Plymouth Super Bee, not quite sure. Its been sitting there for years, I'm amazed that the owner hasnt at least parted it out. The sheet metal and glass are all good, it has to be worth something.

Early 70s Charger

soberups

I used to own this truck. Bought it back in '99 for $1500. Its a '78 Chevy 1500 4x4 with a 350 V8 and Turbo 350 trans. It had about 130,000 original miles on it back then. I knew the former owner, he had had it for years. The only flaw was it had been T-boned in a wreck and took out the driver side door, so he bought a used door at a boneyard that was kinda beat up and the color (pumpkin orange) looked like crap on a green body. I put about 5,000 miles on it in 3 years and sold it to another guy for what I had into it. It has changed owners 3 more times in the last 10 years, and I still see it running around town. I have delivered stuff to every subsequent owner and we always chat about how the old truck is still hanging in there. Its got close to 200K on the odometer now and it still fires right up, its like a cockroach that just refuses to die.

soberups

Door still orange?

No, when I had it I took a spray can of grey primer to it. I only used the truck for firewood hauling/dump runs/ 4-wheel drive on snow days, so I wasnt too concerned about cosmetics. I just didnt want it to be an eyesore. 12 yrs later its still in primer. A decent paint job would cost way more than the truck is even worth at this point.

soberups

One of the nice things about those 70's era Chevys is that they are easy to work on with basic tools. I am no mechanic, but when the alternator on mine died I swapped it out myself in about 10 minutes with nothing but a crescent wrench and a couple of sockets. Good luck doing that on a modern vehicle!

Brownslave688

I used to own this truck. Bought it back in '99 for $1500. Its a '78 Chevy 1500 4x4 with a 350 V8 and Turbo 350 trans. It had about 130,000 original miles on it back then. I knew the former owner, he had had it for years. The only flaw was it had been T-boned in a wreck and took out the driver side door, so he bought a used door at a boneyard that was kinda beat up and the color (pumpkin orange) looked like crap on a green body. I put about 5,000 miles on it in 3 years and sold it to another guy for what I had into it. It has changed owners 3 more times in the last 10 years, and I still see it running around town. I have delivered stuff to every subsequent owner and we always chat about how the old truck is still hanging in there. Its got close to 200K on the odometer now and it still fires right up, its like a cockroach that just refuses to die.

From two years before I was born until the day I graduated my dad had 1979 3/4 ton gmc. He paid cash for it at the dealer with 15 miles on it. Had around 85k on it when he sold it. I hated that truck growing up. I wish I had it now though. Lifted 73-87 Chevy gmc trucks are as good as it gets in my book.

Brownslave688

From what I see these days,I'd say the engineers are designing engine compartments to deliberately to discourage ANY diy work.

Yep I truly do believe this. My buddy that was a mechanic for 3 or so years of high school quit pretty much for this reason. He was like in high school I loved working on all my old cars. Then I got in a dealership and I was like friend this.

soberups

From what I see these days,I'd say the engineers are designing engine compartments to deliberately to discourage ANY diy work.

My current truck is a '96 friend-250 4x4 with a 351 Winsdor and an automatic. I took one look under the hood and decided that I wouldnt be doing any work on it myself. There is too much emissions and A/C hardware in the way.