Old cars rotting away on your route?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
From two years before I was born until the day I graduated my dad had 1979 3/4 ton gmc. He paid cash for it at the dealer with 15 miles on it. Had around 85k on it when he sold it. I hated that truck growing up. I wish I had it now though. Lifted 73-87 Chevy gmc trucks are as good as it gets in my book.

I've owned 3 of 'em, they were all great rigs. One flaw you see in the older ones is that the hood hinges get sticky, if you dont lube them then the hood itself actually bends in the middle when you close it and there is a permanent, visible crease in the metal.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
From what I see these days,I'd say the engineers are designing engine compartments to deliberately to discourage ANY diy work.

My current truck is a '96 friend-250 4x4 with a 351 Winsdor and an automatic. I took one look under the hood and decided that I wouldnt be doing any work on it myself. There is too much emissions and A/C hardware in the way.
I have a 91 gmc full size and a 97 ranger. Both are a total breeze to work on compared to my wife's mazda 6

S

serenity now

65 chevy stepside * drove it for 21 years * 6 cyl. 230, 3 on the tree, manual choke, heater, no radio * lots of room in the engine compartment; if you dropped a wrench it would actualy hit the ground

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
65 chevy stepside * drove it for 21 years * 6 cyl. 230, 3 on the tree, manual choke, heater, no radio * lots of room in the engine compartment; if you dropped a wrench it would actualy hit the ground

I had a 68 Chevy with the straight six and the 3 on the tree. Open the giant hood and this little engine is sitting there all by itself. The shifter on the column kept jamming so I bought a floor shifter and put that in instead. Shifted great after that but the throw was pretty long.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I had a 68 Chevy with the straight six and the 3 on the tree. Open the giant hood and this little engine is sitting there all by itself. The shifter on the column kept jamming so I bought a floor shifter and put that in instead. Shifted great after that but the throw was pretty long.

I learned to drive in a '67 friend-150 with the 300 straight 6 and a 4 speed with granny low first gear. You could literally climb in under the hood and stand inside next to that long, skinny engine.

Brownslave688

I learned to drive in a '67 friend-150 with the 300 straight 6 and a 4 speed with granny low first gear. You could literally climb in under the hood and stand inside next to that long, skinny engine.

My 65 mustang has an inline 6. I remember the first time I opened the hood. I was probably 10-12. I was like where's the rest of it? Lol. Now I'm putting a 351 in it. It won't be quite so empty anymore.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I've owned 3 of 'em, they were all great rigs. One flaw you see in the older ones is that the hood hinges get sticky, if you dont lube them then the hood itself actually bends in the middle when you close it and there is a permanent, visible crease in the metal.
​love these too. My first new truck was an 87. Last year of that body style. Still have an 82 & an 84. Both have seen better days though. Anything major breaks & they will be retired

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
​love these too. My first new truck was an 87. Last year of that body style. Still have an 82 & an 84. Both have seen better days though. Anything major breaks & they will be retired

Feel free to ask a technical question on them if you need to. I may be of some assistance. Fluid changing is the one area where new vehicles haven't gotten too bad.

rod

Retired 23 years
Feel free to ask a technical question on them if you need to. I may be of some assistance. Fluid changing is the one area where new vehicles haven't gotten too bad.

I gave up changing oil myself after the cars got so low you had to drive them up on ramps to get under them. That and the fact that you could have someone else do the dirty work for just about as cheap as you could buy the oil and filter for yourself.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I just don't trust those lube places. Heard too many stories on destroyed oil plugs. That's just me. "too bad" is a relative term for me.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
I just don't trust those lube places. Heard too many stories on destroyed oil plugs. That's just me. "too bad" is a relative term for me.

Agreed. I had oil plug leak after going to one of those quick oil change places. I went back and they put in new plug and more oil. Two oil changes for the price of one!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Agreed. I had oil plug leak after going to one of those quick oil change places. I went back and they put in new plug and more oil. Two oil changes for the price of one!

Same thing happened to me, and I also don't trust them to do what their supposed to as far as greasing anything that may need it.
I just remembered, her new car has basic maintenance included, still don't think I trust the stealership enough to use that. I'll do it myself

Brownslave688

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366170238.544329.jpg

New one I saw today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366170238.544329.jpg