Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

Inthegame

The bargaining unit has increased as a result of the knee jerk reaction to the peak season debacle of 2013, not ORION.
OK
So being properly prepared for peak was a knee jerk reaction? Really think that was the case? Two extra delivery days, no weather issues to speak of and voila, we had a good peak. Had they not prepared and weather hit like it is now, the PR disaster would have cost more than the overstaffing.
The BU has increased because of the failure of ORION to achieve the expected results. Might happen eventually but right now there are more drivers than before ORION, and we're not in peak. Once again the old adage of "do it their way and you'll make more money" is being proven.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have the same situation in my building except the laid off drivers are working two sorts inside to keep their benefits and have a paycheck. I can't believe an employee with 11 years is sitting at home unless that is his choice.
They aren't allowed to bump back in the sorts in my local since we have a local seniority practice in our local rider.
While the issue is silent in our rider, the company takes the position that Art 3 of Central Region Supplement doesn't apply.
Somehow though, the company still feels they have a right to use single day vacation driver, which is only provided for in...you guessed...Art 3 of the Central Region Supplement.
The local seems to be waiting for the company to change their mind out of the goodness of their heart.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
OK
So being properly prepared for peak was a knee jerk reaction? Really think that was the case? Two extra delivery days, no weather issues to speak of and voila, we had a good peak. Had they not prepared and weather hit like it is now, the PR disaster would have cost more than the overstaffing.
The BU has increased because of the failure of ORION to achieve the expected results. Might happen eventually but right now there are more drivers than before ORION, and we're not in peak. Once again the old adage of "do it their way and you'll make more money" is being proven.
Properly prepared, or over prepared?

ORION's objective is to cut miles to justify more stops per car and cut routes.
As with all initiatives of this kind, UPS declares them a complete success from day one.
The only defense may be the new 9.5 language, if I could only get one of my 8 grievances dating back to May to the panel?

PT Car Washer

They aren't allowed to bump back in the sorts in my local since we have a local seniority practice in our local rider.
While the issue is silent in our rider, the company takes the position that Art 3 of Central Region Supplement doesn't apply.
Somehow though, the company still feels they have a right to use single day vacation driver, which is only provided for in...you guessed...Art 3 of the Central Region Supplement.
The local seems to be waiting for the company to change their mind out of the goodness of their heart.
Wow. That is really playing hardball. My building is working everyone as much as they can even if it is just the minimum. I gave up running air in the AM to give laid off drivers some more work. Plus it has been a really tough winter also.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mug, we fight for the part timers but somehow, someway, we've got to get them to fight for themselves (not including Local 89) and give up the "we're going to get screwed anyway" syndrome.
I agree. The part timers outnumber us. If they voted, we could be the ones getting screwed.

5habits100

About 8-12 of those "needed" people are now laid off in my building these days.
After waiting as much as 11 years, these "people" now have no income or insurance some weeks.
Welcome to Teamcare.
We gave up the right to bump into the hub when we got city wide seniority. Could have fixed that with a proposal.

5habits100

Why wasn't the Local Rider opened up??

5habits100

Properly prepared, or over prepared?

ORION's objective is to cut miles to justify more stops per car and cut routes.
As with all initiatives of this kind, UPS declares them a complete success from day one.
The only defense may be the new 9.5 language, if I could only get one of my 8 grievances dating back to May to the panel?
There are avenues to fix that use them.

We all knew they needed more employees before. It just got really "public" this time.
Let's see....lose major shippers (who got egg on their faces at 2013 peak too) or hire some drivers to appease the folks that pay our bills? Hmmm....

Maybe Amazon should negotiate our next CBA for us.
If amazon had the chance they would cut our throats. Don't ever forget this. It just might come into play somewhere down the line.

About 8-12 of those "needed" people are now laid off in my building these days.
After waiting as much as 11 years, these "people" now have no income or insurance some weeks.
Welcome to Teamcare.
I was shaking hands with some of these guys and girls tonight. It suck but they are working just like I did at the beginning of my career. I had to bump and at the time it did suck but in hindsight it was a really good deal.

Where the hell do you deliver? Iraq? It sounds like a third world country. It sounds like it sucks.

10 point

If amazon had the chance they would cut our throats. Don't ever forget this. It just might come into play somewhere down the line.
It was a joke.

$ and public opinion issues (protecting the "Brand") get a more expedient and effective response at times.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think that it is admirable that women can do pkg car work. Although, my experience is that only about half of them can actually do the work of a man. In my building most of the women are guaranteed power steering vehicles and very few of them can lift a 70lb. package with ease. I do not advocate that they be paid less but I do wonder what UPS would do with a man that couldn't lift a 70lb. Pkg and couldn't drive a non power steering vehicle? Again, I am not being chauvinist but it should be fair across the board, don't you think?
Yes It needs to be the same for both. I drove the old 800's and 500s that had wooden shelves, doors, and no power anything and the high step. But that is all any of us had. I have not seen the special treatment you have. Thats in another thread.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We gave up the right to bump into the hub when we got city wide seniority. Could have fixed that with a proposal.
Nowhere in the local seniority practice does it acknowledge this issue, one way or the other.
The issue is silent and should revert back to Art 3 of the Central Region Supplement.
This is a position the company refuses to ackowledge, that goes unapposed by the "go along to get along local administration".
As I already stated and you chose to ignore, there are things like single day vacation drivers that are provided for in Article 3 that the company embraces, but declares the article out of play when convienient or cost cutting for them.
The local has chosen to believe that the labor manager is going to convince his superiors to reconsider and allow these laid off 10+ year employees to bump back into the sorts at some point, rather than fight it with the available leverage we have with the existing language.
Meanwhile, these brothers and sisters are on the outside looking in, hoping to be called in at least once a week.
A miserable existence and a disgraceful outcome.
Shame on you Local 100.

Last edited:
Yes It needs to be the same for both. I drove the old 800's and 500s that had wooden shelves, doors, and no power anything and the high step. But that is all any of us had. I have not seen the special treatment you have. Thats in another thread.
Women have babies. That's pretty hard labor. Package car driving is also hard but the two aren't comparable. Gues what only women can do the one and the ones I work with or have worked with over the years were very tough workers. I have another one in my center who is 63 and she is bad ass. She don't take no crap and works still. Whenever she comes to me with questions or issues I tell her just how tough I think she is. I'll miss her when she goes this year.