ORION

porkwagon

My first two stops in ORION (businesses) are always out of order, so first-stop compliance is out the window. It wants me to make TWO left turns onto busy streets, near a major dangerous intersection, instead of just one and a turn-around in a parking lot. First-stop compliance will have to take a backseat to safety and common sense. The sad part is, there is apparently no way local mgmt can fix this error. Silly!
Yes they can fix that. I had that same exact scenario that you just described just last week. My DM happened to be right there when I was looking at the screen. I asked him to have a look. I explained why the first stop was awkward and showed him the correct way. He agreed and explained that they can and will fix it so ORION will not have me going there first again.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes they can fix that. I had that same exact scenario that you just described just last week. My DM happened to be right there when I was looking at the screen. I asked him to have a look. I explained why the first stop was awkward and showed him the correct way. He agreed and explained that they can and will fix it so ORION will not have me going there first again.
So I need to talk to the DM about this? Seems ridiculous, but I'll mention it next time it happens.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please update us on Monday.

porkwagon

So I need to talk to the DM about this? Seems ridiculous, but I'll mention it next time it happens.
I don't know about that, my DM just happened to be nearby so I showed him what was clearly inefficient, awkward,and unsafe. There should be someone in your center's management team who knows how to work the mojo and fix the problem.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I don't know about that, my DM just happened to be nearby so I showed him what was clearly inefficient, awkward,and unsafe. There should be someone in your center's management team who knows how to work the mojo and fix the problem.

Your PDS can alter your solution but, there's no altering only part of it. Changing the first part of your day can make a drastic impact on the rest of it.

So, I would tell them what you want changed and then see how it affects your overall solution. Then you can decide whether the change is worth it.

I would however, only do it while I'm on the clock. Ain't that right, BytheBook?

porkwagon

Your PDS can alter your solution but, there's no altering only part of it. Changing the first part of your day can make a drastic impact on the rest of it.

So, I would tell them what you want changed and then see how it affects your overall solution. Then you can decide whether the change is worth it.

I would however, only do it while I'm on the clock. Ain't that right, BytheBook?
Obviously everything work related should be done on the clock. About altering only part of the solution, I think they can by what my DM was showing me on the screen. I don't really care though. I just go to the first stop it says, unless it's too difficult to get to or unsafe. Then I switch back and forth odo/rdo. My trip averages 200 stops, so if trace is broken 30 times it's still 85% which I hit almost always just using the porkwagon solution. My miles don't raise any flags either.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Sounds like a lot of work and hassle on my part to "fix" something that I have no intention of using anyway. Its much simpler to just turn ORION off and run my route according to common sense. If they don't like the resulting metric, they are free to "fix" it themselves. Or not. Their plan, their problem.

Overpaid Union Thug

I refuse to waste any more time or oxygen trying to get anyone to fix anything pertaining to our routes. It's a futile attempt and isn't worth the effort. At best something gets fixed temporarily but eventually ends up back the way it was before and/or something else is screwed up in the process. Then factor in the drivers that are self appointed dispatchers coming in and somehow convincing the PDS to move things around or to set up ORION so that it's done their way instead of the logical and safe way and you have a recipe for disaster.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like a lot of work and hassle on my part to "fix" something that I have no intention of using anyway. Its much simpler to just turn ORION off and run my route according to common sense. If they don't like the resulting metric, they are free to "fix" it themselves. Or not. Their plan, their problem.

Do your cover drivers use RDO or ODO?

soberups

Do your cover drivers use RDO or ODO?
It depends on how much overtime they want. RDO works reasonably well, and has the pickups being done in the afternoon instead of the morning. ODO turns a 10 hour day into a 13 hour day and depending upon the dispatch will also put the driver at risk of running out of fuel.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It depends on how much overtime they want. RDO works reasonably well, and has the pickups being done in the afternoon instead of the morning. ODO turns a 10 hour day into a 13 hour day and depending upon the dispatch will also put the driver at risk of running out of fuel.

Would they benefit from Orion changes made to your area?

soberups

Would they benefit from Orion changes made to your area?
RDO works just fine.

To make ORION work, a number of things would have to happen. It would have to factor in the correct time window for my scheduled pickups, as well as a realistic allowance for how long it actually takes to load 2 full pallets of 40-pound cases of wine into a package car. Major corrections would also have to be made to the flawed map that it was originally based on, which has me using "roads" that show up on Google Earth but that are actually private tractor paths through vineyards or that are otherwise impassable. Depending on how many routes in my loop get dispatched, it can also have me delivering to several schools during or immediately after dismissal time. And these are only the problems that I am aware of, I'm sure there are others.

The bottom line is that I don't need ORION and since my route is desirable enough that my relief drivers exercise their seniority in order to bump junior drivers off of it, they don't need it either. And the point is moot anyway, since the type of fundamental changes that would need to be made to my ORION solution in order to make it work will never happen.

By The Book

After carefully reading your post I have a question. What does PDS stand for? Yes, you can alter only parts of the solution and it will impact the rest of it, sometimes drastically. Your second statement is dead on. Change a few time elements in it and it now creates a listing that can have you scratching your head. Somehow after a few changes I've asked for have made the solution separate my commercial savers to be sprinkled in Orion by time, not with the the same address for ground. Absolutely have these changes made on the clock.,and if you want to make a lot of cash go ahead and fix your Orion solution.

Bottom rung

RDO works just fine.

To make ORION work, a number of things would have to happen. It would have to factor in the correct time window for my scheduled pickups, as well as a realistic allowance for how long it actually takes to load 2 full pallets of 40-pound cases of wine into a package car. Major corrections would also have to be made to the flawed map that it was originally based on, which has me using "roads" that show up on Google Earth but that are actually private tractor paths through vineyards or that are otherwise impassable. Depending on how many routes in my loop get dispatched, it can also have me delivering to several schools during or immediately after dismissal time. And these are only the problems that I am aware of, I'm sure there are others.

The bottom line is that I don't need ORION and since my route is desirable enough that my relief drivers exercise their seniority in order to bump junior drivers off of it, they don't need it either. And the point is moot anyway, since the type of fundamental changes that would need to be made to my ORION solution in order to make it work will never happen.
Algorithms vs. Variables. Whomever can work out and around the variables will always win. Time,miles. It just blows my mind that some people in the ivory towers think this things a good idea.