ORION

tourists24

Boss, "Have you looked at the computer for your ODO??"

If Orion was that good, we would not have so many drivers beating it every single day.
And I still don't understand how its possible for drivers to beat an ORION system that is specifically designed to find the shortest way to run a route. The system itself is supposed to go through multiple combinations much faster than a human brain can comprehend, thus finding the shortest way

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Orion 2.0 will update throughout the day.

So what? Will it be better? Probably not.

The ORION solution you download is not done until every incoming package is SPA'd and PAL'd. Your somewhat mythical ORION 2.0 will not magically move the parcels around in the back of your package car. Instead of your next stop being located at 6980, it may be located at 7140.

You have much to learn, Dave. Just wait until you get to experience ORION before you post any more pearls of knowledge about it.

By The Book

And I still don't understand how its possible for drivers to beat an ORION system that is specifically designed to find the shortest way to run a route. The system itself is supposed to go through multiple combinations much faster than a human brain can comprehend, thus finding the shortest way
It only maps a shortest route for those stops in your truck. If you travel to the end of your route and then travel thru your route to come back to the building, there are chances to save miles. Then if you drop shaggers at places where people work in town, see where this is going?

JL 0513

Like any program, the person executing it needs to work with it. When you play a race car video game it is your responsibility to keep pace with the computer's cars if you want a chance to win. You fall behind, you lose. The system doesn't get it done by itself.

Orion isn't just about following the EDD order and expecting it to work without driver planning. Truth is, running Orion takes more driver brain power than RDO. Even though some saw this as making the job easier because they figured you just had to run it stop for stop. In many cases you even need to have better area knowledge with ODO, especially when it comes to knowing at which point you need to change directions which is now very often.

BostonBo

I think Orion would work better if they let the drivers enter in window delivery times for each individual address, but my guy stopped after 30 stops. He didn't care that the gas station got their lottery tickets at 7 PM, or he had me delivering on busy narrow main roads during rush hour.

JL 0513

so I'm a relatively new driver. how do you see Edd compared to Orion?

Screen looks exactly the same except that the scheduled p/s' s soft key at the bottom right is no a toggle button to go from Orion to regular EDD (ODO/RDO).

EDD was implemented without any thought. Only routes where the driver took the time to fix that mess are OK now. Now we pile this on top of it? Can't wait.

Orion actually fixes some of the glaring mistakes in EDD that exists in most routes. Regular bid drivers know of these mistakes and just anticipate those particular stops that are placed out of order. Problem is when cover drivers like me come on and end up doing stupid things following EDD.

What's good about Orion is that each day is customized. Old EDD order uses the same order everyday regardless of stops which ends up making you cover certain stretches of road that is unnecessary.

Overpaid Union Thug

ORION is so jacked up that long time customers in my area have either tried (reluctantly) switching to FedEx Ground or have placed their shipments on hold permanently at the center. They've relied on us to get their packages to them early for years (some decades) and now they are lucky to recieve them before 2pm. They shouldn't have to come pick them up at the center or switch to the Kmart version of package delivery to get the service we should still be providing. They have lost their minds in Atlanta.

S

selfcancelsignal

ORION is so jacked up that long time customers in my area have either tried (reluctantly) switching to FedEx Ground or have placed their shipments on hold permanently at the center. They've relied on us to get their packages to them early for years (some decades) and now they are lucky to recieve them before 2pm. They shouldn't have to come pick them up at the center or switch to the Kmart version of package delivery to get the service we should still be providing. They have lost their minds in Atlanta.
It certainly seems like Orion will make it a competition between us & Fred Ground on who will get businesses their stuff the latest.

tracker2762

from JL 0513 Orion actually fixes some of the glaring mistakes in EDD that exists in most routes. Regular bid drivers know of these mistakes and just anticipate those particular stops that are placed out of order. Problem is when cover drivers like me come on and end up doing stupid things following EDD.

What's good about Orion is that each day is customized. Old EDD order uses the same order everyday regardless of stops which ends up making you cover certain stretches of road that is unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

I must have a different Orion because mine does not fix the glaring mistakes of RDO. In fact it adds a few of it's own that I now have to anticipate through out the day.

Overpaid Union Thug

from JL 0513 Orion actually fixes some of the glaring mistakes in EDD that exists in most routes. Regular bid drivers know of these mistakes and just anticipate those particular stops that are placed out of order. Problem is when cover drivers like me come on and end up doing stupid things following EDD.

What's good about Orion is that each day is customized. Old EDD order uses the same order everyday regardless of stops which ends up making you cover certain stretches of road that is unnecessary.

I must have a different Orion because mine does not fix the glaring mistakes of RDO. In fact it adds a few of it's own that I now have to anticipate through out the day.

One of the many reasons why I rarely use ODO is because if you start to trust it you'll get burned. I got tired of having to backtrack to stops that ODO had me pass. I would have missed a commercial stop Friday had I not ignored ODO.

livin the dream

we've had since I started driving. to be fair, management has never really told me personally to run Orion. I usually see if it makes sense after my air and if not I turn it off.

By The Book

we've had since I started driving. to be fair, management has never really told me personally to run Orion. I usually see if it makes sense after my air and if not I turn it off.
It is the easiest to use in larger residential sections where you can turn the brain off, and bring your trace percentage up.

JL 0513

That has not been my experience at all.

The residential delivery order won't make sense unless you pull a lot of 180's. You will know this when the shortest distance to the next listed stop is to reverse directions rather than proceeding forward. To the aggravation of many, that is what it is designed to do.

Back up often!

tracker2762

The residential delivery order won't make sense unless you pull a lot of 180's. You will know this when the shortest distance to the next listed stop is to reverse directions rather than proceeding forward. To the aggravation of many, that is what it is designed to do.

Back up often!

So Orion wants you to do a lot of 180's and center manager doesn't want you backing. Seems to be be bit of a dilemma. Can't have it both ways.