President Obama!

Ramsey gives pretty good advice. One of the first things he says to do when in deep debt is to stop spending. Then pay off the debt as fast as possible.

I think the snooze button has been pushed numerous times already.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Obamanomics

How can the US make an over payment to the UN, if they are the largest debtor to them ?

U.S. Debt to the United Nations
United States debt to the United Nations, in both the regular and peacekeeping budgets, exceeded
$1.5 billion at the start of 2009. After passage of the 2009 appropriations bills, U.S. debt for

the top contributor to the U.N., overpaid its share of the U.N. peacekeeping budget for 2010-2011. The peacekeeping savings, including the overpayments, amount to $286.7 million -- more than three-quarters of the $377 million in U.N. cuts.
peacekeeping alone was over $1.3 billion. These arrears make the United States the largest debtor to
the United Nations and threaten its ability to leverage the international community toward achieving
key U.S. national security priorities.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...6QLq_ZwPjV4Oks9kg&sig2=KJjelhLobmcpgePI3TgXCw

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Obamanomics

yeah, I lied, the US didn't overpay......I don't lie !!

U.S.,the top contributor to the U.N., overpaid its share of the U.N. peacekeeping budget for 2010-2011. The peacekeeping savings, including the overpayments, amount to $286.7 million -- more than three-quarters of the $377 million in U.N. cuts.​

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
How about if we agree to go with David Stockman's advice? Or is he too "left" and "liberal" for the republicans?

David Stockman? Yes, that is a name you should know. Ronald Reagan's budget director.

As well as an author trying to sell books. As far as I am concerned all these people coming out of the wood works with, "tell all" books are to be looked at with critical eyes. Not just the ones creeping out of the GOP but the ones from the left as well, Dick Morrison comes to mind. Any of them should be viewed as lacking in full credibility, either they was disingenuous when they were active or they are now.
Not saying he (Stockman) is incorrect or correct, but his present stance gives him favor within a certain group of people that want to hear/read more of what he is saying.

As far as raising taxes goes, I wouldn't complain a lot IF, before doing that some very serious reduction in spending takes place. There are many areas withing the US budget that can be trimmed, There is waste, fraud and abuse of systems where money can be saved. There are programs and funding that can be stopped and not kill anyone or force people to eat dog food. Once the lawmakers and the president make serious attempts at plugging the leaks, then we can take an honest look at just how much the government needs to sustain. Neither side has shown a true effort at fixing the mess we are in now. If an organization can't exist without government funding, maybe it doesn't need to exist.

So far I haven't seen any honest attempt to repair the damage done by both liberals and conservatives.

curiousbrain

As well as an author trying to sell books. As far as I am concerned all these people coming out of the wood works with, "tell all" books are to be looked at with critical eyes. Not just the ones creeping out of the GOP but the ones from the left as well, Dick Morrison comes to mind. Any of them should be viewed as lacking in full credibility, either they was disingenuous when they were active or they are now.
Not saying he (Stockman) is incorrect or correct, but his present stance gives him favor within a certain group of people that want to hear/read more of what he is saying.

As far as raising taxes goes, I wouldn't complain a lot IF, before doing that some very serious reduction in spending takes place. There are many areas withing the US budget that can be trimmed, There is waste, fraud and abuse of systems where money can be saved. There are programs and funding that can be stopped and not kill anyone or force people to eat dog food. Once the lawmakers and the president make serious attempts at plugging the leaks, then we can take an honest look at just how much the government needs to sustain. Neither side has shown a true effort at fixing the mess we are in now. If an organization can't exist without government funding, maybe it doesn't need to exist.

So far I haven't seen any honest attempt to repair the damage done by both liberals and conservatives.

In terms of pure spending, I had an idea the other day.

Let's say that both sides agree spending has to be lowered and the debt has to be paid down.

To that end, get both sides to agree on some arbitrary number - for arguments sake, let's say 100 billion dollars in an annual budget.

Cut that number in half, and have both sides go to their respective corners and cut that amount from their "sacred cow" issues.

For example, the Democrats do not cut defense or raise/lower taxes; instead, it is up to the Republicans to raise/lower taxes and cut defense (or whatever) in order to shave 50 billion. Meanwhile, the Democrats have to shave 50 billion from Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid, whatever. Point being, no one is dictating to either side how the cuts have to be made.

Not saying that would work, but in an ideal world, that seems pretty clear cut and fair.

moreluck

golden ticket member
But they are still in the same "sandbox" and throwing sand ! You're idea is great if we were dealing with normal people....politicians are mostly narcissists and do not play well with others. (IMO)

Last edited:
In terms of pure spending, I had an idea the other day.

Let's say that both sides agree spending has to be lowered and the debt has to be paid down.

To that end, get both sides to agree on some arbitrary number - for arguments sake, let's say 100 billion dollars in an annual budget.

Cut that number in half, and have both sides go to their respective corners and cut that amount from their "sacred cow" issues.

For example, the Democrats do not cut defense or raise/lower taxes; instead, it is up to the Republicans to raise/lower taxes and cut defense (or whatever) in order to shave 50 billion. Meanwhile, the Democrats have to shave 50 billion from Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid, whatever. Point being, no one is dictating to either side how the cuts have to be made.

Not saying that would work, but in an ideal world, that seems pretty clear cut and fair.
For discretionary spending, that's an idea that might work.
Don't know if it would work out as intended, but would not be a bad place to start. SS/medicaid/care are systems that we pay taxes directly in to, systems that were supposed to be self sustaining for the most part. If we had been able to keep the politicians hands out of the till. the ss would not be in as big of a mess as it is currently. There are many other places where money is spent other than defense, SS/MC/MC etc. Do we really need to spend that much on studying the tree frogs mating habits? Do farmers that own/operate massive farm corporations really need the subsidies? How bout building bridges over small creeks that only fill with water once every ten years? So we really NEED a super speed railroad from point A to point B?

klein

Für Meno :)
$100 billion on a $15 Trillion debt is the equalient of paying off a $150 credit card by paying a dollar on it.
Will just pay the interest, if even that.
But, I guess it's a start, but will keep the debt still rising.

$100 billion on a $15 Trillion debt is the equalient of paying off a $150 credit card by paying a dollar on it.
Will just pay the interest, if even that.
But, I guess it's a start, but will keep the debt still rising.
Every journey starts with the first step and no expects to complete the journey in the first step. DUH.