President Obama!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Obamanomics

Where is it that I cheer for High gas prices ??

That would be stupid!

It's also stupid for the pres. to do nothing. I'm sure he's thinking about a Greek bailout though.

Below is what my daughter is paying in Hawaii for gas.....and not in the touristy section, but in the normal people's section......

Waianae Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Waianae, Hawaii and Honolulu County to Save Money on Fuel - Motor Trend Magazine

Here's some Mission Viejo prices.....not touristy.....it's just plain HIGH !!

Mission Viejo Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Mission Viejo, California

moreluck

golden ticket member

If a report says the oil company had an increase of 69% in profits, that does not mean that their profit was 69%. People go crazy nuts, but if Apple reports a 95% increase in net profits , it's all good.

The oil companies earn around 8.3 cents on every dollar invested (about)
Pharms. earn 18.4 cents
Beverage & Tobacco earn 19.1 cents

Why do people not want a certain industry to earn a 9% profit? If there are subsidies, stop the subsidies then. Planned Parenthood makes plenty also, so stop gov't funding to them too.

"But if you take a closer look at each dollar invested and how much is earned, Dougher said the oil industry earns a lot less than some other major industries. API says its members earn about 8.3 cents per dollar invested, compared to 18.4 cents for pharmaceutical manufacturers and 19.1 cents for beverage and tobacco producers."

Should the Oil Industry Make a Profit? - ABC News

curiousbrain

If a report says the oil company had an increase of 69% in profits, that does not mean that their profit was 69%. People go crazy nuts, but if Apple reports a 95% increase in net profits , it's all good.

The oil companies earn around 8.3 cents on every dollar invested (about)
Pharms. earn 18.4 cents
Beverage & Tobacco earn 19.1 cents

Why do people not want a certain industry to earn a 9% profit? If there are subsidies, stop the subsidies then. Planned Parenthood makes plenty also, so stop gov't funding to them too.

"But if you take a closer look at each dollar invested and how much is earned, Dougher said the oil industry earns a lot less than some other major industries. API says its members earn about 8.3 cents per dollar invested, compared to 18.4 cents for pharmaceutical manufacturers and 19.1 cents for beverage and tobacco producers."

Should the Oil Industry Make a Profit? - ABC News

List of largest corporate profits and losses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Give me a break.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Someone can earn a bazillion dollars, but if it's only like a 9% profit, that's acceptable in my mind.

If I have a lemonade stand and each glass of drink costs me 35 cents to make, I want 50 cents as my price. Do you realize that's about a 40% profit?

If I want to make a 9% profit like the oil companies make then I should sell a glass for about 38 cents.

You can't just point out that a certain sector or business makes bazillions of dollars.......what percent is their profit???

moreluck

golden ticket member

"Whatever you do, do not blame Big Oil for the price at the pump, as Bill O'Reilly mistakenly does. The oil companies have nothing to do with setting the price of gas. Gas prices are set by oil price futures, which are the prices fuel investors think oil will cost in the future."

NUGENT: Burning cash with gas - Washington Times

curiousbrain

Real Earnings the Wall Street Way......

EBITDA)
Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) is a non-GAAP metric that can be used to evaluate a company's profitability.

Let's hypothesize for a moment - if there was a video of every major conservative Republican leader saying that oil/gas companies made huge profits, and that they were among the most profitable companies in the world, would you believe it/them?

moreluck

golden ticket member

Let's hypothesize for a moment - if there was a video of every major conservative Republican leader saying that oil/gas companies made huge profits, and that they were among the most profitable companies in the world, would you believe it/them?
I still would use common sense and figure every corp. with percentages. What percent of their earnings is profit? It's the way business is done. It's oranges to oranges.

If anyone makes a claim of huge profits.........you can high five them or knock some sense into 'em by just figuring the numbers. It doesn't matter who is saying it or what is being said, honest numbers will make an even playing field.

curiousbrain

I still would use common sense and figure every corp. with percentages. What percent of their earnings is profit? It's the way business is done. It's oranges to oranges.

If anyone makes a claim of huge profits.........you can high five them or knock some sense into 'em by just figuring the numbers. It doesn't matter who is saying it or what is being said, honest numbers will make an even playing field.

I remember now why I try to stay out of this forum.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think his flustering has to do with any stock choices!

I share his flustering and have been seriously thinking about spending my time elsewhere. I used to enjoy coming here but the way that a particular member has come to dominate the discussion across a majority of the forums has made it far less enjoyable. I have also noticed that a few of the regulars tend to spend less time here, if they participate at all. I am also discouraged by the way that new threads tend to denegrate toward sexual innuendo, mindless banter or "my country is better than your country".

I guess you know it may be time to mooove on when some of the more meaningful discussion comes from a cow.

wkmac

I share his flustering and have been seriously thinking about spending my time elsewhere. I used to enjoy coming here but the way that a particular member has come to dominate the discussion across a majority of the forums has made it far less enjoyable. I have also noticed that a few of the regulars tend to spend less time here, if they participate at all. I am also discouraged by the way that new threads tend to denegrate toward sexual innuendo, mindless banter or "my country is better than your country".

I guess you know it may be time to mooove on when some of the more meaningful discussion comes from a cow.

I understand the frustration but there are still opportunities to have meaningful discussions regardless who enters a thread. Just ignore it and appreciate those who offer ideas and opinions you find worthwhile and go from there. Besides, when some people post here, you can't help but feeling of yourself as being more intelligent so from a self improvement POV..........

:laughing:

bbsam

Staff member

I agree. Except for the bit about sexual inuendo. That I just find fun in a Monty Python naughty bits kinda way.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Even you mentioned about retiring and playing the stock market a bit....do it without EPS or EBITDA......don't do your due diligence and watch what happens to your $$$.

moreluck

golden ticket member

This is true but has nothing to do with what I posted.
Well, apparently I flustered BrowbB by trying to make profits a % thing.........and you said you experienced the flustering too, so I assume you were talking about me....along with being a "dominant' poster (been here the longest along with Tieguy).
So, if you weren't talking about me, then nevermind.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, apparently I flustered BrowbB by trying to make profits a % thing.........and you said you experienced the flustering too, so I assume you were talking about me....along with being a "dominant' poster (been here the longest along with Tieguy).
So, if you weren't talking about me, then nevermind.

Oh, I was talking about you, but not in relation to stocks.