President Obama!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Obamanation here today

I feel just as comfortable with my analysis that a certain wing of the republican party would refuse to let this president lead them to a balanced budget amendment that had riders eliminating abortion, allowing prayer in school, and privatizing social security.
Budget? Gee, I didn't know Reid was a Republican!

UPS Lifer

And you wonder why China keeps it's money tied to the value of the dollar....

That's why America is not Europe. We have the Federal Reserve. We have the ability to control inflation should we need to. We are in full go mode right now and sputtering along. Should a wildfire economy break out, begin raising interest rates. This is what Europe cannot do with their patchwork economies.

You did not factor in inflation and that will be HUGE going forward. Especially with another round of credit downgrades...
Look - I am not trying to be a smart ass here. What you say is true BUT - You need to take into account not being able to pay our debt. We have no choice but to print more money to pay it.

Here is an EXTREME example to make my point. We print enough money to devalue the $ by 50%. Let's just say that the price of oil is $100 a barrel. To recoup the loss of the devalued $, oil goes up to $200 a barrel just to keep the same profit levels. So the domino effect sets in. All goods and services have to go up to pay for higher fuel costs spread across the spectrum.

Inflation will kill us retired folks on a fixed income. etc etc.

bbsam

Staff member
Inflation will not be huge because the Federal Reserve can begin to take money out of circulation by raising interest rates. It is the antithesis of a free market economy that we live in.

bbsam

Staff member
It has become a red herring of sorts for the right wing to point to Europe. America is not Europe and financially the only thing standing in the way of economic sanity is politicaly crazies.

UPS Lifer

I feel just as comfortable with my analysis that a certain wing of the republican party would refuse to let this president lead them to a balanced budget amendment that had riders eliminating abortion, allowing prayer in school, and privatizing social security.

I know one STRONG Tea Party person (a friend) out of Hawaii and he is religious but his major concern is with the economy - budget - taxes and jobs. You are talking FRINGE Republicans not the mainstream or the more conservative Tea Party group. Evangelicals are not a big % of our government at all. They will never command enough support to over throw social issues. It just won't happen!

UPS Lifer

This is where we have to agree to disagree. I do appreciate a respectful dialog though! Thank You!

My feeling is you can't reign in the controls for inflation until there is a surplus of money and a strong vibrant economy. Printing of money won't stop if we can't control spending. You have to pay for the debt somehow!

Anyway good discussion!!

bbsam

Staff member
I enjoyed it as well. Thankyou.

Again I think the only think standing in the way of that vibrant economy is dysfunctional politics.

wkmac

It takes a leader to stop this. Clinton worked well with Republicans in his second term. He was a leader. It is much easier to look back and define a Presidency through the clarity of historical analysis than it is to see it during the fog of today.

However, with BO I feel pretty comfortable with my analysis on his lack of leadership skill.

Seems under Obama's leadership that certain Corp. interests have done very well so they may not share your view of his skills. And is it his skills you don't like or the outcomes of his policy decisions?

Just because you don't think you benefit doesn't mean a segment of the economic class above both you and I don't enjoy great benefits. But like B.friend. Skinner's Operant Conditioning, Skinner's box has conditioned us to only look down and never look up where the real thievery takes place.

bbsam

Staff member

I know one STRONG Tea Party person (a friend) out of Hawaii and he is religious but his major concern is with the economy - budget - taxes and jobs. You are talking FRINGE Republicans not the mainstream or the more conservative Tea Party group. Evangelicals are not a big % of our government at all. They will never command enough support to over throw social issues. It just won't happen!
I am indeed talking fringe republicans. The ones who refuse any compromise at all. The ones Eric Cantor rallies to terrify any moderate republican into doing his bidding, the ones who Boehner can't lead to any sane common ground with democrats. The ones who can't name ten democrats who have been good for the country in the past 50 years.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Obama Says He Can’t Believe It When Successful People Think They Became Rich Because They “Worked Hard” Or Are “Smart”…

Clueless doesn’t even begin to describe this guy.
Official White House transcript:
“There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You

You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.

Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

Just_another_day_at_work

Inflation will not be huge because the Federal Reserve can begin to take money out of circulation by raising interest rates. It is the antithesis of a free market economy that we live in.
I disagree, IMO helicopter Ben can't raise interest rate it will never go up. The US debt is too high, and the money supply(M1,M2,M3) has to grow to keep the ponzi scheme going(fractional banking), any contraction(deflation) cause another 08 crash and worse. In the 80s the interest rate went up to 20% to fight inflation because it got out of control and the economy wasn't this fragile(fake) like now.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Obamanomics

Pres. Obama says to CBS “Sunday Morning” that if he were in Romney’s shoes he would make the same argument on the poor economy (July 15, 2012).