President Obama!

Nimnim

The Nim
Re: Obamanation here today

Why do people keep calling them tax cuts? They've been in place for at least 10 years. They're our tax rates, if they drop more then they're cuts, if they raise they're hikes. If they stay the same, well they're our tax rates for more than 1/8th of the average persons life.

bbsam

Staff member

Why do people keep calling them tax cuts? They've been in place for at least 10 years. They're our tax rates, if they drop more then they're cuts, if they raise they're hikes. If they stay the same, well they're our tax rates for more than 1/8th of the average persons life.
Oh no you don't. When they were enacted, it was on a temporary basis and they've already been extended once. Making them permanant has been a republican pipe dream since before they were agreed upon.

Nimnim

The Nim

They've been the rate for 2 different presidents, and for possibly my entire working career. Intended to be temporary or not, does not change the fact that over this amount of time they are our tax rates.

bbsam

Staff member

They've been the rate for 2 different presidents, and for possibly my entire working career. Intended to be temporary or not, does not change the fact that over this amount of time they are our tax rates.
That sounds awfully self serving. I know people who have been on welfare for 10 years, but I don't see that as their job.

Nimnim

The Nim

That sounds awfully self serving. I know people who have been on welfare for 10 years, but I don't see that as their job.

I'm not saying I should or should not pay more in taxes. I'm saying the rates have been the same for such a time they are no longer "cuts" but our rates. Reducing them further would be cuts, and raising them would be hikes.

bbsam

Staff member

I'm not saying I should or should not pay more in taxes. I'm saying the rates have been the same for such a time they are no longer "cuts" but our rates. Reducing them further would be cuts, and raising them would be hikes.

I understand, but it simply isn't how it is. We have a 15 year mortgage and at the end of it I'll be damned if I'm going to keep sending the check every month just because I have been doing it so long Now after time has expired and our spending has exceeded our revenue republicans want to reneg on the deal. Using your wording though makes it look like Obama came into his second term and just gave a tax hike. That's hardly fair. History counts and the history in the tax code says that these cuts are due to expire.

moreluck

golden ticket member

I understand, but it simply isn't how it is. We have a 15 year mortgage and at the end of it I'll be damned if I'm going to keep sending the check every month just because I have been doing it so long Now after time has expired and our spending has exceeded our revenue republicans want to reneg on the deal. Using your wording though makes it look like Obama came into his second term and just gave a tax hike. That's hardly fair. History counts and the history in the tax code says that these cuts are due to expire.

Take away a cut and you pay more taxes......it is what it is!!!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anyway.....I would personally have no problem with the 2% payroll tax cut expiring and those earning $250K or more being taxed at a higher rate. The other austerity measures may be too much for our fragile economy to handle at this time, although they are needed.

UPS Lifer

This reminds me of a state sales tax we implemented to help out our schools and other areas a couple of years ago. It was supposed to expire this year. Most of us voted for it. I was luke warm about "expiring". Well, this year an initiative was put on the ballot to keep the sales tax and make it permanent.

NO surprise! - Fortunately the electorate decided to vote that initiative down.

I don't believe that serious spending cuts will happen. Talk is cheap. There is 4 years of history that shows this won't happen.

Thank God we have a House of Reps who can keep BO from doing a ram rod on tax hikes and spending increases. If he is serious, he will actually have to negotiate with 48% of the people to do the will of the people.

He and the rest of the folks who voted for him cannot forget that about half the country wanted something different.

We shall see how he "leads" but my belief is he will continue to strong arm the other half of Congress. True compromise is how things need to get done.

bbsam

Staff member

Actually there have been spending cuts in the past four years. NASA for example. Alot of state and local jobs too that were funded through federal grants.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Actually there have been spending cuts in the past four years. NASA for example. Alot of state and local jobs too that were funded through federal grants.
You just gloss over the jobs lost by the NASA cuts...........jobs lost !!!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Actually NASA"s mission goal has been altered by bhos.
They are no longer a space agency , they are now a muslim outreach agency.

bbsam

Staff member

You guys amaze me. Obama had no intention of cutting NASA when he came to office. After the republicans came to office insisting on smaller government, Obama came to the middle and began making cuts including NASA. What did you think would happen when government started cutting costs? And now you want to blame Obama for being bipartisan?!