Presidential Candidates other than Obama

brett636

Yeah, I know how you are just dreaming and hoping for that moment to arrive, so you can finally shoot a fellow American.
Good for you !

If it happens to me, I'll simply get my belongings back thru home insurance.
But, yeah, the break ins in the States always include shootings and killings, so do what you need to do, living in your dangerous place of living.

No gun owner longs for the day that they have to use their weapons on another human being. Most, like me, have decided that its better to have it and not need it, rather than needing it and not having it. I've read more than my fair share of horror stories of home owners finding themselves in their homes with a burglar or home invader. These people's intentions cannot be logically deducted in the time of being discovered in someone else's home. In some cases the burglar simply runs away, in others they beat, maim, and or kill the residences of the homes they are invading. Its not my job to decide if they are just there to take my stuff or my life as well, all I know is someone is in my home with malicious intent and I can only assume they are there to take my life as well as my stuff because at the time I discover them I am now a witness to who they are and what they look like so they may decide its in their best interests to kill me. Its my duty to defend not my stuff, but my life and my family at that moment and simply running away is not a good option. The best option, although the toughest one, is to take their life before they get a chance to take yours and or the lives of those who you love. This is only one of many reasons why owning firearms is a right that our own constitution states "Shall NOT be infringed".

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
No gun owner longs for the day that they have to use their weapons on another human being. Most, like me, have decided that its better to have it and not need it, rather than needing it and not having it. I've read more than my fair share of horror stories of home owners finding themselves in their homes with a burglar or home invader. These people's intentions cannot be logically deducted in the time of being discovered in someone else's home. In some cases the burglar simply runs away, in others they beat, maim, and or kill the residences of the homes they are invading. Its not my job to decide if they are just there to take my stuff or my life as well, all I know is someone is in my home with malicious intent and I can only assume they are there to take my life as well as my stuff because at the time I discover them I am now a witness to who they are and what they look like so they may decide its in their best interests to kill me. Its my duty to defend not my stuff, but my life and my family at that moment and simply running away is not a good option. The best option, although the toughest one, is to take their life before they get a chance to take yours and or the lives of those who you love. This is only one of many reasons why owning firearms is a right that our own constitution states "Shall NOT be infringed".

Here we go again with misquotes from the second amendment and the intentions otherwise of the framers of the constitution.

I like when people who address the second amendment "extrapolate" 4 words out of a whole sentence and give it new meaning than the one originally intended.

We can argue this all day long, and I know the gun freaks will come out and defend guns and their rights to shoot their own family members or allow their kids to have direct access to the guns so they can go shoot up the local school, but thats not what I am addressing here.

What I would like to see from all GUN nuts is that you quote the second amendment. Not a portion of it, not a slice that makes your point sound legit, not a sliver that the NRA places on the back of their membership cards, BUT the entire sentence in the second amendment.

If you truly believe the second amendment supports your position on guns, then there should be ZERO reason to "extrapolate" 4 words out of it.

Here is what the second amendment says today. It has been modified many times since the constitution was written.

1)
As passed by the Congress:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2) As ratified by the States:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The argument over meanings will continue for decades. The placement of periods is key to definition and the use of the words keep and bear play the biggest parts.

Either way, If youre going to quote the 2nd amendment, do it the way its intended.

History of the second amendment.

Meaning of "well regulated militia"
The term "regulated" means "disciplined" or "trained".[104] In Heller, the U.S. Supreme Court stated that "[t]he adjective 'well-regulated' implies nothing more than the imposition of proper discipline and training."[105] Regarding a well regulated militia, Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist No. 29:
A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss.[46]
Regarding regulation and training of the militia, Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist No. 29:
"If a well regulated militia be the most natural defence of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security...confiding the regulation of the militia to the direction of the national authority...(and) reserving to the states...the authority of training the militia".[46]

Meaning of "the right of the People"The question is does a “right” attributed to “the people” in the 2nd Amendment differ from the “right” of “the people” peaceably to assemble in the First Amendment and the “right” of “the people” to be secure in the Fourth Amendment.
Justice Antonin Scalia in writing for the majority in District of Columbia v. Heller:
Nowhere else in the Constitution does a “right” attributed to “the people” refer to anything other than an individual right. What is more, in all six other provisions of the Constitution that mention “the people,” the term unambiguously refers to all members of the political community, not an unspecified subset. This contrasts markedly with the phrase “the militia” in the prefatory clause. As we will describe below, the “militia” in colonial America consisted of a subset of “the people”— those who were male, able bodied, and within a certain age range. Reading the Second Amendment as protecting only the right to “keep and bear Arms” in an organized militia therefore fits poorly with the operative clause’s description of the holder of that right as “the people[106]
Justice John Paul Stevens countered in the minority opinion:
When each word in the text is given full effect, the Amendment is most naturally read to secure to the people a right to use and possess arms in conjunction with service in a well-regulated militia. So far as appears, no more than that was contemplated. But the Court itself reads the Second Amendment to protect a “subset” significantly narrower than the class of persons protected by the First and Fourth Amendments; when it finally drills down on the substantive meaning of the Second Amendment, the Court limits the protected class to “law-abiding, responsible citizens”.[107]

Peace :peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
How about we don't quote any amendment and just protect our homes and our lives the way we see fit??
That way there won't be any misquoting of these words...."Stop or I'll shoot !"

over9five

Staff member
............ I know the gun freaks will come out and defend guns and their rights to shoot their own family members or allow their kids to have direct access to the guns so they can go shoot up the local school

What I would like to see from all GUN nuts...

Gee The Other Side, wonder how you always lose all your credibility on this site?

bbsam

Staff member
How about we don't quote any amendment and just protect our homes and our lives the way we see fit??
That way there won't be any misquoting of these words...."Stop or I'll shoot !"

Yeah, it's easy to ignore what the law says when it says what you don't want it to say, isn't it?!:happy-very:

bbsam

Staff member
By the way, I wanted to ask earlier: What's the deal with Jeb Bush? His name always gets mentioned and he never seems to even consider a run? Too many skeletons?

klein

Für Meno :)
The cost of living in a free country. You wouldn't understand.

Yeah, I suppose the USA is the only free country on the planet, even though gay marriages aren't allowed in every state, or smoking weed can land you in jail, or not being able to go to Cuba, or for that matter, can't leave the country without a passport, prostitution is illegal, 21 years drinking age. That and much more is the cost of freedom, too, eh ?

Buddybrown

Yeah, I suppose the USA is the only free country on the planet, even though gay marriages aren't allowed in every state, or smoking weed can land you in jail, or not being able to go to Cuba, or for that matter, can't leave the country without a passport, prostitution is illegal, 21 years drinking age. That and much more is the cost of freedom, too, eh ?

Any of our costs for freedom shouldn't concern you, and yes you can thank the USA that at least where you're living it is in a free world.

Why do you come here and vacation and support our way of life by giving us your tourist dollars? What a hypocrite.

Our freedom and way of life is much better than living in Canada and having to decide where to go to visit all the time because you're so unhappy.

Next time you come here just be aware that we're all carrying guns and bibles. LOL

klein

Für Meno :)
TODAY - May 25, 2011

canadasmile_metrolarge.jpg

The one country happier than Canada

From income to health, we're edged out by just one nation in overall satisfaction and progress: study. Not in Europe