Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldngray

nowhere special
Nope, just demonstrating that Holy Scripture can be abused to support both our opposing viewpoints.

And you are aware, aren’t you, that many scholars contend that not all of the Bible is Holy Scripture. Understanding The Difference Between Scripture and The Bible (Part 1)

Matthew 23, Jesus decries the legalistic burdens placed on the faithful, hindering their relationship with God.

Matt 11:28-30 doesn’t require a baptism of water, either. Baptism is an outward sign of repentance, and is valuable, but not intended as a barricade to heaven.

You are entitled to believe that God has placed obstacle after obstacle in your path to heaven, so you do you. As for my(baptized)self, I will continue to entrust Jesus with personally guiding my life and salvation.
Too many people try to get legalistic and complicate a very simple concept. If they are more comfortable feeling that way I say fine by me. It is only when they try to impose their legalism on others that I object.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Nope, just demonstrating that Holy Scripture can be abused to support both our opposing viewpoints.

And you are aware, aren’t you, that many scholars contend that not all of the Bible is Holy Scripture. Understanding The Difference Between Scripture and The Bible (Part 1)

Matthew 23, Jesus decries the legalistic burdens placed on the faithful, hindering their relationship with God.

Matt 11:28-30 doesn’t require a baptism of water, either. Baptism is an outward sign of repentance, and is valuable, but not intended as a barricade to heaven.

You are entitled to believe that God has placed obstacle after obstacle in your path to heaven, so you do you. As for my(baptized)self, I will continue to entrust Jesus with personally guiding my life and salvation.
I don't consider His Word an obstacle. It is the only way I can know how Jesus wants to personally guide my life.

Do you know of some other way? I remember you saying that God speaks to people in a small still voice. Can you tell me how that was done? Where is that in the Bible? I don't see anything in the New Testament where that happens to save a person.

BrownFlush

Too many people try to get legalistic and complicate a very simple concept. If they are more comfortable feeling that way I say fine by me. It is only when they try to impose their legalism on others that I object.
Not imposing.
Just trying to know what God actually has revealed in His Word. Eternity is a long time.
It" feels" like it to you because you can't answer what you believe from the scripture and instead of digging in, you "feel" threatened.
I believe what's written. When one is questioned about what they believe and find no scripture to back it up, the one asking suddenly is a legalist.
Choice. Have at it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I don't consider His Word an obstacle. It is the only way I can know how Jesus wants to personally guide my life.

Do you know of some other way? I remember you saying that God speaks to people in a small still voice. Can you tell me how that was done? Where is that in the Bible? I don't see anything in the New Testament where that happens to save a person.
1 Kgs 19:12

oldngray

nowhere special
Not imposing.
Just trying to know what God actually has revealed in His Word. Eternity is a long time.
It" feels" like it to you because you can't answer what you believe from the scripture and instead of digging in, you "feel" threatened.
I believe what's written. When one is questioned about what they believe and find no scripture to back it up, the one asking suddenly is a legalist.
Choice. Have at it.
Its not a question of how I "feel" but what the Bible says. If adding more to it makes you happy good for you.

Thebrownblob

My experience has been people who are legalistic cannot reach the unsaved. Kind of defeats the whole purpose.

BrownFlush

1 Kgs 19:12
I think you know better than this, but maybe not.
Do I need to point out this is OT?
Where in the pages of the NT, this side of the cross, Jew and Gentile, us, did God speak to a person in a small, still voice that saved him?
The word was heard and understood through and by preaching the gospel.

oldngray

nowhere special
What was preached by the apostles and early disciples of Christ would disagree with your statement.
Over 3000 was saved in one day alone.
I mostly agree with you but getting legalistic when preaching the Gospel can be a stumbling block and make it harder to reach people.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I think you know better than this, but maybe not.
Do I need to point out this is OT?
Where in the pages of the NT, this side of the cross, Jew and Gentile, us, did God speak to a person in a small, still voice that saved him?
The word was heard and understood through and by preaching the gospel.
Malachi 3:6

Or do you contend that the God of the Old Testament is not the God of the New Testament?

BrownFlush

I mostly agree with you but getting legalistic when preaching the Gospel can be a stumbling block and make it harder to reach people.
Especially another gospel. There is such a thing.
Paul warned those that do such will be accursed. Gal.1:6-9

BrownFlush

Malachi 3:6

Or do you contend that the God of the Old Testament is not the God of the New Testament?
Same God..I do contend what is written is that the law has changed according to scripture.
We are not under the Law of Moses and those "works" of that law. That law was given to Israel to bring them to Christ
We are under the Law of Christ. We have lived in the Gospel Dispensation since the death of Jesus. The law of Moses was nailed to the cross.( Col 2) The testament we live under is in effect because the testator died (Heb. 9)
The New Testament is clear about how God speaks to us.

The Lord doesn't change. But, His law did. Which was his plan before he made the world. (Eternal purpose )
"This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord- Eph 3:11

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

What was preached by the apostles and early disciples of Christ would disagree with your statement.
Over 3000 was saved in one day alone.
Sorry but the first thing Jesus Christ showed was compassion and love, not legalism that might’ve come after he compelled them. it’s his kindness that draws you.

BrownFlush

Sorry but the first thing Jesus Christ showed was compassion and love, not legalism that might’ve come after he compelled them.
Ok.
What are trying to say?
You define love when compelled or questioned by backing away and letting one believe whatever one wants? I can assure you, Jesus did not do this.
Love is not shown when compelled to speak the will of God? I think Jesus showed love and compassion. We can respond the same way ..
"If you love me, keep my commandments." John 14;15.. Or one can reject what he has commanded. Many have and many will.

When the Lord died on the cross, it was the ultimate definition of love. When one hears the gospel story, if one rejects that and doesn't respond by loving him enough to do what he says( obey his commandments ) there is no hope for him.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

I'm confused too. It seems to me that both of you are pretty much making the same argument.
We probably are in different ways. Jesus Christ did not hang out with tax collectors and prostitutes and tell them they had to change. He compelled them with a mix of love and correction. If you can’t first compel someone you cannot reach them. Following his Commandments are some or something we do because we want to not because we have to. He gives us free will because that’s the only way he can know for sure if we truly love him otherwise we will just be doing it only out of fear. Love comes first then correction. Because you’re open to it. I’ve seen many churches bash people with hell fire and brimstone only to turn them away because there was no love first. The book tells me all of us are sinners even people who go to church and have difficult knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.