Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
You as well.
Now I'm ready to hear your renunciation of election, only using the verses that speak to God's election . I've already heard & agree with the free will passages.
You’re not ready to hear the renunciation of the verses you claim puts you out of a lost condition and into a saved one?
I’ll discuss any verse in the Bible but you ignored 95% of my comment . You verified what my comment alluded to.
Let’s not talk about “those “ versus. I don’t like them.
List any verse, I’ll be glad to give them a shot.

FromOffTheStreets

You’re not ready to hear the renunciation of the verses you claim puts you out of a lost condition and into a saved one?
I’ll discuss any verse in the Bible but you ignored 95% of my comment . You verified what my comment alluded to.
Let’s not talk about “those “ versus. I don’t like them.
I'm just trying to pick the brain of a high level bible guy that has some differing opinions on some issues. I like to explore. Plus it gives me some thought provoking reading material when I get home & set down on the throne.

Just throw out a verse? & you'll exegete?

FromOffTheStreets

Revelation 13
15 And it was allowed to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast might even speak and might cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be slain. 16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, 17 so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. 18 This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

What is COC doctrine on this?

Revelation 13
15 And it was allowed to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast might even speak and might cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be slain. 16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, 17 so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. 18 This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

I can throw my hat in the ring on this one but I'll let the high level Bible guy go first

El Correcto

god is dead
Public policy based on thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bear false witness, etc would be excellent policy. And I really hope I'm not being a prick because then you'd be attracted to me. 😅
Oh so every civilization before the Jews copied Jesus? You people really are pathetic with these disingenuous arguments acting like human nature and society fell out of the Jew god’s ass.

vantexan

Oh so every civilization before the Jews copied Jesus? You people really are pathetic with these disingenuous arguments acting like human nature and society fell out of the Jew god’s ass.
Ever hear of Hammurabi? Who said no other civilization had laws before the Jews? But our country was established on Judeo-Christian principles.

El Correcto

god is dead
Ever hear of Hammurabi? Who said no other civilization had laws before the Jews? But our country was established on Judeo-Christian principles.
No it wasn’t. Deism isn’t judeo-Christian and those values are not specifically judeo-Christian ones with even yourself admitting as much. You’re a silly person.

BrownFlush

Revelation 13

The COC has no docrine like denominations. The appeal is to the doctrine of Christ or the NT. Each congregation is independent of each other. There is no headquarters or missionary society to answer to.
Congregations of Christ cooperate one with another in evangelist and benevolent ways, but are autonomous.
If one begins teaching something contrary to the NT , they no longer are “of Christ “

Before answering this, are you a premillennialist?

vantexan

No it wasn’t. Deism isn’t judeo-Christian and those values are not specifically judeo-Christian ones with even yourself admitting as much. You’re a silly person.
The founders had many personal writings expressing their belief in Christianity. As much as atheists want to say they were deists it just wasn't so. Christianity permeated every level of society back then from the coast to the frontier. The things that go on today they couldn't even fathom let alone tolerate. You're kidding yourself (yet again).

BrownFlush

I'm just trying to pick the brain of a high level bible guy that has some differing opinions on some issues. I like to explore. Plus it gives me some thought provoking reading material when I get home & set down on the throne.

Just throw out a verse? & you'll exegete?
Yeah.man,. I’m high level all right.
I do not understand why do not pursue verses pertaining to salvation.

vantexan

Revelation 13

Are you aware of apocalyptic literature? Very common back then for communications to be couched in symbolism lest it fall into the wrong hands. Letters by the way had numerical value. Add up the letters in N-E-R-O and what do you get? 666. Nero of course was the Roman emperor when Revelations was written who was persecuting the Church. But people today want to take all of that literally and believe we'll be running around with 666 on our foreheads or some such.

FromOffTheStreets

Are you aware of apocalyptic literature? Very common back then for communications to be couched in symbolism lest it fall into the wrong hands. Letters by the way had numerical value. Add up the letters in N-E-R-O and what do you get? 666. Nero of course was the Roman emperor when Revelations was written who was persecuting the Church. But people today want to take all of that literally and believe we'll be running around with 666 on our foreheads or some such.

When Was the Book of Revelation Written?​

Early Christian writers are almost in agreement that the book of Revelation was written during the reign of Domitian which ended in A.D. 96. This is seen in the following references:

Irenaeus, who claims to have had a personal connection with the apostle John through Polycarp, says of the book of Revelation, “For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, towards the end of Domitian’s reign” (op. cit. v. 30. 3; ANF, vol. 1, pp. 559, 560).

Victorinus (died c. A.D. 303) writes, “When John said these things he was in the island of Patmos, condemned to the labour of the mines by Caesar Domitian. There, therefore, he saw the Apocalypse” (Commentary on the Apocalypse, on ch. 10:11; ANF, vol. 7, p. 353; Revelation 1:9).

Eusebius (op. cit. iii. 20. 8, 9) records that John was sent to Patmos by Domitian, and that when those who had been unjustly banished by Domitian were released by his successor, Nerva (A.D. 96–98; see Vol. VI, p. 87), the apostle returned to Ephesus.

Thus, the early Christian testimony places the writing of the Revelation in the time of Domitian’s reign.

vantexan

When Was the Book of Revelation Written?​

Early Christian writers are almost in agreement that the book of Revelation was written during the reign of Domitian which ended in A.D. 96. This is seen in the following references:

Irenaeus, who claims to have had a personal connection with the apostle John through Polycarp, says of the book of Revelation, “For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, towards the end of Domitian’s reign” (op. cit. v. 30. 3; ANF, vol. 1, pp. 559, 560).

Victorinus (died c. A.D. 303) writes, “When John said these things he was in the island of Patmos, condemned to the labour of the mines by Caesar Domitian. There, therefore, he saw the Apocalypse” (Commentary on the Apocalypse, on ch. 10:11; ANF, vol. 7, p. 353; Revelation 1:9).

Eusebius (op. cit. iii. 20. 8, 9) records that John was sent to Patmos by Domitian, and that when those who had been unjustly banished by Domitian were released by his successor, Nerva (A.D. 96–98; see Vol. VI, p. 87), the apostle returned to Ephesus.

Thus, the early Christian testimony places the writing of the Revelation in the time of Domitian’s reign.
OK, that clears that up but Nero was the emperor until 68 A.D. and was known for his terrible treatment of Christians. But if Jesus died in 33 A.D. and John was his apostle and Domitian's reign ended 63 years later in A.D. 96 then how old was John when he wrote Revelations? They had him laboring in the mines on Patmos. Doesn't sound like a man in at least his late 80's to mid 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.