Saturday Ground Update

ManInBrown

Is the plan that we will be doing the same amount of work in 6 days instead of 5? Or are they expecting added business because we're now working Saturday ground?

Mondays should be fun if I'm lucky enough to avoid T-S. Nothing like getting the week started off right with 4 hours of OT. Love those Mondays. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Limper

Out For Delivery
No added business from what I've seen. We have been delivering Saturday ground for 6 months now and it just siphons work from Monday.

NewUPSguy

I'm a part time Cover Driver/Preload, although I haven't really worked preload in six months. I'm one of the next drivers to have the option to go full time. Been working 55-60 hours a week and hate it, been waiting to go full time to work Less hours and get on the 9.5 list and get 8hr requests. Have no life M-friend atm, the weekend was the only saving grace...
*Edit: to clarify, the job is great, just way too many hours than I'd like

But now I'd have to work Saturdays most likely....Sun and Mon days off seem terrible to me....

If I stay a cover driver can they still make me work Sat? Am I better off to take the full time when its available or stay cover driver?

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

No added business from what I've seen. We have been delivering Saturday ground for 6 months now and it just siphons work from Monday.
Did you really thing delivering Saturday ground for your one location for 6 months would affect corporate profits? UPS has a long term strategy for Saturday ground and as long as it is eventually profitable and pays my retirement pension, and my sons paycheck, I am all for it.

PT Car Washer

I'm a part time Cover Driver/Preload, although I haven't really worked preload in six months. I'm one of the next drivers to have the option to go full time. Been working 55-60 hours a week and hate it, been waiting to go full time to work Less hours and get on the 9.5 list and get 8hr requests. Have no life M-friend atm, the weekend was the only saving grace...

But now I'd have to work Saturdays most likely....Sun and Mon days off seem terrible to me....

If I stay a cover driver can they still make me work Sat? Am I better off to take the full time when its available or stay cover driver?
Work as directed and if you really hate the job that much, do yourself a favor and quit now. I guarantee the job well not get better anytime soon. Took me over 30 years before I started to enjoy going to work everyday. And now 10 years later I am hoping I can keep working into my 70's. I work 6 days a week including Saturday.

542thruNthru

Here all cover drivers will be working Saturdays. Could be different where you are.

JL 0513

From what it sounds like right now, Monday's must really suck. I'm guessing really business heavy since most routes are expanded to cover all the cut routes. Much of the good residential stops are delivered on Saturday. Must even get the extra p/u's from cut routes that probably overlap your regular p/u times. Sounds like I want to volunteer for Saturdays while ruining my family life.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm kinda wondering how this will affect feeders as far as shifting for the Saturday preload vs shifting for the Monday preload.

P

pickup

Just did our first Saturday ground today. 166 stops covered about 5 or 6 different routes 115 miles. It feels like the day Was never gonna end.

I'm in year 3 of 4 for the wage progression and to be honest I feel if we are going to make the big leap to saturdays and lose quality family time we should be at top pay. UPS is benefiting tremendously from this as almost all the Saturday guys are new hires. Who knows what's gonna happen in the next four years when they eventually work to top pay.

Anyone know what the next contract will change if anything about wages?

I predict by the time the next contract takes effect, you will be at top pay.

ManInBrown

It's only going to stay the same or get worse for you. Going FT isn't going to alleviate anything. They pile the work on the cheap labor, drivers in progression. You'll be able to use your 8 hour requests but don't think getting on the 9.5 will be that easy. You'll be a cover driver and to get on the 9.5 you have to run the same route for a week. Being low man good luck even winning a request for a route for the week. And if you're lucky enough to, managements not dumb. They'll pull you off that route one day during the week just so you can't file 9.5

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NDA service to all 48 contiguous states began in 1985. I am sure that it also took a while before volume for that service level grew to where it is today.

Saturday ground will not be the game changer that NDA was but it will become an important service offering within the next several years.

badpal

NDA service to all 48 contiguous states began in 1985. I am sure that it also took a while before volume for that service level grew to where it is today.

Saturday ground will not be the game changer that NDA was but it will become an important service offering within the next several years.
Was 1985 when we started delivering Saturday air nationwide too , or was that a few years later? I can remember working the first Saturday , but dang if I can remember the year.

badpal

You also mentioned about volume at the start. I recall the air feeder driver when he got back in those days had so few , he would walk down the belt and place the nda pkgs behind the correct car himself.

35years

Gravy route
Being low man good luck even winning a request for a route for the week. And if you're lucky enough to, managements not dumb. They'll pull you off that route one day during the week just so you can't file 9.5

if they pull you off for a day after winning a request for a route for a week you can file for 9.5 protection just the same as if you worked the whole week on the route. Management is dumb if they think that will work.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
if they pull you off for a day after winning a request for a route for a week you can file for 9.5 protection just the same as if you worked the whole week on the route. Management is dumb if they think that will work.
Winning a request for a route for a week?
No such thing in the south that I know of.