Saturday Ground Update

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Management made these decisions, they should have to deal with them. They should be forced to call every pick up and say the drivers is picking you up two hours early

Let them deal with that crap.
We had a guy that basically did this. To save 5-10 miles a day he told a 2-3 pm pick up that they'd be picked up at 10:30am when they get their delivery from now on.

This pick up to me is the bread and butter we should look for. 10-25 packages every day. Small enough they probably pay close to full price but a consistent shipper.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
it's amazing how many customers suddenly get a phone call asking if their pickup is ready yet from the driver who a day before "didn't have his phone bill paid by UPS"
Lol yeah right. If I have an 8 hour request and pick ups are running behind not my problem. I'll be back at the building and off the clock in under 8. If management has to cover a few pick ups so be it.

We had a guy that basically did this. To save 5-10 miles a day he told a 2-3 pm pick up that they'd be picked up at 10:30am when they get their delivery from now on.

This pick up to me is the bread and butter we should look for. 10-25 packages every day. Small enough they probably pay close to full price but a consistent shipper.
Get a sales lead and screw your customers that you have

Ms.PacMan

Even if ORION were capable of dividing pickup routes in a manner that made geographical sense, it cant do anything about the problem of trying to contain 1400 cubic feet of pickup volume from two routes into a single P-1000. Nor can it do anything for the business who is being delivered 3 hours late and picked up 3 hours early without any warning due to the route which normally services it being eliminated.
I understood what you were saying. It turns into a mad scramble at 4:30 to find other drivers to cover the double pickups that the route driver doesn't have a chance in hell of getting done.

Doesn't seem to be a problem when there is a request 8 in. All the pick ups are magically ready early...

Just sayin....
True, but it's not magic, it's because we provide good customer service and bend over backwards for them the rest of the time and they like us.

JackStraw

Doesn't seem to be a problem when there is a request 8 in. All the pick ups are magically ready early...

Just sayin....
Not sure where you are at but in my neck of the woods an eight hour day gets me to 1800. I'm willing to bet that most pickups are generally scheduled to be p/u between 4-5- 5:30 as most companies have NORMAL working hours. the farthest route is about 40 mins away so an 8 hour day shouldn't require any magic on the drivers part.

Brisket

Orion can figure out how to dispatch pickups from one route by splitting them up and dispatching them to several routes but it lowers delivery stops and adds routes - which is unacceptable - so I'll guess that some centers will do what my center does now on Mondays, which is to dispatch normal stops per car and give certain drivers a printout of extra pickups they need to fit in so Orion isn't involved.

Oh I sure hope not! I would rather have it in my board, not on some 'distraction' ( piece of paper) that could take my attention away from the road.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh I sure hope not! I would rather have it in my board, not on some 'distraction' ( piece of paper) that could take my attention away from the road.

This is the way that we do it on "non-operational" days where we cut a bunch of runs and combine pickups. We then have to force them in as unscheduled and cross them off the list upon completion.

I would still take care of my customers and do the extra pickups on my schedule, not theirs.

Brisket

This is the way that we do it on "non-operational" days where we cut a bunch of runs and combine pickups. We then have to force them in as unscheduled and cross them off the list upon completion.

I would still take care of my customers and do the extra pickups on my schedule, not theirs.

Yep, have done it a time or two but still bites...lol.

Definitely take care of the customer.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
They posted the list of people who have to work Saturday at our center. About half the people coming in for Saturday work are also being forced to show up Monday and if they are not needed Monday they will be sent home and work Tuesday through Saturday. How is the union allowing this to happen?

browntroll

They posted the list of people who have to work Saturday at our center. About half the people coming in for Saturday work are also being forced to show up Monday and if they are not needed Monday they will be sent home and work Tuesday through Saturday. How is the union allowing this to happen?
same with my hub except theyre actually getting more hours then the monday through friday guys. i told a shop steward and he said
we have to wait for the company to balance it out.

ManInBrown

How many total drivers in the center, compared to how many are now being forced to work Saturday?

tourists24

There is still layoff language to be followed. It may suck short term for the Saturday drivers, but every one of them should demand their 8 hours on Monday if they have to come in. A good local should be fighting this tooth and nail publicly. No one needs to be working 6 day work weeks.

ManInBrown

There is still layoff language to be followed. It may suck short term for the Saturday drivers, but every one of them should demand their 8 hours on Monday if they have to come in. A good local should be fighting this tooth and nail publicly. No one needs to be working 6 day work weeks.
Agree. The shop steward in that building needs to get with every driver working Saturday that is being forced to come in Monday, and tell them all to demand their 8 on Monday. That's ridiculous being forced to work 6 days. The 177 has no 6th forced day language. I hope they don't cave on that in the next contract. Doing this job 6 days per week is dangerous, and management forcing it, is reckless.

Agree. The shop steward in that building needs to get with every driver working Saturday that is being forced to come in Monday, and tell them all to demand their 8 on Monday. That's ridiculous being forced to work 6 days. The 177 has no 6th forced day language. I hope they don't cave on that in the next contract. Doing this job 6 days per week is dangerous, and management forcing it, is reckless.
Dangerous? The only danger I see is the bank not having enough money to cash the checks IF someone works six days. Farmers seem to be ok and I think they work seven.

PT Car Washer

Waaa, I have to work 6 days. Cruel and unusual punishment. I would show them and just quit.