Saturday Ground Update

542thruNthru

Really?

Every contract I've seen has language about cover drivers being issued routes based on seniority.

Not here. Cover drivers (PT drivers) are placed where they are needed. When I was a cover driver I was not allowed to bid on a route for a week.

They are taken advantage of but will not do anything about it because they are scared they will be sent back to the hub.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not here. Cover drivers (PT drivers) are placed where they are needed. When I was a cover driver I was not allowed to bid on a route for a week.

They are taken advantage of but will not do anything about it because they are scared they will be sent back to the hub.
What does your contract say?

I'll be it says seniority will be taken into consideration..... The company likes to act like that means they can do whatever they want. Which they can but it also means if they pull you off a route for a non emergency then you're still 9.5 eligible

Edit. I just saw you said part time cover drivers. Yes they wouldn't be covered under this language. PT cover driving dumbfounds me. I mean the south is the only region that has this terrible region yet they pass the contract every time by a large percentage.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Really?

Every contract I've seen has language about cover drivers being issued routes based on seniority.
"Seniority shall be considered when making work assignments for drivers not holding a bid route" is the language in the South. Pretty vague. There's no "winning a request for a route for a week" like he said though. Bids aren't put up for open routes by the week, nothing is in writing. It's just a bad system.

If you're high enough in seniority you might know what you'll be on for the week, but if you've got enough seniority for that you've probably already got 4 years in and could be on 9.5 list regardless of whether or not you're on the route for the whole week.

It's only 4 years without 9.5 either way.

Brownslave688

"Seniority shall be considered when making work assignments for drivers not holding a bid route" is the language in the South. Pretty vague. There's no "winning a request for a route for a week" like he said though. Bids aren't put up for open routes by the week, nothing is in writing. It's just a bad system.

If you're high enough in seniority you might know what you'll be on for the week, but if you've got enough seniority for that you've probably already got 4 years in and could be on 9.5 list regardless of whether or not you're on the route for the whole week.

It's only 4 years without 9.5 either way.
the way that wording is interrupted here is you get to request based on seniority what vacation you'll cover.

There are reasonable situations that one can be pulled from their route but it shouldn't happen very often. Them moving you to another route for 2 days just so you can't file. Is not a reasonable reason and any BA should wipe the floor with them over that.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
the way that wording is interrupted here is you get to request based on seniority what vacation you'll cover.

There are reasonable situations that one can be pulled from their route but it shouldn't happen very often. Them moving you to another route for 2 days just so you can't file. Is not a reasonable reason and any BA should wipe the floor with them over that.
I think that's the intent of the language we have as well.
In all honesty I don't think we have very many 9.5 drivers so that's probably part of it.

Brownslave688

I think that's the intent of the language we have as well.
In all honesty I don't think we have very many 9.5 drivers so that's probably part of it.
It ultimately comes down to interpretations and union representatives that are willing to fight for it.

From the sounds of it the southern region does not have strong representation

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
holiday planning =/= saturday planning

region does holiday crap, your local district does the saturday
You and I both know that local or district management will never be allowed to dispatch underloads on Mondays in order to make service on the pickups.
Stops per car is a metric that is chiseled in stone and that metric will be generated by any means necessary regardless of the consequences.

ManInBrown

if they pull you off for a day after winning a request for a route for a week you can file for 9.5 protection just the same as if you worked the whole week on the route. Management is dumb if they think that will work.
Yes correct. But what I was saying was being low man it might be hard for this driver to even win a route request for the week.

ManInBrown

We all know how it is when you're low man on the totem pole. You're the center b*tch. To make this driver believe he can waltz in and just started winning route requests to get on the 9.5 is slightly inaccurate. When I first started they would throw a cut route together 10 minutes before start time where every package had the same PAL number in 5 different towns and they would say have fun.

Ms.PacMan

You and I both know that local or district management will never be allowed to dispatch underloads on Mondays in order to make service on the pickups.
Stops per car is a metric that is chiseled in stone and that metric will be generated by any means necessary regardless of the consequences.

Orion can figure out how to dispatch pickups from one route by splitting them up and dispatching them to several routes but it lowers delivery stops and adds routes - which is unacceptable - so I'll guess that some centers will do what my center does now on Mondays, which is to dispatch normal stops per car and give certain drivers a printout of extra pickups they need to fit in so Orion isn't involved.

Brownslave688

Orion can figure out how to dispatch pickups from one route by splitting them up and dispatching them to several routes but it lowers delivery stops and adds routes - which is unacceptable - so I'll guess that some centers will do what my center does now on Mondays, which is to dispatch normal stops per car and give certain drivers a printout of extra pickups they need to fit in so Orion isn't involved.
It's downright comical what Orion does
To rural route pick ups when we eliminate a route.

Thank goodness they're mostly smart pick ups that don't ship anything. Otherwise I'd be pulling 15-20 miles for pick ups.

soberups

Even if ORION were capable of dividing pickup routes in a manner that made geographical sense, it cant do anything about the problem of trying to contain 1400 cubic feet of pickup volume from two routes into a single P-1000. Nor can it do anything for the business who is being delivered 3 hours late and picked up 3 hours early without any warning due to the route which normally services it being eliminated.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Even if ORION were capable of dividing pickup routes in a manner that made geographical sense, it cant do anything about the problem of trying to contain 1400 cubic feet of pickup volume from two routes into a single P-1000. Nor can it do anything for the business who is being delivered 3 hours late and picked up 3 hours early without any warning due to the route which normally services it being eliminated.

Doesn't seem to be a problem when there is a request 8 in. All the pick ups are magically ready early...

Just sayin....

542thruNthru

Doesn't seem to be a problem when there is a request 8 in. All the pick ups are magically ready early...

Just sayin....

I guess you didn't see the part where he said "with out any warning." When we have a 8hr request we usually let out pick ups know early when we deliver that we will need them to be picked up early. Also we usually do that for management because they would cry and complain about needing to find someone to cover them.

soberups

Just sayin....
Stop being obtuse.
An 8 hr request might require a handful of pickups to be done a few minutes early, or maybe a late closeout to be shifted to an adjacent route. Which is an entirely different thing than taking a chainsaw to the dispatch and putting two complete pickup strings onto one route that cannot possibly contain them or fit them into a realistic time window in order to hit "stops per car" on a light volume day.

And if you are worth a rats ass as a center manager...which I suspect you are...this is a fact that you are well aware of.

Stop being obtuse.
An 8 hr request might require a handful of pickups to be done a few minutes early, or maybe a late closeout to be shifted to an adjacent route. Which is an entirely different thing than taking a chainsaw to the dispatch and putting two complete pickup strings onto one route that cannot possibly contain them or fit them into a realistic time window in order to hit "stops per car" on a light volume day.

And if you are worth a rats ass as a center manager...which I suspect you are...this is a fact that you are well aware of.
Management made these decisions, they should have to deal with them. They should be forced to call every pick up and say the drivers is picking you up two hours early

Let them deal with that crap.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

Just sayin....
it's amazing how many customers suddenly get a phone call asking if their pickup is ready yet from the driver who a day before "didn't have his phone bill paid by UPS"

542thruNthru

it's amazing how many customers suddenly get a phone call asking if their pickup is ready yet from the driver who a day before "didn't have his phone bill paid by UPS"

It's funny reading these type of comments.

Do you realize 99% of pick ups get a delivery early in the day. Then the driver comes back and picks them up later. We don't need to use our phones. We just say "hey TearsInRain doesn't realize how things work out here. I need to pick you up early today. Is that ok?"

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
It's funny reading these type of comments.

Do you realize 99% of pick ups get a delivery early in the day. Then the driver comes back and picks them up later. We don't need to use our phones. We just say "hey TearsInRain doesn't realize how things work out here. I need to pick you up early today. Is that ok?"

bless your heart i had no idea tell me more