Second Class Drivers

At my building

We have dropped in the amount of routes we put out daily over the past 10 years.

The drivers still work 12s but it’s less drivers covering the same amount of area

Considering the city’s we cover have grown by at least 10% per year
So you have less routes today than you did 10 years ago And your volume is up 160%?

opie

Went to my local union meeting. They did not mention these "hybrid" drivers until someone brought it up. The local leadership said it may not even make to any tentative agreement. But they seemed to be open to these positions as it creates more full-time jobs. Though without very strong language/restrictions, I don't see "hybrid" drivers being a reality.

opie

It is. It starts at the end of the month.

My local meeting did not mention any pullback. Only that Saturday ground is expanding. In my local we still haven't had every building go live yet. Doesn't make sense to scale back if the volume is there. Some areas maybe it is slow, so cutting back is a no brainer.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
My local meeting did not mention any pullback. Only that Saturday ground is expanding. In my local we still haven't had every building go live yet. Doesn't make sense to scale back if the volume is there. Some areas maybe it is slow, so cutting back is a no brainer.
It's not dependant on area. I drive in Washington state. I transferred from so cal. My driver buddy in so cal called to tell me about them scaling back Saturday. Going from 24 routes to 10. Couple days later I asked my supervisor about it up here in Washington and he said they are doing that in my building as well. So maybe it's not a nation wide thing.

opie

So would paying new FT drivers $10/hr. Sounds like they’re missing the point if they’re open to this concession.

They mentioned that other parts of the country use part timers to deliver grounds. Maybe referring to where they use part timers to drive seasonal/utility. So, basically saying this something not groundbreaking since it has been going on elsewhere. Though I think they only use them for a couple months. While these hybrids would be year-round. Seemed like they may push this through, though admitted more work needs to be done to fine tune the language. Basically they want more FT jobs and give regular FT drivers Saturdays off, and this is one idea the commitee came up with.

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was thinking about it the last couple days.
I am not going to pass judgement until I actually see how it's written in the proposal.

We already have air drivers that work at a reduced rate to deliver packages. Air or not, they are still packages.
I'd rather have UNION UPS part timers delivering like an air driver, than have UBER UPS people delivering.
There has to be language that will hurt UPS if they use these to replace FT driver bids.
Language is also needed to increase FT drivers when volume increases, not just hire and increase this "second class".

Maybe 1 for every 10 routes on the road (just made up the number)
Maybe after 250 delivery hours, these guys get FT bids with no progression
Maybe they get FT rate if they deliver more than 4 hours, by the clock not some Orion made up number.

All these scenarios are made up but there are ways to work it and protect union work and FT driver jobs.

opie

Air driver is a much easier job. Smaller truck, smaller packages and less packages. Just pay these hybrids the ground rate. Any ground work should be paid the the ground rate. Having ground packages delivered for less, only opens a pandora's box.

Inthegame

I am not going to pass judgement until I actually see how it's written in the proposal.

We already have air drivers that work at a reduced rate to deliver packages. Air or not, they are still packages.
I'd rather have UNION UPS part timers delivering like an air driver, than have UBER UPS people delivering.
There has to be language that will hurt UPS if they use these to replace FT driver bids.
Language is also needed to increase FT drivers when volume increases, not just hire and increase this "second class".

Maybe they get FT rate if they deliver more than 4 hours, by the clock not some Orion made up number.

All these scenarios are made up but there are ways to work it and protect union work and FT driver jobs.
Hmmm...I think there's a few openings on the committee...

YUOVER95

Think about how disastrous Peak 2017 was. If we had a whole crew of part time drivers delivering residential for 4 hours, we wouldn’t be pushing 14 hour days. Now I believe when it dies down and goes back to normal. They go back to hub work Monday through Friday and deliver on Saturday or Sunday. But if it comes to it we need more help Monday through Friday, all other options need to be exhausted for the FT Drivers. We don’t want to go 70 hour work weeks, we’re pushing for all drivers on the 9.5 list. And the company wants to run 7 days a week. At least it would be with union workers and not Non Union PVD drivers. It might not be a bad idea, just need to see how it’s written.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Think about how disastrous Peak 2017 was. If we had a whole crew of part time drivers delivering residential for 4 hours, we wouldn’t be pushing 14 hour days. Now I believe when it dies down and goes back to normal. They go back to hub work Monday through Friday and deliver on Saturday or Sunday. But if it comes to it we need more help Monday through Friday, all other options need to be exhausted for the FT Drivers. We don’t want to go 70 hour work weeks, we’re pushing for all drivers on the 9.5 list. And the company wants to run 7 days a week. At least it would be with union workers and not Non Union PVD drivers. It might not be a bad idea, just need to see how it’s written.

Hire more Fulltime package car drivers

It’s that simple

Hire more Fulltime package car drivers

It’s that simple
My building has been trying to qualify new drivers for the last couple years. Still can not qualify enough to fill retirement vacancy's or delivery drivers moving to Feeders. Peak vacations start later this month. Air drivers will be working 70 hours a week to fill in.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
We do have a who crew of part timers, it’s called TCD. Can be used 26 weeks a year. The problem is with UPS and their ideology of corporate greed and price per share.