Should I become a on car supervisor

BrownInTx

Why pkg for 25 years , you can go feeder

I did pkg for 13 years and still feel great and will finish my last 20 in feeder

I thought of that. But a few of our feeders got the choice to either transfer of go back to pkg. Now they are at the bottom of pkg seniority.

AlliSeeisBrown

My OCS told me on a safety ride that the only reason he went into management after being a FT driver was because he was a runner gunner that didn't practice the methods and threw out his back at a very young age.

My first week as an RTD, I rode along with an OCS from another center in another state and he told me they shipped him over here for this peak to help out. He was with us from Black Friday up until December 24th. I feel bad for him because he had young kids, wife, whole 9 yards and he was in a hotel for over a month away from home.

I've personally considered the same question myself. I like some aspects of it, but from what I've seen, especially if you have a degree and want to use it, I'd entertain other opportunities.

BrownTexas

Honestly not everyone can't handle this job. If they could we would make a lot less.
. Being able to do the job, and being able to handle it are 2 different things I believe. UPS management does a pretty good job keeping the younger guys scared. Some are so scared they quit before they ever actually get started.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I don't regret my choice to do it. But it isn't for everyone.

To kind of go off what everybody else has said. You do work longer hours. I'm at my 60 every week. A lot of hourlies do that many hours, but the vast majority do not (contrary to the hive mind speak on here). I saw one member say guys work from 7:30-8:30. I've never had that experience. There are sups that come in later, but I'm usually in the door by 545AM. Peak, if I'm not driving it's 515. 7 if I am.

The stress is a lot different. There is a lot more you have to worry about. You aren't worried about your package car. You are worried about 20 guys and 20 package cars. You catch crap from both sides. Guys are pissed about their dispatches and the center manager is pissed about the numbers. If you want to be successful you have to have a level of critical thinking and be able to problem solve. Both skills are missing at every level of this company.

One beautiful thing about being hourly is one you hit punch out, you're done. Not the case in management. I'm on vacation this week and the phone hasn't stopped. I ignore most of it, but it doesn't go away. Same with when you are working. I can't remember the last weeknight I sat down for dinner and didn't have it interrupted by the phone. I'm very lucky to have a partner who understands and doesn't go crazy over it. But you also have to set personal limits.

Frankly, guys are just going to hate you. I mean, there is just no avoiding it. Even if you don't treat them like garbage chances are there is someone in their career that has. You're that guy now. Relationships are important, but it takes a lot of time to build them. I started in a new center last July, and I'm just starting to feel like I have a good relationship with the guys in my driver group. Some will never come around, but oh well.

If you have any questions PM me.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Sometimes when a new supervisor is needed , it is someone who is transferred from a nearby center. If this is the case and you have the opportunity to go to this nearby center as an oncar, I would do it. The employees that you'd be managing wouldn't know you, and I think you'd be more effective. Whatever choice you make just go all in, no regrets that way.
Many of those employees look at you suspiciously though. Building positive relationships makes this job a lot easier. I was fortunate being in a small center. When I moved to FT I knew all the drivers well and they knew me. From Day 1 we were able to be on the same page.

But when I moved centers it was a whole new ballgame. Takes a long time to understand the guys and they needed to learn me and my expectations. Like I said in a previous post, I started at this center in July and I just feel like I'm getting to a point where I believe we are on the same page.

BrownInTx

I don't regret my choice to do it. But it isn't for everyone.

To kind of go off what everybody else has said. You do work longer hours. I'm at my 60 every week. A lot of hourlies do that many hours, but the vast majority do not (contrary to the hive mind speak on here). I saw one member say guys work from 7:30-8:30. I've never had that experience. There are sups that come in later, but I'm usually in the door by 545AM. Peak, if I'm not driving it's 515. 7 if I am.

The stress is a lot different. There is a lot more you have to worry about. You aren't worried about your package car. You are worried about 20 guys and 20 package cars. You catch crap from both sides. Guys are :censored2: about their dispatches and the center manager is :censored2: about the numbers. If you want to be successful you have to have a level of critical thinking and be able to problem solve. Both skills are missing at every level of this company.

One beautiful thing about being hourly is one you hit punch out, you're done. Not the case in management. I'm on vacation this week and the phone hasn't stopped. I ignore most of it, but it doesn't go away. Same with when you are working. I can't remember the last weeknight I sat down for dinner and didn't have it interrupted by the phone. I'm very lucky to have a partner who understands and doesn't go crazy over it. But you also have to set personal limits.

Frankly, guys are just going to hate you. I mean, there is just no avoiding it. Even if you don't treat them like garbage chances are there is someone in their career that has. You're that guy now. Relationships are important, but it takes a lot of time to build them. I started in a new center last July, and I'm just starting to feel like I have a good relationship with the guys in my driver group. Some will never come around, but oh well.

If you have any questions PM me.

I really appreciate the positive feedback.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I have noticed during peak, that many work 7 days a week.
Another consideration to think about.
I've done and seen plenty of 6 day work weeks. Never heard of 7. Maybe for sort sups.

Peak is about the only time they monitor our DOT. Rest of the year it is a "Keep track of your hours!" Wink wink, cough cough type of deal

BrownInTx

. Being able to do the job, and being able to handle it are 2 different things I believe. UPS management does a pretty good job keeping the younger guys scared. Some are so scared they quit before they ever actually get started.

There is a fine line to that procedure. As a supe you need to reassure the new hire he/she is going to make it as long as he/she keeps working hard and at a steady pace.

BrownInTx

I'm working on average 50 to 55 hours a week. 60 will be fine. I kinda figured the pension for drivers would go away. I have narrowed most of my concerns down now. It is basically going to boil down to what I get offered. What I will accept and what I will refuse.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
There is a fine line to that procedure. As a supe you need to reassure the new hire he/she is going to make it as long as he/she keeps working hard and at a steady pace.
No, you really shouldn't be. You hold their hand at first and help them along the way, but there is a certain point where you have to say, alright buddy, time to sink or swim. You usually know by day 12-13 whether they are going to make it or not.

This is not a touchy-feely company. I want people to succeed, but I'm not going to qualify you because I don't want your feelings to be hurt. Being a service provider is not for everybody. You need to keep that in mind or else you're going to have a whole bunch of drivers 2+ hours over everyday and a butt hole stretched as wide as a storm drain.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm working on average 50 to 55 hours a week. 60 will be fine. I kinda figured the pension for drivers would go away. I have narrowed most of my concerns down now. It is basically going to boil down to what I get offered. What I will accept and what I will refuse.
You're not going to like the offer. Promise you that. I'm 24, that kind of money was big, and I had no aspirations of driving FT. Getting married in April and student loans to pay off. It made sense.

I get paid well. I'm content with it. But if you're going into management just for the money, run. Because it isn't there.

BrownInTx

You're not going to like the offer. Promise you that. I'm 24, that kind of money was big, and I had no aspirations of driving FT. Getting married in April and student loans to pay off. It made sense.

I get paid well. I'm content with it. But if you're going into management just for the money, run. Because it isn't there.

It will be based off my current pay is what I've been told.

BrownInTx

No, you really shouldn't be. You hold their hand at first and help them along the way, but there is a certain point where you have to say, alright buddy, time to sink or swim. You usually know by day 12-13 whether they are going to make it or not.

This is not a touchy-feely company. I want people to succeed, but I'm not going to qualify you because I don't want your feelings to be hurt. Being a service provider is not for everybody. You need to keep that in mind or else you're going to have a whole bunch of drivers 2+ hours over everyday and a butt hole stretched as wide as a storm drain.

If you don't mind me asking what is your pay ?