Package car driver position

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
UPS-Truck-Wreck-Photo-with-car.png
Artist rendering of the road test:

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Doubt it. Where would this sort of thing even show up?
Under the “this guy isn’t gonna be one we want” conversation that happened five minutes before you got on the truck when the managers had their meeting.

It’s either that, or they let you go because you drove 3 miles an hour too slow.

Which sounds more likely?

oldngray

nowhere special
Under the “this guy isn’t gonna be one we want” conversation that happened five minutes before you got on the truck when the managers had their meeting.

It’s either that, or they let you go because you drove 3 miles an hour too slow.

Sometimes anyone can tell within minutes that someone will never be able to qualify. They will usually give them enough time to prove it or have a wreck first. Especially if they are a diversity hire.

Chol Tong

Speed wasn’t the only factor. But whatever the case is, why would they waste their time with yet another road test when they could just schedule someone else?

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Speed wasn’t the only factor. But whatever the case is, why would they waste their time with yet another road test when they could just schedule someone else?
We are seeing this very thing in our center. 15 road tests scheduled for 3 seasonal driver hires that MIGHT drive three or four days during the entire vacation season.
It's a waste of everyone's time.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Not sure about that but mine was for a FT position Tuesday-Saturday
I think you're missing my point.
Corporate stooge in Atlanta thinks your center needs drivers and has HR post positions. But local management has no intention of filling position OR even if filled finding you the work whilst volume is stagnant at best.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Yea the unfortunate bit about the structure of this company is there's no learning by proxy anymore. The trucks are just pure visual-spacial muscle memory. A lot of these replies forgot or retrograded their memory on what it's like to not be able to see things as intuitively as when you've driven the same box on wheels for tens of thousands of hours.

My only advice? You have to keep the pressure on youself to deadpan stop and get out and look over an over and over and over again until you actually know %100 you are not going to touch something when you get back in for another maneuver. Painted lines don't matter, posted speeds don't matter, the 4-way flashers let you park virtually anywhere you like. Take as much space as you need, walk as many stops off as you need.

If you are in for a few months. I find trash day is a really good day to practice with close curb hazards lol (Just make sure to send "I touched a trash can!" in the diad, they love those) eventually you'll be speeding past things with a whiff of space on either side, not that you should but it really is just repetition.

Last edited:

Chol Tong

Yea the unfortunate bit about the structure of this company is there's no learning by proxy anymore. The trucks are just pure visual-spacial muscle memory. A lot of these replies forgot or retrograded their memory on what it's like to not be able to see things as intuitively as when you've driven the same box on wheels for tens of thousands of hours.

My only advice? You have to keep the pressure on youself to deadpan stop and get out and look over an over and over and over again until you actually know %100 you are not going to touch something when you get back in for another maneuver. Painted lines don't matter, posted speeds don't matter, the 4-way flashers let you park virtually anywhere you like. Take as much space as you need, walk as many stops off as you need.

If you are in for a few months. I find trash day is a really good day to practice with close curb hazards lol (Just make sure to send "I touched a trash can!" in the diad, they love those) eventually you'll be speeding past things with a whiff of space on either side, not that you should but it really is just repetition.
Appreciate it!

BrownSnowFlake

Even with an automatic with power steering, power brakes and a back up camera you still couldn't pass. What has this younger generation come to?
I don’t remember “driving a little under the speed limit” or coming “close to a trailer” being demerits on the road test.

His management is playing games and we know why. They ain’t hiring drivers right now. They got drivers laid off, sitting at home right now.