Should I become a on car supervisor

BrownInTx

Suppose the 20+ years were all as a driver---would you make the move if it were offered to you today?

To the OP---Dragon has the best post yet. He is spot on when he says that anymore who solicits the advice of strangers on the Internet before making such a decision does not have what it takes to be a leader.

Take care before putting pen to paper.

I have what it takes no doubt in my mind. And clearly after two different center managers have asked me to be an on car they think so also. It's entertaining to see what drivers say when they have very little actual experience. I appreciate dragon chiming in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have what it takes no doubt in my mind. And clearly after two different center managers have asked me to be an on car they think so also. It's entertaining to see what drivers say when they have very little actual experience. I appreciate dragon chiming in.

I starting my 28th year so I am quite certain I speak from experience.

jaker

trolling
If you let these guys make the decision for you (on the internet), then you really were not a leader anyway.

by the way I was a driver for 10+ years and now have well over 10+ in management, when I compare them side by side my management position comes out on top.
You are right it's not for everyone , you need to have no heart or Morales to workers or yourself so if you can be that way then you have a chance to be a good management

Another issue I guess there is no trial period once you are in you are in

Now ask yourself this and it takes everything he said out , why don't you see more drivers becoming management if it was a good move

Last edited:

BrownInTx

You are right it's not for everyone , you need to have no heart or Morales to workers or yourself so if you can be that way then you have a chance to be a good management

Another issue I guess there is no trial period once you are in you are in

Now ask yourself this and it takes everything he said out , why don't you see more drivers becoming management of it was a good move

They lack leadership skills and most are scared to step up into the position.

jaker

trolling
This comment right here I will tell you to join management , we might not have actual experience in the sup department but we have decades of watching how sups are treated and if that doesn't warrant experience something then move just be sure to come back in 2 years and tell us how it is

Last edited:
If you let these guys make the decision for you (on the internet), then you really were not a leader anyway.

by the way I was a driver for 10+ years and now have well over 10+ in management, when I compare them side by side my management position comes out on top.
You forgot one important thing

When you are an hourly, you punch out and go home

Can you say the same for management?

jaker

trolling
They lack leadership skills and most are scared to step up into the position.
You are joking right , you do realize more then 80% percent of the sups are off the street with no experience at all

The difference is we know what the jobs means and the off the street doesn't , but I see where you are going so just move on and let us know in a few years how you are doing

jaker

trolling
What's funny is you think there is leadership , you will learn quick enough when you move over that you are the bigger puppet and where the leadership really is

BrownInTx

You are joking right , you do realize more then 80% percent of the sups are off the street with no experience at all

The difference is we know what the jobs means and the off the street doesn't , but I see where you are going so just move on and let us know in a few years how you are doing

At our center we have one on car with 28 years and one with not even a year. They haven't hired one yet off the street since I've been here. But I see what you're saying. It's not for everyone. I could drive but i would have to 9.5 and take it easy. I still need to go over many things before I make my final decision.

At our center we have one on car with 28 years and one with not even a year. They haven't hired one yet off the street since I've been here. But I see what you're saying. It's not for everyone. I could drive but i would have to 9.5 and take it easy. I still need to go over many things before I make my final decision.
How long have you worked here?

BrownInTx

This comment right here I will tell you to join management , we might not have actual experience in the sup department but we have decades of watching how sups are treated and if that doesn't warrant experience something then move just be sure to come back in 2 years and tell us how it is

How sups are treated ? Drivers trying to run them over or run them in circles ? Or the center manager pressuring them to do things. I do lack experience no doubt. But I've watched closely for the short time I've been here