steel tariffs

It will be fine

This guy also doesn't seem to think it's a good idea to give exemptions to certain countries.

GARY: Yeah. So aluminum is a commodity. And so in order to have an effective remedy for a commodity, it needs to be broad and comprehensive. Because what will happen is that if you just have targeted tariffs, what would happen is the aluminum trade flows would shift. And so what you'd see is, if Canada were to be excluded, people would just bring aluminum in through Canada, and or those job gains and those restarts would actually occur in Canada rather than the United States.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
This guy also doesn't seem to think it's a good idea to give exemptions to certain countries.

GARY: Yeah. So aluminum is a commodity. And so in order to have an effective remedy for a commodity, it needs to be broad and comprehensive. Because what will happen is that if you just have targeted tariffs, what would happen is the aluminum trade flows would shift. And so what you'd see is, if Canada were to be excluded, people would just bring aluminum in through Canada, and or those job gains and those restarts would actually occur in Canada rather than the United States.
don' worry about wolverine

Jkloc420

INSKEEP: Here's a bigger impact, at least according to some economists. Stephen Moore - who has advised the president, by the way, on trade - said in an op-ed article over the weekend that these tariffs could protect 140,000 jobs - that sounds good - but then might put several million manufacturing and related jobs at risk because other countries are already talking of retaliation, as you know.
it might also cost a little more to make the ironman suit and captain America's sheild

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just have to wait and see... Could just be a way to make NAFTA more reasonable..

Well, let's talk about that, Steve, because we think there's been a lot of rhetoric on this issue, and we think it's really a bit of a red herring. So when you look at the actual potential price effects of a tariff here on the end user, we think it'll be negligible, if anything at all. But let's just assume for a second that the full effect of the tariff were to be passed along to the end consumer. Let's take a beer can, for example. There's about 3 cents' worth of aluminum in a beer can. So a 10 percent tariff on that beer can would mean the price of that beer can would go up by three-tenths of one penny, or about a penny-and-a-half on a six-pack. Take an automobile. Brand-new automobile, average automobile in this country is sold for about $35,000. There's about 400 pounds of aluminum in that automobile. If that full 10 percent were transmitted, it'd be about a $40 increase in the price of that $35,000 vehicle.

And if any sane person thinks brewers and soft drink makers are only going to raise the price of a six-pack by a penny and a half, or any auto manufacturer is only going to raise the price of a vehicle by $40, I have some prime, coastal real estate in Arizona for sale cheap.

It will be fine

I’m confused, I thought liberals liked sales taxes
With normal taxes at least the public gets some services in return. This new tax will be imposed on everyone to puff up profits for a very small number of steel and aluminum production companies. That's not exactly a public good.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
And if any sane person thinks brewers and soft drink makers are only going to raise the price of a six-pack by a penny and a half, or any auto manufacturer is only going to raise the price of a vehicle by $40, I have some prime, coastal real estate in Arizona for sale cheap.
Do I need references?

With normal taxes at least the public gets some services in return. This new tax will be imposed on everyone to puff up profits for a very small number of steel and aluminum production companies. That's not exactly a public good.
Sales tax = public good?

Jkloc420

depends if people get jobs or get to keep their jobs. I guess you dont like taxes that help union steel workers

refineryworker05

Trump’s weakness as a president and cluelessness as a president are perfectly encapsulated in this debacle.

One has to be blind to pretend getting European nations and republican elected officials to turn against his tariffs are all ok.

trump play acts as president. Smh.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not a liberal, your a liberal and hate trump
8Chiedb.png

Non sequitur

The Chinese government "free trade" agents are against US negotiators. Trans-shipment was exposed a couple of years ago in the industry I was involved in. :censored2:ing Chinese cheaters dumping. Over produce and then back channel third country ship. Now what were you saying?

It will be fine

The Chinese government "free trade" agents are against US negotiators. Trans-shipment was exposed a couple of years ago in the industry I was involved in. :censored2:ing Chinese cheaters dumping. Over produce and then back channel third country ship. Now what were you saying?
I'll guess you're talking to me. The US gets 3% of its steel from China. Allowing Canada and Mexico to be exempt from the tariffs allows them to import Chinese steel and then move it to the US. Who's winning with this plan?

Jkloc420

Who will be the Solyndra of Trump? Which company will he pick as a winner while the rest of us loose?
Trump isnt picking winners. Steel is already there. He is trying to make it fair. He is trying to get people to use american steel and not cheap stuff shipped in