They are taking FT drivers OT

Basically, they will never end overtime for package car drivers. The new harassment and 9.5 language will give the members options. This 22.4 will as well, whenever it gets ratified. Remember this, Every package car on the road costs more in insurance, gas, and upsets their stops per car. If you are a package car driver who wants the hours you'll get them.
We have to fund our retirement someh
yes you do
That's where most of my overtime goes towards.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
OT is a consideration. Why do you think your sups come down with the whole “no one past 9.5. If you are, you need to message the center” crap?
Now don’t get me wrong, dispatch certainly factors in OT into the routes they build, but certainly the trend would spike downward if they can do it and make a profit.
To cover their arse on article 37! If your argument held any water at all they would actually lift a finger to fix a 9.5 issue on a Friday of a driver who had been violated less than twice that week. But they don't, because they don't care, because article 37 doesn't come into play!
Lastly, drivers and loaders do not ever refer to it as "building a route" EVER!

I sat thru the proposal meeting and have heard endless complaints about hours worked and weekend work,9.5,9.5,9.5,that's clearly what the members where most concerned with.the drivers said the 9.5 language does not mean that the company should violate and pay the penalty.now they wont.
You need to think this one through a bit. The company won't violate and pay because the hybrid drivers are exempt from those protections and as such the company is free to abuse them at will!

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is there start time protection language I’m unaware of?

There's language in the Central Region.

"If, during the life of this Agreement, a driver’s bid area is permanently changed by fifty percent (50%) or more of the total stops, start time change of more than one (1) hour or a change of fifty percent (50%) or more of the area or loop, he/she shall have the right to follow whichever portion of his/her bid area he/she desires or he/she will have the option to bump a junior driver in accordance with local seniority practices."

Also Maintenance of Standards:

"The Employer agrees that all conditions of employment in his/her individual operation relating to wages, hours of work, overtime differentials and general working conditions shall be maintained at not less than the highest standards in effect at the time of the signing of this Agreement"

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

Everyone is getting in a big huff.... over nothing.

-Bug-

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
"The Employer agrees that all conditions of employment in his/her individual operation relating to wages, hours of work, overtime differentials and general working conditions shall be maintained at not less than the highest standards in effect at the time of the signing of this Agreement"

Are we? "Highest standards" is subjective. What one side says it is may not be what the other side interprets! As for the start times. Start times have been moved back another 10 mins the past few weeks. Contract is voted on and they move them 55 mins back. That is less than an hour. Driver start times are suddenly 5 mins before 10 am. The 9.5 mark becomes 8 pm. Home with family at 8:30. Do you see why the concern? The 11 hour days become home at 10 pm. Once we vote yes do you think we can say, "ops, our bad, didn't want that so lets redo or you change?"

DOK

Is there start time protection language I’m unaware of?

"If, during the life of this Agreement, a driver’s bid area is permanently changed by fifty percent (50%) or more of the total stops, start time change of more than one (1) hour or a change of fifty percent (50%) or more of the area or loop, he/she shall have the right to follow whichever portion of his/her bid area he/she desires or he/she will have the option to bump a junior driver in accordance with local seniority practices."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-

I’ll have to check ours, thanks.

Logic

Quote from member Undertow. If the union and company were serious about using hybrids to ease the overloaded dispatch, then present a clause that has irrefutable 9.5 language on one end and iron clad protection forbidding exploitation of hybrids up to 70 hours on the other. Until that happens, I'd refuse it right there regardless of whatever other issues they claim to have "fixed".
And offer overtime and extra work to Regular Package Car Drivers first, and then offer the OT to 22.4 hybrid combination drivers.
This way the people who want the OT can get it. Those (whether they are RPCD or 22.4 hybrid drivers) who want to spend more time with their families will have that option.

Why would anyone think that having a new hybrid driver with a family work up to 70 hours with NO 9.5 PROTECTION EVER is good for that drivers family time?

When there are RPCD's who still want the OT because their kids have already moved out, etc. They already missed most of their kids weekday extracurricular activities over the last 15 years. Why penalize the drivers who have already sacrificed by losing that precious time?

Offer OT to Full Time Package Car Drivers first, then offer it to Air Drivers, and then offer it to 22.4s. If staffing needs are not met, then force in reverse order.

Why is it so difficult to get this common sense language into the Contract?
I wish everyone thought this way

Delivery!!!

I have suggestion. 8hr work for one driver per week. This way hybrid will have work and RPCD will get overtime and a designated day to spend more time with family.
I had this thought too a week or so ago. I was thinking about a hybrid day you could bid on to for rpcds instead of having hybrid drivers. Or maybe a designated hours only day once a week with a 4 hour guarantee and not to exceed 6. Helps reduce ot while management doesn't have to worry about someone's guaranteed 8 and gets the early
driver a day each week for family or social things, like a golf league or softball or something.

Skooney

If so, lets just put in in writing. All extra work and OT shall 1st be offered to Full Time Package drivers and then offered to 22.4 drivers. This language would not affect any Full Time Package car driver who does not want OT.

Pretty simple language. The excessive OT issue a minority of drivers addressed does
not justify taking all rights to OT away from Full Time Drivers who want it.

It is just a sneaky omission that the Teamsters are not telling drivers.

Perhaps it was a minority where you are, but I sat in those pre-negotiation meetings at our hall, and it was far from a minority that felt they were being over worked, AND the lower seniority guys, 95% of them bitched about working a 6th day/Saturday's. There was just a rant session in the bay while waiting on late flights, of about 10 drivers on Friday about being forced to work 6 days. There is very little offered OT in our building, whats in your truck is in your truck, that's your day whether it's 10 hours or not.

However, now that the language has come out, many of those very same senior drivers are the ones bitching about losing $25,000 a year. I just had a few buddies over for a BBQ last night and a couple of them who had that concern, one even admitted maybe bitching about the work load wasn't the smartest thing. Good thing his wife is a triage nurse...

All I know, is 4 1/2 more years. Wife retires from the state in Feb. 2023 and I'll be done with 28 years. Bring on the work until then...

Last edited:

Logic

-Bug-
This post would be more comforting if contract violations went more in favor to us workers. But more often than not it goes to UPS or at best they get a slap on the wrist 3 months down the road.

Also, all this language does is allows a driver to switch routes, which is not what we want to do. We want our routes protected from major changes. If they were to change all start times to noon(not saying that will happen, but let's just play it out to see) then the only option for a driver is to bump someone who has to start at noon anyway.

Article 40 would be a nice protection from this if everyone agreed that "hours of work" meant our current start times, but all they have to say is that drivers are getting their 8, 9, 10, hours etc. as normal so normal hours of work. And with my local they will not fight something like that.

Logic

-Bug-
This post would be more comforting if contract violations went more in favor to us workers. But more often than not it goes to UPS or at best they get a slap on the wrist 3 months down the road.

Also, all this language does is allows a driver to switch routes, which is not what we want to do. We want our routes protected from major changes. If they were to change all start times to noon(not saying that will happen, but let's just play it out to see) then the only option for a driver is to bump someone who has to start at noon anyway.

Article 40 would be a nice protection from this if everyone agreed that "hours of work" meant our current start times, but all they have to say is that drivers are getting their 8, 9, 10, hours etc. as normal so normal hours of work. And with my local they will not fight something like that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
"Highest standards" is subjective. What one side says it is may not be what the other side interprets!

Every supplement has a Maintenance of Standards article.

Being that it's been in existence for over 40 years.... it's hardly open to interpretation.

I can't think of any contract in my Local that doesn't have one.

As for the start times. Start times have been moved back another 10 mins the past few weeks. Contract is voted on and they move them 55 mins back. That is less than an hour. Driver start times are suddenly 5 mins before 10 am.

Again.... that's where Article 40 comes in to play.

If a regular pkg car driver can perform the work, it goes to the regular pkg car driver.

Once we vote yes do you think we can say, "ops, our bad, didn't want that so lets redo or you change?"

I haven't posted once, how I think people should vote.

What I have said.... wait until the entirety of the language comes out.

Go to your Locals contract review of the language. Then make an educated decision.

There are so many "doom and gloom" scenarios being played out right now.

-Bug-

F

Frankie's Friend

BS, I have been with the company for close to 2 decades and not once was OT ever a consideration in anything they did. NOT ONCE! The company wanted a cheaper labor force and Dennis said here, "let me bend over for you!"
Why do you suppose they replaced S O'Brien?
This is the result.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I understand what you are saying with the people doing your job for less an hour. Here is my question. Do you really think UPS will ever actually take your overtime away, as a package car driver?
Mine personally? No, I work too slow and don’t do enough stops. Lol.
I guess what I’m trying to say is there’s a fine line between overtime and “excessive” overtime. I’ve never heard of a driver complaining about a 95 today. But usually I hear the complaints when they punch out at 9:30 PM.

F

Frankie's Friend

Sad part is, they hang intent sheets for double shifting and 3/4 of the people

don't show up for the second shift. Guess what happens ? Supes working....
People always show up here but it's not a hub setting.

The management here just pays out supes working issues if there's a true violation. The center manager is tired of getting lectured in front of the steward during hearings when its reduced to writing so he just adds it to the affected employees pay for the week.

Heck, we file on "improperly staffed" issues if the vacancies become chronic...and it seems it's always fricking chronic.

Then we get paid for supes working.