Today's USA Inflation Numbers !!!

vantexan

Then spend it on infrastructure- period; nothing else. It's all the other pork that makes it get stupid.
But if you restrict the pork there's no skimming off the top. There's no rewarding special interest groups like teachers unions who kick a lot of it back in campaign contributions. There's no getting lobbyists special deals that result in hiring a Congressman's "consulting" firm for big bucks. Just what kind of a crazy world are you pushing for fella?

bbsam

Staff member
Except their infrastructure bill had only a small percentage earmarked for actual infrastructure. We don't need a $6 trillion pork laden budget. And spending vast sums of money we don't have won't create a sustainable economy.
No. A lot of it may not be “infrastructure” but all of it ultimately makes sense. High speed internet isn’t pork. 21st century electric grid isn’t pork. Education isn’t pork. Roads and bridges is 19th century stuff that remains important but there’s more to it now.

bbsam

Staff member
Then spend it on infrastructure- period; nothing else. It's all the other pork that makes it get stupid.
Who benefits from that spending? Ultimately it the US economy and business.

There’s a lot more to infrastructure than roads and bridges. Ask Microsoft, Amazon, UPS, FedEx, Wall Street and Walmart.

vantexan

No. A lot of it may not be “infrastructure” but all of it ultimately makes sense. High speed internet isn’t pork. 21st century electric grid isn’t pork. Education isn’t pork. Roads and bridges is 19th century stuff that remains important but there’s more to it now.
Then don't call it an infrastructure bill and don't waste money rewarding supporters at the expense of everyone else. Spending huge amounts of money, and raising taxes, is nothing more than a transfer of wealth that eventually will hurt all of us. Don't kid yourself that tax increases will only affect the wealthy.

vantexan

There’s a lot more to infrastructure than roads and bridges. Ask Microsoft, Amazon, UPS, FedEx, Wall Street and Walmart.
OK, we're in unprecedented territory with $6 Trillion but since Democrats did end poverty, eliminated prisons, fixed schools, and kept us out of wars in the past with their spending I can hardly wait to see the utopia we'll get from their great progressive vision.

bbsam

Staff member
OK, we're in unprecedented territory with $6 Trillion but since Democrats did end poverty, eliminated prisons, fixed schools, and kept us out of wars in the past with their spending I can hardly wait to see the utopia we'll get from their great progressive vision.
Who’s looking for utopia? Are you saying that nothing can get better unless we go backward? Is that your American exceptionalism?

upsgrunt

So when you get a new vehicle, do you also replace the driveway and garage? I mean, it benefits the economy even if you don't really need it and can't afford it, right?

bbsam

Staff member
Then don't call it an infrastructure bill and don't waste money rewarding supporters at the expense of everyone else. Spending huge amounts of money, and raising taxes, is nothing more than a transfer of wealth that eventually will hurt all of us. Don't kid yourself that tax increases will only affect the wealthy.
What about those things do you not see as infrastructure? What do you think internet security is? How do you think banking is done in 2021?

bbsam

Staff member
So when you get a new vehicle, do you also replace the driveway and garage? I mean, it benefits the economy even if you don't really need it and can't afford it, right?
Don’t really need it? I guess I’d disagree with that assessment. I’d say we need an overhaul in just about everything.

vantexan

Who’s looking for utopia? Are you saying that nothing can get better unless we go backward? Is that your American exceptionalism?
Is there a point where even you will say that they are spending too much money, or will you always support everything Democrats do without question?

bbsam

Staff member
Is there a point where even you will say that they are spending too much money, or will you always support everything Democrats do without question?
At this point, no. I see no point in pretending that any party is going to be fiscally responsible. There’s no turning back and nobody really wants to. Everybody just wants their own priorities to take precedence.

And don’t kid yourself. Tax cut after tax cut after tax cut is no different.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
About 9000 jobs. And now the government wants to invest heavily in infrastructure with trillions in spending and lord knows how many jobs. Who’s standing in the way?
Democrats that filled the proposal with trillions of dollars of pork that has nothing to do with infrastructure.

bacha29

There are pipelines all over the country. The problem is fossil fuel foes don't want another large source developed, don't want lower prices from the wide availability of oil sources. While the world's biggest polluter continues to put coal fired electricity plants online we shoot ourselves in the foot by not being energy independent. Closing down Keystone isn't going to save the planet, but it, and restricting new drilling on Federal land, is going to hurt a lot of poor people who have to pay the same price per gallon as a billionaire does.
Wait. In your mind's eye big business and the extremely wealthy were going to eliminate poverty in this country. And BTW the extreme drought in the Western states is being blamed on climate change with credible experts to back it up.
Before his death I watched an interview with famed author Gore Vidal. He said something I never forget. "America was build with two components ,cheap energy and cheap labor and they will eventually come to an end.
So if cheap but dirty energy is what you want perhaps India or Beijing are two places you might want to consider moving to next . Some of the worst air quality in the world.... but hey the energy's cheap.

bbsam

Staff member
It's always easy to spend money that isn't yours.
I’ve been saying that about the older generations for quite some time now. We haven’t been “paying as we go”. So yeah, you’re right and I will also point out to you that “It’s always easy to spend money that isn’t yours.”

Go on. Pretend to be fiscally conservative and responsible. It’s good for a laugh.

vantexan

What about those things do you not see as infrastructure? What do you think internet security is? How do you think banking is done in 2021?
Government should worry about government internet security, and private entities should address their own security. We shouldn't see the government as the answer to everything. Came out yesterday in a text message the AG of Michigan discussed with others grabbing a restaurant owner before she could come on Tucker Carlson's show and criticize Michigan's lockdown. A week after her appearance she was arrested. This is the kind of stuff we'll get with an ever more powerful government that we turn over more and more control to.

vantexan

Wait. In your mind's eye big business and the extremely wealthy were going to eliminate poverty in this country. And BTW the extreme drought in the Western states is being blamed on climate change with credible experts to back it up.
Before his death I watched an interview with famed author Gore Vidal. He said something I never forget. "America was build with two components ,cheap energy and cheap labor and they will eventually come to an end.
So if cheap but dirty energy is what you want perhaps India or Beijing are two places you might want to consider moving to next . Some of the worst air quality in the world.... but hey the energy's cheap.
We've gone to great lengths to clean up our environmental issues. We're hardly going to turn into China and India. And I've never said Big Business and the wealthy are going to eliminate poverty. I've said that they're the source of employment. If people want to climb out of poverty they need good jobs, they need education. Not going to happen if you put an anchor around the necks of the wealthy. As always it comes down to envy.

vantexan

At this point, no. I see no point in pretending that any party is going to be fiscally responsible. There’s no turning back and nobody really wants to. Everybody just wants their own priorities to take precedence.

And don’t kid yourself. Tax cut after tax cut after tax cut is no different.
We weren't seeing $6 Trillion spending bills before now. It's irresponsible and soon we'll all pay for it. If I'm wrong great. And I hope I am.

upsgrunt

I’ve been saying that about the older generations for quite some time now. We haven’t been “paying as we go”. So yeah, you’re right and I will also point out to you that “It’s always easy to spend money that isn’t yours.”

Go on. Pretend to be fiscally conservative and responsible. It’s good for a laugh.

There's no even having a conversation with you without your superiority complex kicking in. If you weren't a Christian, I'd disagree with everything you represent.
Have a great day.

bbsam

Staff member
Government should worry about government internet security, and private entities should address their own security. We shouldn't see the government as the answer to everything. Came out yesterday in a text message the AG of Michigan discussed with others grabbing a restaurant owner before she could come on Tucker Carlson's show and criticize Michigan's lockdown. A week after her appearance she was arrested. This is the kind of stuff we'll get with an ever more powerful government that we turn over more and more control to.
The government does business with private enterprise. Guess how a hacker gets into sensitive government files in your scenario.