Ups has a plan in place to replace us if we end up striking.

F

Frankie's Friend

Sir,
Dont assume you know me or my compliance to the contract. I ask the question because it seems foreign to me as the environment I work in is overwhelmingly positive.

Dont lump me in with others and I wont do the same to you.
You "work" there but dont know the issues. Sure

CanOSup

One of them
You "work" there but dont know the issues. Sure

"work" in quotes. Possible an attack on my work ethic/Character without knowing me, and again you are assuming your issues are at my location.

Its a large world and large company. Quite possibly not everyone is experiencing your issues and your hatred.

CanOSup

One of them
It's easy to be "overwhelmingly positive" when you have all the control but none of the responsibility and the drivers have all the responsibility but none of the control.

Google "double bind stress"...it's the "damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario" that drivers seem overwhelming subjected to. BTW, it has been shown to cause anxiety and depression.

I was refering to the drivers attitudes. Apparently I manage the happiest workforce in the company and for that I am grateful.

F

Frankie's Friend

"work" in quotes. Possible an attack on my work ethic/Character without knowing me, and again you are assuming your issues are at my location.

Its a large world and large company. Quite possibly not everyone is experiencing your issues and your hatred.
Or your trolling.
You must be from USNY? Or a tiny tiny facility.
Ask your boss or labor mgr what the issues are. Im sure they know.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
The correct name was Roadway Package System. Remember it well, was a P & D contractor for them in MO during the 97 strike. RPS started in the spring of 1985 on the East Coast. They achieved continental coverage of the USA by spring of 1996. Before the 1997 strike, RPS told all of their customers that a 10 to 15 percent increase in package volume was all the system could absorb if UPS did strike. Federal Express did not have a ground network at the time, the station next to us had a cube van for line haul, their couriers drove 1/2 ton cargo vans and small pickup trucks with special built toppers. If you wanted to see something funny, watch a courier try to deliver a package weighing more than 20 lbs. As to your comment about strike era UPS drivers not being around now, it was RPS contractors who took the biggest hit. After the 1997 merger between Fed Ex and Caliber Systems (RPS' parent company-which was the old Roadway Services less Roadway Express) Fed Ex Ground changed from the P & D contractor concept, where only veteran drivers could have a max of 3 routes, although I knew of a brown nosing P & D-er who had 4 routes at another MO terminal; to an ISP (individual service provider) set up where ISP' people can have 12 to 15 routes. So a lot of single route P & D ers had their routes taken away. As to the comment about disproportionate loading of your package cars, I once knew one of your preloaders who told me that if they had a heavy shipment going on a female drivers package car, that they were told to remove it and put it on the nearest pc male driver's route. PVD was a failure, you need to get that removed from your next contract.
The correct name was Roadway Package System. Remember it well, was a P & D contractor for them in MO during the 97 strike. RPS started in the spring of 1985 on the East Coast. They achieved continental coverage of the USA by spring of 1996. Before the 1997 strike, RPS told all of their customers that a 10 to 15 percent increase in package volume was all the system could absorb if UPS did strike. Federal Express did not have a ground network at the time, the station next to us had a cube van for line haul, their couriers drove 1/2 ton cargo vans and small pickup trucks with special built toppers. If you wanted to see something funny, watch a courier try to deliver a package weighing more than 20 lbs. As to your comment about strike era UPS drivers not being around now, it was RPS contractors who took the biggest hit. After the 1997 merger between Fed Ex and Caliber Systems (RPS' parent company-which was the old Roadway Services less Roadway Express) Fed Ex Ground changed from the P & D contractor concept, where only veteran drivers could have a max of 3 routes, although I knew of a brown nosing P & D-er who had 4 routes at another MO terminal; to an ISP (individual service provider) set up where ISP' people can have 12 to 15 routes. So a lot of single route P & D ers had their routes taken away. As to the comment about disproportionate loading of your package cars, I once knew one of your preloaders who told me that if they had a heavy shipment going on a female drivers package car, that they were told to remove it and put it on the nearest pc male driver's route. PVD was a failure, you need to get that removed from your next contract.
"Operation Brown Out", BC removed my ability to leave you a 'like', very informative message(s).

Welcome.

CanOSup

One of them
Or your trolling.
You must be from USNY? Or a tiny tiny facility.
Ask your boss or labor mgr what the issues are. Im sure they know.

Not trolling.
My facility is unimportant to the conversation.
The only issues I will speak to my boss about are the ones in my control. No need to worry about yours as you clearly despise me and do not know me. It must be a wonderful existence you live, constant state of anger and aggression. I will go on about my day happily, because I can control that.

CanOSup

One of them
So was I.
You missed my point completely but that's OK.

"Cause" meet "effect". At some point these two conjoin and produce bad attitudes.

I'm sorry if I confused you.

Not confused, I do not agree with your claim. All of the control and none of the responsibility. I do not drive the package cars, make the deliveries, load the packages etc. How are you claiming I have all the control?

Responsibility? 90% of the mistakes or errors made by the drivers I answer for and do not involve them? Why? Because they are humans and make mistakes...Ill take the occasional "Harassment" from those above me even though I did not cause the issue. How are they responsible in said scenario. Why shouldnt they have some responsibility. What controls are they lacking when they perform ALL of the job function?

Google Generalization. Many of you are very good at it here.

Not confused, I do not agree with your claim. All of the control and none of the responsibility. I do not drive the package cars, make the deliveries, load the packages etc. How are you claiming I have all the control?

Responsibility? 90% of the mistakes or errors made by the drivers I answer for and do not involve them? Why? Because they are humans and make mistakes...Ill take the occasional "Harassment" from those above me even though I did not cause the issue. How are they responsible in said scenario. Why shouldnt they have some responsibility. What controls are they lacking when they perform ALL of the job function?

Google Generalization. Many of you are very good at it here.
What i think she is saying, mgmt ALWAYS has The luxury of hindsight. Drivers do not. In many cases an accident investigation comes back avoidable. Because a driver should have made a decision that was unsafe.

CanOSup

One of them
What i think she is saying, mgmt ALWAYS has The luxury of hindsight. Drivers do not. In many cases an accident investigation comes back avoidable. Because a driver should have made a decision that was unsafe.
That last statement is interesting. Should have made an unsafe action to avoid a crash. This is only looking at it through one point of view. Who has responsibility for most accidents? The people behind the wheel or the one behind the computer? Ill tell you this much, Management gets "Harassed" just as much for an accident they had no control over. The Double-Bind goes both ways.

siouxman

siouxman
I
@RonBurgandy?????????? As a retired Teamster is makes me sick to see how weak the Union is now. Most of the members don't even know what the contract says.
Most don't enforce it.
Most swallow whatever :censored2: UPS feeds them.
The Union is weak and a shadow of what it once was.
I attend union meeting try stay informed and voice my opion.You may disagree with my option but it is no reason to try and force your view if we don't agree I have changed my option on certain matters but that's the beauty of expressing an opinion .

F

Frankie's Friend

At a recent safety meeting the center manager told us that all accidents are deemed avoidable until proven otherwise.
I'm sure that enhances the Bliss in Campbell soup's building.

F

Frankie's Friend

at about the same rate as hourlies

i guess people are just no damn good
Except that you are conveniently hiding the fact that article 17 section a. fires hourly for dishonesty but does nothing to remove dishonest management.

CanOSup

One of them
At a recent safety meeting the center manager told us that all accidents are deemed avoidable until proven otherwise.

Generalizing again. That meeting happened in location A, thus it is also at location B and C.

Last edited:

CanOSup

One of them
at about the same rate as hourlies

i guess people are just no damn good
Except that you are conveniently hiding the fact that article 17 section a. fires hourly for dishonesty but does nothing to remove dishonest management.

Thank you for pointing out one of the cardinal sins you could be terminated for. Thank you for also pointing out the absence of any protection for management. We can be fired for any reason at any time, especially integrity violations

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Interests me that you know so much of the history of Roadway Package. I would guess 50% of the UPSer's don't know the year UPS was founded. Did you sell your routes and move on somewhere. I see you were a PVD for UPS.

Did you know Fred started up in little aviation company and couldn't get a loan to buy plane fuel and his company was set to go bust so he took the last $5,000 the company had and jumped on his plane to Vegas and bet it? Ha!

He won $27,000 and Federal Express was officially created in 1973, on the NYSE by 1977 & tracking shipments by 1979. Real interesting story, like yours. :)

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
i heard from a supervisor that ups has plans to replace us ,if we end up striking.i kind of laughed it off, like good luck with that.but i was curious if anyone has heard anything about their so called plan?
Don't lose any sleep over hearing that. You really have no control what will happen 7/31.

The company is right when they say there needs to be some flexibility. Both sides will need to realize that.

Now the language of no deliveries after 9pm throughout the entire year. That is just the right way of running a delivery company. A part-time significant raise after 1-year of service. Agreed.

I believe where the company stepped back was loving their dog/pet. Your pet sits, rolls over, bounces on love and fetches with training. You love your pet and he/she loves you.

You can see it from every other post here. The love, the loyalty, the respect is rapidly evaporating.

UPS also needs to start spending. Planes, Semis, Technology costs billions and yes, that is #1 priority. However, in my opinion they need to take that cash and venture out. Look outside the UPS box. Even my user name would be the perfect acquisition from a health care standpoint. Anybody can build trackers. UPS doesn't have to be an incubator on startups but they really should expand their portfolio on established innovative companies.

UPS is too 'Old School'. So prepare for some change. It's bound to be around the corner but you can only keep doing a great job and not worry about it.