Ups has a plan in place to replace us if we end up striking.

How Now Brown Cow

Umm, have you ever worked preload? If we all start at the same time, how is guy supposed to load packages at the same pace when drivers all have their start time? I'm not trying to destroy seniority pay. Again, I'm talking about preloaders, most of whom are under 25. Why can't the small percentage of guys who are working 25% harder than the rest just get .25 to .50 cent more an hour? We have in our building already a so-called skilled work pay which you .75 cents more when you can load 3 trucks.

In my own experience, I had days where I was loading 4 trucks. Sometimes 400 more pieces than the guy next to me. During peak one year, I loaded over 1600 packages one day, and the guy next to me had just over 900 hundred.

I just think those loaders that work hard, and perform well consistently should get a raise. The better one of them does their job, the easier it should be for drivers, and therefore the company would perform better and more efficiently.

You're fighting for the wrong thing. Instead of asking them to pay a little more to the people they are screwing, have them stop screwing people and hire more people to lessen the load to something more reasonable.

RPSman

Does anyone remember RPS package delivery?the creation of this company may have been a direct result of our last strike.look where it is today
The correct name was Roadway Package System. Remember it well, was a P & D contractor for them in MO during the 97 strike. RPS started in the spring of 1985 on the East Coast. They achieved continental coverage of the USA by spring of 1996. Before the 1997 strike, RPS told all of their customers that a 10 to 15 percent increase in package volume was all the system could absorb if UPS did strike. Federal Express did not have a ground network at the time, the station next to us had a cube van for line haul, their couriers drove 1/2 ton cargo vans and small pickup trucks with special built toppers. If you wanted to see something funny, watch a courier try to deliver a package weighing more than 20 lbs. As to your comment about strike era UPS drivers not being around now, it was RPS contractors who took the biggest hit. After the 1997 merger between Fed Ex and Caliber Systems (RPS' parent company-which was the old Roadway Services less Roadway Express) Fed Ex Ground changed from the P & D contractor concept, where only veteran drivers could have a max of 3 routes, although I knew of a brown nosing P & D-er who had 4 routes at another MO terminal; to an ISP (individual service provider) set up where ISP' people can have 12 to 15 routes. So a lot of single route P & D ers had their routes taken away. As to the comment about disproportionate loading of your package cars, I once knew one of your preloaders who told me that if they had a heavy shipment going on a female drivers package car, that they were told to remove it and put it on the nearest pc male driver's route. PVD was a failure, you need to get that removed from your next contract.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The correct name was Roadway Package System. Remember it well, was a P & D contractor for them in MO during the 97 strike. RPS started in the spring of 1985 on the East Coast. They achieved continental coverage of the USA by spring of 1996. Before the 1997 strike, RPS told all of their customers that a 10 to 15 percent increase in package volume was all the system could absorb if UPS did strike. Federal Express did not have a ground network at the time, the station next to us had a cube van for line haul, their couriers drove 1/2 ton cargo vans and small pickup trucks with special built toppers. If you wanted to see something funny, watch a courier try to deliver a package weighing more than 20 lbs. As to your comment about strike era UPS drivers not being around now, it was RPS contractors who took the biggest hit. After the 1997 merger between Fed Ex and Caliber Systems (RPS' parent company-which was the old Roadway Services less Roadway Express) Fed Ex Ground changed from the P & D contractor concept, where only veteran drivers could have a max of 3 routes, although I knew of a brown nosing P & D-er who had 4 routes at another MO terminal; to an ISP (individual service provider) set up where ISP' people can have 12 to 15 routes. So a lot of single route P & D ers had their routes taken away. As to the comment about disproportionate loading of your package cars, I once knew one of your preloaders who told me that if they had a heavy shipment going on a female drivers package car, that they were told to remove it and put it on the nearest pc male driver's route. PVD was a failure, you need to get that removed from your next contract.
680BCF44-0536-408B-A9F7-17CDBC254E5E.gif

siouxman

siouxman
Part timers do need a raise and I think UPS knows this and it will happen. The problem is the part timers don't vote and many of the full timers don't vote either so if you want your voice heard vote

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Part timers do need a raise and I think UPS knows this and it will happen. The problem is the part timers don't vote and many of the full timers don't vote either so if you want your voice heard vote
the voter turnout in the last contract was horrendous.

you would think in this day and age they would figure a way for members to vote thru their phones. ( i'm not tech savvy )

F

Frankie's Friend

Fdx bought American and Viking Freight companies. Did they buy Panther? Caliber Logistics was a good move for them but American Freight was top notch. Fdx had amassed much LTL way before the strike and serviced many large companies (like Ford) in the warehouse/logistics realm. You would be surprised what trucking companies they own.

RPSman

Fdx bought American and Viking Freight companies. Did they buy Panther? Caliber Logistics was a good move for them but American Freight was top notch. Fdx had amassed much LTL way before the strike and serviced many large companies (like Ford) in the warehouse/logistics realm. You would be surprised what trucking companies they own.
Viking came with the purchase of Caliber, they were the only part of the Roadway Regional LTL group that survived the Roadway Express spinoff. Central Express was sold back to its original Texas owners and Coles and Spartan closed down. They did not buy Panther, they got an expedited carrier in the Caliber package, Roberts Express, now known as Fed Ex Custom Critical. The acquisition of American came after the Caliber deal, American approached FDX wanting to buy Viking to fill in the only missing part of their service area, the West Coast. Instead FDX bought American, and soon after, Watkins Motor Freight, who was operated separately as Fed Ex National LTL before being dovetailed into Fed Ex Freight. I do not deny that Fed Ex might have had LTL operations in bigger airports and logistics centers, but having pulled air freight out of Air Cargo row at Lambert International in St Louis, I know they didn't have anything there or in my part of MO. As there used to be a Ford plant in Hazelwood, they could have had a small "back ramp" operation for them. It has just been in the last 5 years that we have even seen the Fed Ex Multi Modal trailers in our part of MO.

BUCN85

So what are the proposals that have many of you drivers already saying to vote no and strike ? This hasn't been answered

rod

Retired 23 years

UPS knows it but they sure as hell aren't going to give them a raise out of the kindness of their heart. It will have to be fought for just like everything else.

PT Car Washer

UPS knows it but they sure as hell aren't going to give them a raise out of the kindness of their heart. It will have to be fought for just like everything else.
Not out of the goodness of their heart but out of basic survival at this point. UPS is already paying PT sups $15/hr to perform bargaining members work so they really have no choice but to raise the starting wage. It would really give the company some leverage when it comes to who to keep and not keep. Right now they will hire and keep anyone with a pulse including PT sups.

F

Frankie's Friend

Viking came with the purchase of Caliber, they were the only part of the Roadway Regional LTL group that survived the Roadway Express spinoff. Central Express was sold back to its original Texas owners and Coles and Spartan closed down. They did not buy Panther, they got an expedited carrier in the Caliber package, Roberts Express, now known as Fed Ex Custom Critical. The acquisition of American came after the Caliber deal, American approached FDX wanting to buy Viking to fill in the only missing part of their service area, the West Coast. Instead FDX bought American, and soon after, Watkins Motor Freight, who was operated separately as Fed Ex National LTL before being dovetailed into Fed Ex Freight. I do not deny that Fed Ex might have had LTL operations in bigger airports and logistics centers, but having pulled air freight out of Air Cargo row at Lambert International in St Louis, I know they didn't have anything there or in my part of MO. As there used to be a Ford plant in Hazelwood, they could have had a small "back ramp" operation for them. It has just been in the last 5 years that we have even seen the Fed Ex Multi Modal trailers in our part of MO.
Thx. Roberts Express was the missing carrier i was searching for. Very informative.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I've always got the feeling that the majority of part timers don't care about what happens. It's just a way station for most to pay for college or a go between for another career.

UPS counts on this .