UPS hasn't bought any new pkg cars this year, avoiding promised AC.

10:30 resi

AC was nothing more than language that was dangled in front of the more naive members in order to get them to vote yes. You can bet UPS won't actually follow through any time soon. Maybe when (if) all the younger drivers start holding them to the language. But I doubt that. Not many of the more "seasoned" drivers will complain. Because the idea of having AC in most of these trucks is a flipping joke. But either way....I doubt there will be much traction on this. We can't even get members or many union reps to collectively fight for proper enforcement of the new 9.5 language! AC in the trucks? Yawn......
Doubt there are many people that voted based on wether on not we got A/C. Most are indifferent. More likely a PR stunt. Can't tell you how many people have come up to me on route asking how I like having A/C now cause they saw it in the news back in August

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
Thanks Dave
You're welcome princess.
Doubt there are many people that voted based on wether on not we got A/C. Most are indifferent. More likely a PR stunt. Can't tell you how many people have come up to me on route asking how I like having A/C now cause they saw it in the news back in August
You'd be surprised. Many of our youngsters couldn't stop talking about it. They voted yes for two reasons. AC and raises. The ignorance and naivety among them is off putting. There were a couple of "seniority" drivers that were really into the idea too though. All on the portly side. :happy-very:

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

Makes me a lot of money
MapNav + ORION + 9.5 List = More money or Less stops without a paycut Its great.
I use to laugh at the panic in the youngsters when EDD would go down and we had to do it old school.
They panic now when there's no navigation. I've seen youngsters transfer bricked out 800s into smaller rentals during peak because the 800s didn't have cradles and the rentals did. HA!

Last edited:

Pullman Brown

MapNav + ORION + 9.5 List = More money or Less stops without a paycut Its great.

They panic now when there's no navigation. I've seen youngsters transfer bricked out 800s into smaller rentals during peak because the 800s didn't have cradles and the rentals did. HA!
In this whole discussion of old timers vs newbies what can’t be forgotten is technology has made the job easier in some regards for a new generation and the old timers need to remember that with the technology innovation has come higher expectations for productivity and efficiency etc.. Overall, the younger generation has to realize that skills have been lost and toughness and manliness has been lost. Good virtues that need to be recovered and that EVERY generation of men should emulate!!

Brownwind

Here we go...

Somewhat surprising that country wide, not one new pkg car has been added all year. However, also believable because we've seen more cuts this year than in a long time due to lost volume. Also follows the fact that UPS bought a ton of new ones through the pandemic when volume shot up.

Seems like the union is expecting UPS to just replace vehicles with plenty of service life left just to fulfill the AC agreement. That's not how this works. The fleet is younger than I've ever seen and I was expecting to wait 10 years to see AC commonplace.
No worries. At least i got fans in my package car and the tractors we use have a/c. We never had any of these provisions earlier in our careers so at least we are making it better for the ones that follow us.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

In this whole discussion of old timers vs newbies what can’t be forgotten is technology has made the job easier in some regards for a new generation and the old timers need to remember that with the technology innovation has come higher expectations for productivity and efficiency etc.. Overall, the younger generation has to realize that skills have been lost and toughness and manliness has been lost. Good virtues that need to be recovered and that EVERY generation of men should emulate!!
This company needs to bring back the basics and customer service before it's too late. We're slowly dipping towards FedEx Ground, Amazon (who are getting better), DHL, and USPS levels of service. That is a direct result of youngsters, and few OGs too, feeling that pressure to "perform" due to the new technology based standards.

If anything.....drivers need to be reminded of our contract and how to use it to protect themselves. New technology doesn't mean speed up and screw things up. And definitely doesn't mean fall out from heat exhaustion.

Pullman Brown

This company needs to bring back the basics and customer service before it's too late. We're slowly dipping towards FedEx Ground, Amazon (who are getting better), DHL, and USPS levels of service. That is a direct result of youngsters, and few OGs too, feeling that pressure to "perform" due to the new technology based standards.

If anything.....drivers need to be reminded of our contract and how to use it to protect themselves. New technology doesn't mean speed up and screw things up. And definitely doesn't mean fall out from heat exhaustion.
As long as we have the best OVERALL service percentage which we have had for a while I think, it is business as usual! Personal experience be damned!

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

As long as we have the best OVERALL service percentage which we have had for a while I think, it is business as usual! Personal experience be damned!
Customers have noticed the diminishing levels of service. Rural deferment. Packages in driveways and in mailboxes. Rolled volume due to “weather” in perfect conditions. Missed stops. Rude zombie like automaton drivers with earbuds blasting and “no time” to drink water or go to the restroom. All of this has increased under Tome. Was already getting bad. But much worse with her.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Customers have noticed the diminishing levels of service. Rural deferment. Packages in driveways and in mailboxes. Rolled volume due to “weather” in perfect conditions. Missed stops. Rude zombie like automaton drivers with earbuds blasting and “no time” to drink water or go to the restroom. All of this has increased under Tome. Was already getting bad. But much worse with her.
Plus they look like hobos.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've been driving these trucks since 2000. It's definitely hotter now and more taxing with the work load and rising temperatures. More needs to be done, this company will only do what it absolutely has to do, and it will try to get out of that if it can.
My experience with UPS was the management was corrupt.

pkgdriver

In long pants, no power steering,on paper,knowing when to change clipboards because you're in a new area,peeling off air labels and writing names on them, progressive COD turn in,keeping track of $5000 in cash oh and driving a stick? Please.
Plenty of bottled water back then also. Cases of it perhaps.✊

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
I think that if you are in a remote area where there is not a building with air conditioning open to the public near you, being able to idle the package car and take a cool-down break in the A/C when you begin experiencing symptoms of heat illness could prevent the situation from getting out of control.
This is the most reasonable response to this issue I've heard yet.