What are you listening to? Part 6

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
just finished the book by Bill Wyman "Stone Alone"

man, Bill kept meticulous records while a Rolling Stone. critics say Exile on Main Street is their best album so have been listening to it the last couple days. Their early stuff was raw and a little primitive but boy did it get your feet tapping.

not sure what my favorite album is. I really like Sticky Fingers . Hot Rocks is great but that is a compilation double album.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It does,Beautiful music, simply great stuff. Did you catch the big girl stirring batter in a bowl, what an honor to be at that session, was that Ray Charles lighting a cigarette?
No . don't think that was Ray. I seen Ray Charles at Caesars in South Lake Tahoe years ago. It was like a glimpse of what heaven is going to be like. It's no longer Caesars .

Never seen Leon Russell in concert. I didn't get into him until later in life. It's kind of nice "discovering" a tremendous talent when you get older. I love Ray Charles , Elmore James , Miles Davis ,Robert Johnson , BB King , and many others now that I did not look twice at in the 60's and 70's.

floridays

No . don't think that was Ray. I seen Ray Charles at Caesars in South Lake Tahoe years ago. It was like a glimpse of what heaven is going to be like. It's no longer Caesars .

Never seen Leon Russell in concert. I didn't get into him until later in life. It's kind of nice "discovering" a tremendous talent when you get older. I love Ray Charles , Elmore James , Miles Davis ,Robert Johnson , BB King , and many others now that I did not look twice at in the 60's and 70's.
I'll offer a suggestion to you, look for Bobby "Blue" Bland. Exceptional voice, beautiful in itself. I'll throw one up, I've played him here before.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
how about "Chances Are" .? Johnny Mathis , Nat King Cole

when I was growing up my Dad played all kinds of great's like this while he was painting or doing home repairs and I loved to hang around and help. grew up with Sinatra and Tony Bennett , and some of the great swing bands .

Then the British Invasion happened.......

floridays

how about "Chances Are" .? Johnny Mathis , Nat King Cole

when I was growing up my Dad played all kinds of great's like this while he was painting or doing home repairs and I loved to hang around and help. grew up with Sinatra and Tony Bennett , and some of the great swing bands .

Then the British Invasion happened.......
You obviously have great memories of childhood as well, I'm happy for you:thumbup1:.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
And Manback while we love a lot of the same music, 99.9 % of rap will not pass the test of time.
My opinion, is there agreement?

I’d guess the percentage is probably closer to forgettable music in other genres.

I don’t like zucchini. I wouldn’t say it was bad food or worse, not food at all just because it’s not my cup of tea.

Btw, the video was a brilliant black child playing guitar. Had absolutely nothing to do with hip hop yet, brother bug felt compelled to make us all aware that he didn’t consider rap music. Do you find that even a little bit odd?

floridays

I’d guess the percentage is probably closer to forgettable music in other genres.

I don’t like zucchini. I wouldn’t say it was bad food or worse, not food at all just because it’s not my cup of tea.

Btw, the video was a brilliant black child playing guitar. Had absolutely nothing to do with hip hop yet, brother bug felt compelled to make us all aware that he didn’t consider rap music. Do you find that even a little bit odd?
Actually no, I guess we fly in the same flock. I love old dre, and earlier stuff, older hip hop as well, for the most part I view current stuff as how nasty can we be, how can we offend more.
If I had a daughter, any punk like this wouldn't come within 10 feet of her in my presence and leave intact. I've got sons, they friend'd up just like their pop, but they were taught to be respectful, to females first.
Like I said, we disagree on a lot.
I will go further to refine my point, humor me.
The older songs, the top ones of the day will stand the test of time. In ten, probably 5 years the top songs of today will be a distant memory.
Just my opinion, based on many decades of listening.
I'll ask one question, not supposed to do it by training if I don't already have the answer, I'll wing it though. Do oldie or classic rap stations exist?
I do love me some old school music, dark style, I know they exist.

I'm gonna let a dre roll

good stuff

floridays

To further respond, I'd hardly call the man a black child, if the poster did, shame on him, if you did, shame on you.

I understood his meaning as blues will live on, I agree with that assessment even though it seems to have taken a backseat currently. Quite possibly rap is attempting to get in or be the new blues message, maybe I don't understand. The aggrieved message so to say.

Bluesmen generally sang of lost love or being cheated on by a female. Rap guys seem to demeanor all female flesh, just my observation. If rap does live on it will only be a snapshot of our decaying civil culture.
My opinion, exclusively, once again.