You tell em Donald

vantexan

Ok champ, you made the claim, so back it up with numbers
Show me where welfare has added 10 trillion in debt in the last 8 years.

Define waste....... you mean the military right?
Do you only see the military as wasteful? Every corner of the gov't that overspends should be audited, the waste eliminated, and the perpetrators held accountable up to and including loss of employment and imprisonment if fraud is involved.

bbsam

Staff member
So good you think it's your right to tell other how much they should give of their hard earned money to the gov't?
Simple math. If we run the debt up we either need to be taxed more or cut services. If we don't want services cut, then we need to pay and we.should be paying as we go. Nothing hard about that.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Do you only see the military as wasteful? Every corner of the gov't that overspends should be audited, the waste eliminated, and the perpetrators held accountable up to and including loss of employment and imprisonment if fraud is involved.
I'm just messing with you man. I know you don't actually care about the debt, you're just regurgitating the "waste" talking point you've been fed.

You won't suppot cuts to the military because at your core you're a big government guy who loves the spending. I hope this helps:
2016-budget-chart-discretionary.png

bbsam

Staff member
I'm saying two things: eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse while creating a much more robust economy that will generate much more income for the gov't. That'll allow the gov't to meet it's obligations and pay down the debt. Might not pay it off, but as is servicing our debt is taking an ever larger portion of our tax revenues. That makes it much more difficult to fund programs people like Bacha believe to be our fundamental right to have. Do you not want a gov't that's responsible and accountable?
Geez. Never heard any of this before...oh yeah, I have. I'm surprised so many people continue to buy into it.

vantexan

I'm just messing with you man. I know you don't actually care about the debt, you're just regurgitating the "waste" talking point you've been fed.

You won't suppot cuts to the military because at your core you're a big government guy who loves the spending. I hope this helps:
2016-budget-chart-discretionary.png
That's discretionary spending. Now show our actual budget and see that military spending is smaller than entitlement spending and if you look at our budget year over year you'll see that debt servicing is growing.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That's discretionary spending. Now show our actual budget and see that military spending is smaller than entitlement spending and if you look at our budget year over year you'll see that debt servicing is growing.
Ok let's look at mandatory spending.
2016-budget-chart-mandatory-spending.png

Like I said, military, social security, and entitlements including medicare. If you don't want to cut those three things then get out of the conversation about reducing our debt.

bbsam

Staff member
So you'd be ok with cutting SS by, say half, tomorrow?

vantexan

Geez. Never heard any of this before...oh yeah, I have. I'm surprised so many people continue to buy into it.
Yeah, why be responsible and eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse when so many are lining their pockets from it? And if a new president has the audacity to actually try to do something about it he'll be tarred and feathered and run out on a rail by the crooks' henchmen, also known as the liberal media.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yeah, why be responsible and eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse when so many are lining their pockets from it? And if a new president has the audacity to actually try to do so about it he'll be tarred and feathered and run out on a rail by the crooks' henchmen, also known as the liberal media.
Look at it this way.
A guy has $100,000 in credit card debt.
His solution is to switch from Starbucks coffee to McDonald's coffee.
That's the solution your proposing when you talk about waste and fraud.
The truth is in the numbers man.

vantexan

So you'd be ok with cutting SS by, say half, tomorrow?
Again, SS is a self sustaining program that isn't contributing to the national debt. It does however have systemic issues due to the baby boom generation and the lowest labor participation rate ever. Less workers, and poorly paid workers means less going into the SS system. If nothing is done to correct it then in 2032, current estimate, SS will only be able to pay about 75-78% of it's obligations. That can be sustained until about 2080 according to the SS website. How do we know they'll even pay that much? That's what they collect from payroll contributions and employer matching.

vantexan

Look at it this way.
A guy has $100,000 in credit card debt.
His solution is to switch from Starbucks coffee to McDonald's coffee.
That's the solution your proposing when you talk about waste and fraud.
The truth is in the numbers man.
Is your solution we should just keep running up the total because we can't do much about it anyways? No effort should be made to reduce spending?

bbsam

Staff member
Yeah, why be responsible and eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse when so many are lining their pockets from it? And if a new president has the audacity to actually try to do so about it he'll be tarred and feathered and run out on a rail by the crooks' henchmen, also known as the liberal media.
Been over this before. Waste fraud and abuse accounts for approximately $120,000,000,000 per year. That's a lot. The debt remaining is approximately $480,000,000,000.
1. Waste fraud and abuse savings, even if 100% eliminated doesn't come close to closing that ever widening gap.

2. Taxes are historically low. Wanna "Make America Great Again"? What were the tax rates in 1960?

3. Business in America is all about the quarterly Financials these days. Making America more business friendly won't mean a damn thing for the average worker.

bbsam

Staff member
Again, SS is a self sustaining program that isn't contributing to the national debt. It does however have systemic issues due to the baby boom generation and the lowest labor participation rate ever. Less workers, and poorly paid workers means less going into the SS system. If nothing is done to correct it then in 2032, current estimate, SS will only be able to pay about 75-78% of it's obligations. That can be sustained until about 2080 according to the SS website. How do we know they'll even pay that much? That's what they collect from payroll contributions and employer matching.
It is a tax. That tax can go to paying down the debt. You do want to pay down the debt, don't you?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Is your solution we should just keep running up the total because we can't do much about it anyways? No effort should be made to reduce spending?
It seems like that is your solution.
I said multiple times now we need to make cuts to the three biggest expenditures we have. Are you willing to accept cuts to the military or not?

vantexan

Been over this before. Waste fraud and abuse accounts for approximately $120,000,000,000 per year. That's a lot. The debt remaining is approximately $480,000,000,000.
1. Waste fraud and abuse savings, even if 100% eliminated doesn't come close to closing that ever widening gap.

2. Taxes are historically low. Wanna "Make America Great Again"? What were the tax rates in 1960?

3. Business in America is all about the quarterly Financials these days. Making America more business friendly won't mean a damn thing for the average worker.
We have a lot more debt than 480 billion. If we are to prevent a financial meltdown we'll need to make hard choices. And corporate taxes are the highest in the developed world. There's a reason trillions are parked overseas. JFK said, I've said before, that lowering taxes increases economic activity. And the resulting activity increases gov't revenue. Raising taxes stifles activity. We've seen plenty of that and have the debt to prove it.

vantexan

It is a tax. That tax can go to paying down the debt. You do want to pay down the debt, don't you?
So you are going to take away from seniors who depend on that to survive? I have no problem getting able bodied people off welfare roles and back to work, and I have no problem offering assistance to those who work who are at subsistence levels, but throwing grandma to the wolves doesn't sound like a very democratic thing to do.