Age ????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Joeboopup is in college. I want him to graduate with as little debt as possible.

...and that is a nice thing to do but is it really on us as parents to work beyond our projected retirement dates to make sure that our kids start their professional lives with as little debt as possible...?

My ex and I split their first year of college 50/50------we then split the remaining years 3 ways----we felt that this gave them some skin in the game. We both agreed that anything beyond their 4 years (grad school) was to be on their dime.

Student loans are still relatively cheap and there are still employers who will offer student loan assistance (payoff) upon hire.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
...and that is a nice thing to do but is it really on us as parents to work beyond our projected retirement dates to make sure that our kids start their professional lives with as little debt as possible...?

My ex and I split their first year of college 50/50------we then split the remaining years 3 ways----we felt that this gave them some skin in the game. We both agreed that anything beyond their 4 years (grad school) was to be on their dime.

Student loans are still relatively cheap and there are still employers who will offer student loan assistance (payoff) upon hire.
I know that student loans are easily available and cheap but if I can keep going for a few more years he will be able to start ahead of the game financially.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Had to make a snarky comment. Oh well.

Not snarky at all.

On the one hand you are trying to teach your son financial responsibility and on the other you are taking days off to go to a brewery and drink beer. Am I wrong?

Suze Orman is a strong advocate of students paying their own way through school. I personally found this advice to be a bit too tough, hence the 50/50 and 33/33/33 plan that I outlined above.

My daughter graduated with about $22K in student loan debt. She has paid it all off.

My son had about $18K before he tacked on the $55K that he spent for his MBA. He is working hard to pay his loans off.

To each his own----I know that I would never work a day longer than I had to just to make sure that my kids started their professional lives with as little debt as possible.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Not snarky at all.

On the one hand you are trying to teach your son financial responsibility and on the other you are taking days off to go to a brewery and drink beer. Am I wrong?

Suze Orman is a strong advocate of students paying their own way through school. I personally found this advice to be a bit too tough, hence the 50/50 and 33/33/33 plan that I outlined above.

My daughter graduated with about $22K in student loan debt. She has paid it all off.

My son had about $18K before he tacked on the $55K that he spent for his MBA. He is working hard to pay his loans off.

To each his own----I know that I would never work a day longer than I had to just to make sure that my kids started their professional lives with as little debt as possible.
Yes Upstate, you are wrong about my time off. Very rarely do I venture to a brewery on a day off. But you are correct in saying to each his own.