Another question for old timers

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
The Union has always like to hide. In my 30 years the Union only showed up at our center just before election time IF they had opposition and once they showed up to push their D.R.I.V.E. program. All together maybe 6 times. A couple times during the summer stayed at a local fancy resort 15 miles from our center to have a meeting and mostly to play golf but we never saw them. We knew this because one of our drivers wives worked at that resort and had access to what groups were in town for the week .

yeah that’s BS. My previous job was Union and these guys were always lurking. Find it weird not like that here.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Not back in 1982. The old timers sold them down the river.

That bonus money was actually Jim Casey’s going away gift to every employee at UPS, Part time, Full time, Union and non union. The company negotiators used it to get the dreaded two tier pay scale in place, at one point prior to that “82” contract every part timer was making close to a full time driver’s hourly rate.

oldngray

nowhere special
That bonus money was actually Jim Casey’s going away gift to every employee at UPS, Part time, Full time, Union and non union. The company negotiators used it to get that dreaded two tier pay scale in place, at one prior to the “82” contract every part timer was making close to a full time driver’s hourly rate.
Older PT'ers were red circled in at their previous higher rate.

542thruNthru

That bonus money was actually Jim Casey’s going away gift to every employee at UPS, Part time, Full time, Union and non union. The company negotiators used it to get the dreaded two tier pay scale in place, at one point prior to that “82” contract every part timer was making close to a full time driver’s hourly rate.
So Jim Casey friend'd the PTers of the past?

rod

Retired 23 years
Even back then PT outnumbered FT so don't blame FT for PT's losses. They could have out voted us but as usual didn't care about their future. 500 bucks (before taxes) meant more to them than maintaining their high wages. Sucks to be them. Snooze ya loose

oldngray

nowhere special
No .. he was dead at the time.💀 He just wanted to give something back to his employees, It was his last wishes and stated it in his Will...
He wanted to give a bonus as a parting gift but had nothing to do with the split wage rates. Some other pinhead at UPS had that bright idea.

oldngray

nowhere special
He WAS in IE then

hmm.png

oldupsman

Has ups management always been complete garbage ?
I'm really going to try and answer this honestly. In my 32 years in package I really only had one
center manager I truly hated, despised. Did I butt heads with others and sups throughout the years?
Sure. To me the big difference is at that time everybody came up through the ranks. Everyone had
been a driver before they went into management. So neither side could bull :censored2: each other.

And yeah, some guys got called into the office, some guys filed grievances, but overall once it was settled
it was over. We had a business to run. Again the difference is we are were really customer driven. Our product
was SERVICE. Every package every day. You didn't bring back 50 stops. The center manager ran HIS center.
You're overloaded, 2 more guys overloaded, add a trip. Now. This morning. It got done. There really was a sense
of teamwork because everybody came up through the ranks and everybody knew what it took to get the job done

So there was some mutual respect for the job. So when the center manager would come up to you and say what
happened yesterday and you said something about a certain road being blocked or a certain customer being an ass,
he could relate because there's a good chance he knew that road or customer. Good chance the center manager or
sup was a guy you worked with, even drove next too for a couple years. Hell one of my center managers started at UPS as
my loader. You knew the guy. You knew he wasn't a real prick.

That's all gone now. It's all numbers. There's no personal interaction. It really was a decent place to work.
Christmas Eve there was always a spread out. Somebody retire, there would be a catered breakfast for everybody.
Some Fridays there be doughnuts. So drivers, managers, sups, be standing there together eating, talking. And
we all knew each other because we had all worked together sometime or another.

I'm really going to try and answer this honestly. In my 32 years in package I really only had one
center manager I truly hated, despised. Did I butt heads with others and sups throughout the years?
Sure. To me the big difference is at that time everybody came up through the ranks. Everyone had
been a driver before they went into management. So neither side could bull * each other.

And yeah, some guys got called into the office, some guys filed grievances, but overall once it was settled
it was over. We had a business to run. Again the difference is we are were really customer driven. Our product
was SERVICE. Every package every day. You didn't bring back 50 stops. The center manager ran HIS center.
You're overloaded, 2 more guys overloaded, add a trip. Now. This morning. It got done. There really was a sense
of teamwork because everybody came up through the ranks and everybody knew what it took to get the job done

So there was some mutual respect for the job. So when the center manager would come up to you and say what
happened yesterday and you said something about a certain road being blocked or a certain customer being an ass,
he could relate because there's a good chance he knew that road or customer. Good chance the center manager or
sup was a guy you worked with, even drove next too for a couple years. Hell one of my center managers started at UPS as
my loader. You knew the guy. You knew he wasn't a real prick.

That's all gone now. It's all numbers. There's no personal interaction. It really was a decent place to work.
Christmas Eve there was always a spread out. Somebody retire, there would be a catered breakfast for everybody.
Some Fridays there be doughnuts. So drivers, managers, sups, be standing there together eating, talking. And
we all knew each other because we had all worked together sometime or another.
Well that's all gone now my friend

Not Rushin’

Has ups management always been complete garbage ?
It seems to me that they get into UPS and discover that it’s too hard. They feel trapped. They’re looking for a way to keep their job, so they go to the dark side. So many of them are failed hourly people who have nothing to offer.