guns

bbsam

Staff member
Show me the votes, sober. Show me how that policy goes anywhere. There are alot of democrats and almost no republicans who would never sign onto that. Unless Bloomberg is a republican. Can never really tell with him.

And I think if you step back and look at the situation you will see how rock solid the Second is. Maybe you are just too close to the situation.

bbsam

Staff member
I would have posted it, but I still don't know why. It was very, very good.
Gee, TOS didn't post something from the favorite source.....I wonder why?

Jon Stewart is standing up for the Tea Party by asking: what do you have to do at ABC to get fired? Apparently, falsely accusing someone of mass murder isn't it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Gun Sales in CO. are up 40%.

Gun Shooting instruction is also up....it's required for the conceal carry permits.

Some of the percentage increase in sales is due to people scooping up guns thinking they will be outlawed.

moreluck

golden ticket member
She also , in the past, wanted a statue of Michael Jackson erected in Washington......why not Joe too??

Via The Hill:
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) said late Monday that she would seek a meeting with the National Rifle Association (NRA) to see if there are any ways to find an agreement on how to prevent tragedies like the one last week in Colorado, where one shooter killed 12 and wounded nearly 60 others in a movie theater.

“I’m going to invite the National Rifle Association to one of my meetings,” she said on the House floor late Monday. “I want to sit down and talk to them about how we can work together.”
Jackson Lee said she hoped to understand whether the NRA could agree to new rules that would require retailers to notify authorities whenever one customer is buying excessive amounts of weapons or ammo, a reference to the Colorado shooter, who is now known to have bought thousands of rounds in preparation for the shooting.

“I want an explanation on why someone can buy 6,000 rounds of ammunition on an Internet without any oversight whatsoever,” she said. “Why is there no basis of giving notice?

“If they’d given notice to the local police, maybe someone would have knocked on the door and found out what was going on,” she said. “We can find a way to come together. This is not rocket science to determine why you’re getting 6,000 rounds.”

klein

Für Meno :)
Great Britain and Australia come immediately to mind.

There is actually an epidemic of home-invasion type robberies in England and Scotland. Gangs of youths armed with baseball or cricket bats will force their way into the homes of elderly people and rob them, secure in the knowledge that their victims are incapable of offering any resistance. Home invasion robberies are almost unheard of here in the States. Care to guess why?

Watched Piers Morgan yesterday - England had 39 murders in 2011, the US almost 9000 !
I don't know about you, but I rather get robbed then shot and robbed !

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
“I want an explanation on why someone can buy 6,000 rounds of ammunition on an Internet without any oversight whatsoever,” she said. “Why is there no basis of giving notice?

“If they’d given notice to the local police, maybe someone would have knocked on the door and found out what was going on,” she said. “We can find a way to come together. This is not rocket science to determine why you’re getting 6,000 rounds.”

Lets pretend that the police had been notified of this mans ammo purchases, and lets pretend they had knocked on the door to "find out what was going on."

What difference would it have made?

He had no criminal record. There is no law against buying ammo, either online or in person. He would have been under no legal obligation to speak with the police at all, and I highly doubt that he would have confessed his intentions ahead of time. If we assume a rate of one casualty per bullet fired, then he bought 6,000 rounds and only used about 80 of them. The other 5,920 rounds are pretty much irrelevant. I personally have about 4,000 rounds of ammo in my safe, I dont see what the big deal is about 6K. I stock up when its on sale.

What I am interested in hearing....is in whether or not this mans friends, associates or family members had any concerns about his mental health, and what resources, if any, were available to address those concerns. Take his guns and ammo away, and he could have simply rented a Uhaul truck and filled it up with diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate (ala Timothy McVeigh) and killed a lot more people for about the same $$ as he spent on his guns and ammo.

bbsam

Staff member
Lets pretend that the police had been notified of this mans ammo purchases, and lets pretend they had knocked on the door to "find out what was going on."

What difference would it have made?

He had no criminal record. There is no law against buying ammo, either online or in person. He would have been under no legal obligation to speak with the police at all, and I highly doubt that he would have confessed his intentions ahead of time. If we assume a rate of one casualty per bullet fired, then he bought 6,000 rounds and only used about 80 of them. The other 5,920 rounds are pretty much irrelevant. I personally have about 4,000 rounds of ammo in my safe, I dont see what the big deal is about 6K. I stock up when its on sale.

What I am interested in hearing....is in whether or not this mans friends, associates or family members had any concerns about his mental health, and what resources, if any, were available to address those concerns. Take his guns and ammo away, and he could have simply rented a Uhaul truck and filled it up with diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate (ala Timothy McVeigh) and killed a lot more people for about the same $$ as he spent on his guns and ammo.
Actually, coming from a farming community, I can assure you that an "outsider" purchasing that much ammonium nitrate would have set off all kinds of cow bells and dog whistles.

soberups

Actually, coming from a farming community, I can assure you that an "outsider" purchasing that much ammonium nitrate would have set off all kinds of cow bells and dog whistles.

We are talking about a man who spent months meticulously planning this attack, and had thousands of dollars to spend.

If he wanted to obtain ammonium nitrate without drawing attention to himself, he could have driven to every little podunk farm town in Colorado and Nebraska and bought the stuff one bag at a time. Ammonium Nitrate is also the reactive ingredient in those little "cold packs" that are in first aid kits, the kind where you break the inner pouch and shake the contents to make the bag cold. Diesel fuel can be bought at most gas stations. There are also many other methods of making explosives using easy to obtain chemicals and information that is available on the internet. Look at how he had his apartment booby trapped. This guy was a determined and methodical sociopath and no laws either on the books or proposed were going to stop him from killing.

klein

Yeah, to 1.6 or 1.7 homicides per 100.000 population, where does the US stand ?
over 20 per 100.000 pop or more ? More than 10 fold anyways.

According to the Piers Morgan Show the other day. A gun in the US is 22% times more likely to kill a family member, than a burglar/gangster entering a home and being shot by the gun/home owner.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yeah, to 1.6 or 1.7 homicides per 100.000 population, where does the US stand ?
over 20 per 100.000 pop or more ? More than 10 fold anyways.

According to the Piers Morgan Show the other day. A gun in the US is 22% times more likely to kill a family member, than a burglar/gangster entering a home and being shot by the gun/home owner.

Piers Morgan was one of the first to start crowing about gun control after the CO. shooting.......He's an ass and a Brit. and doesn't speak for Americans!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Actually, Canada did just relax their gun laws after 40 years, by doing away with the Long Gun Registry. I doubt this had anything to do with the crime rate, but it does prove one thing; I know more about Canadian gun laws than you do, and I dont even live there.

Go easy on him, he's been researching and buying Kodak stock.

klein

Actually, Canada did just relax their gun laws after 40 years, by doing away with the Long Gun Registry. I doubt this had anything to do with the crime rate, but it does prove one thing; I know more about Canadian gun laws than you do, and I dont even live there.

The long gun registry never was law !
It got scrapped before it was actually implemented, because of cost reasons of over $2 Billion for tax payers or more.

"After 40 years" ???? ! Oh well, fox propaganda is all you know.

soberups

Like I said before, that 1% you speak of is simple the John Wayne Syndrome at work. While you want that 1% chance to defend yourself, what percentage is left for the people around you while the shooter is shooting at YOU?

Sober, I dont want to fight with you, I agree that we disagree, I simply can look outside the box whereas you seem to try and neatly fit inside yours. In your scenario, as you attempt to defend yourself, others may be killed who may otherwise may not have had the shooters attention until you brought it upon them.

Peace

TOS

If I am sitting in the first couple of rows of that theater when the lunatic walks in wearing body armor and hosing people down with his AR-15, then I and everyone around me is probably screwed whether I have a gun on me or not.

However...your assertion that cowering on my knees and praying that I dont get shot will somehow "improve" the survival odds for those around me is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If I am sitting in the first couple of rows of that theater when the lunatic walks in wearing body armor and hosing people down with his AR-15, then I and everyone around me is probably screwed whether I have a gun on me or not.

However...your assertion that cowering on my knees and praying that I dont get shot will somehow "improve" the survival odds for those around me is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Obviously, you have not read many of his posts.