guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
sober, You have a number of strawman arguments that I won't address, but saying a Bushmaster .223 is not a high powered rifle contradicts Bushmaster's own description. The .223 is the NATO standard. There is plenty of stopping power and range in a AR-15.

Guns are made to kill. That is there only purpose.

The .223 cartridge is not legal to hunt deer with in Oregon, as well as in many other states, due to the fact that it fails to meet the minimum standards for deer hunting in terms of power or ballistic energy. By definition, it is not a "high powered rifle." The people who simply want to "ban high powered rifles" as an emotional response to these tragedies would in fact be banning conventional, commonplace deer and elk hunting cartridges such as the 30/30 or 30-06 that have been around for over 100 years and are more powerful than the .223.

Whats going on here is really simple. People are (understandably) reacting to these tragedies with emotion. They want to do something. They want to ban something. So they latch on to inaccurate, misleading, media-generated buzzwords such as "high powered assault rifles" as a matter of convenience, and make simple-minded calls to "ban them" when in fact (A) they dont know anything about guns (B) they are not capable of making rational distinctions between different types of weapons, and (C) they cannot comprehend the fact that the type of weapon used in the massacres had no bearing on the outcome of the massacres. A conventional hunting rifle and a couple of revolvers in Adam Lanzas posession would have resulted in the same outcome against a school full of children and unarmed teachers.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
soberups's arguments on gun control:

TMW2012-12-19colorKOS.png

soberups

Which one of these is really the "high powered assault rifle"?

Both of them are semi-automatic, meaning they fire one round every time the trigger is pulled. Both of them have detachable magazines. Both of them fire a cartridge that was originally developed for military use. Both of them are capable of penetrating conventional level IIIA body armor. However...

Only one of them is powerful enough to hunt deer and elk with, the other is not. One of them has an effective range out to almost 1000 meters, the other does not. One of them generates over 3000 foot-pounds of ballistic energy at the muzzle, the other generates barely half of that amount.

Which one would you rather get shot with? Which one is truly the "high powered assault" rifle?
742 remington.jpg
bushmaster.jpg

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Isn't the .223 desired for military use precisely because it won't travel through the human body and thus does more damage to internal organs?

soberups

The gun on the left is a common hunting rifle, the semi-automatic magazine-fed Remington 742, chambered in the popular 30.06 cartridge that has been around since 1906 and is commonly used for deer and elk hunting. It is far more powerful and has far greater range and killing power than the gun on the right, which is a semi-automatic magazine-fed Bushmaster chambered in .223.

Why dont the gun banners get their panties in a knot over the gun on the left?

soberups

Isn't the .223 desired for military use precisely because it won't travel through the human body and thus does more damage to internal organs?

No.

It is favored for military use because the ammunition weighs less, and the cartridge itself has far less recoil which means it can be rapid-fired with greater accuracy.

Whether or not the bullet will travel thru the body or not is a function of bullet design, not caliber or velocity. A low-powered handgun cartidge such as the 9mm...which has approximately one tenth of the muzzle energy of a 30.06...can quite easily pass thru the human body if a full metal jacketed round is used.

Plus grain size of various bullets. Type and amount of propellant and all other sorts of things that they don't want to hear as it won't matter because we're deadly gun nuts.

soberups

No...simple truth.

You people want to ban something. All I ask is that you come up with a consistent, rational, and reality-based reason for wanting to do so.

From what I can see...and from the arguments that are being presented...you want to ban an entire class of guns based upon (A) cosmetic features that you think look scary and (B) a factually incorrect "high powered" designation that would also include commonplace hunting cartridges that have been around for over 100 years.

The features you wish to ban (pistol grips, flash suppressors, 30 round detachable magazines, bayonet lugs etc) might look scary but the reality is that they contribute absolutely nothing towards the lethality of the rifle in a school massacre scenario.

When your victims are unarmed and have been conveniently herded into a "gun free zone"...it doesnt matter what kind of gun you have or how many bullets it holds.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No...simple truth.

You people want to ban something. All I ask is that you come up with a consistent, rational, and reality-based reason for wanting to do so.

From what I can see...and from the arguments that are being presented...you want to ban an entire class of guns based upon (A) cosmetic features that you think look scary and (B) a factually incorrect "high powered" designation that would also include commonplace hunting cartridges that have been around for over 100 years.

The features you wish to ban (pistol grips, flash suppressors, 30 round detachable magazines, bayonet lugs etc) might look scary but the reality is that they contribute absolutely nothing towards the lethality of the rifle in a school massacre scenario.

When your victims are unarmed and have been conveniently herded into a "gun free zone"...it doesnt matter what kind of gun you have or how many bullets it holds.

My observation on this ongoing exchange:

Now soberups knows how pretzelman feels! :biting:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To conspire is to plan, to take action, to be personally involved in an illegal act.

To condone is to simply have an opinion about whether that act should be legal or not.

Big difference.

While you are at it, explain what a condom is.
For society's sake, I don't think he should pass his genes on.

bbsam

Staff member
No.

It is favored for military use because the ammunition weighs less, and the cartridge itself has far less recoil which means it can be rapid-fired with greater accuracy.

Whether or not the bullet will travel thru the body or not is a function of bullet design, not caliber or velocity. A low-powered handgun cartidge such as the 9mm...which has approximately one tenth of the muzzle energy of a 30.06...can quite easily pass thru the human body if a full metal jacketed round is used.
That's not exactly true. I don't know very much at all about guns or ammo, but I do know that the design of a hollow point bullet is so that upon impact it will flatten out and fragment within the target and not travel through the victim. However, even that is something I have heard about and would be willing to learn differently.

bbsam

Staff member
Plus grain size of various bullets. Type and amount of propellant and all other sorts of things that they don't want to hear as it won't matter because we're deadly gun nuts.
I expected better of you. In fact, I expected better of most people on this site. You've all devolved into the same old crappy discussion that goes nowhere and does nothing. Just people on both sides calling names and insulting others. Maybe when it's 200 5 year olds killed in a Fourth of July parade we can get serious. Probably not.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I expected better of you. In fact, I expected better of most people on this site. You've all devolved into the same old crappy discussion that goes nowhere and does nothing. Just people on both sides calling names and insulting others. Maybe when it's 200 5 year olds killed in a Fourth of July parade we can get serious. Probably not.

Only if it is banning floats after a float is hijacked by a madman who uses it to run over a marching band of 5 year old kids.