guns

That's not exactly true. I don't know very much at all about guns or ammo, but I do know that the design of a hollow point bullet is so that upon impact it will flatten out and fragment within the target and not travel through the victim. However, even that is something I have heard about and would be willing to learn differently.

You're getting two different bullet designs combined in your thoughts.

A hollow point bullet will "mushroom" when it enters increasing tissue damage and also transferring maximum kinetic energy to the target.

A bullet designed to tumble will enter a target and go end for end creating an elongated tunnel through the target.

I expected better of you. In fact, I expected better of most people on this site. You've all devolved into the same old crappy discussion that goes nowhere and does nothing. Just people on both sides calling names and insulting others. Maybe when it's 200 5 year olds killed in a Fourth of July parade we can get serious. Probably not.

My comment reflects the hundreds of previous posts by those attempting to provide factual information only to have it generalized in retort by those who will disregard the facts and simple call us gun nuts of any other name. I just removed the middle man.

bbsam

Staff member
You're getting two different bullet designs combined in your thoughts.

A hollow point bullet will "mushroom" when it enters increasing tissue damage and also transferring maximum kinetic energy to the target.

A bullet designed to tumble will enter a target and go end for end creating an elongated tunnel through the target.
But then you are contradicting sober as well. It is very much the design of the bullet that will determine exactly what it will do when striking a target, isn't it?

But then you are contradicting sober as well. It is very much the design of the bullet that will determine exactly what it will do when striking a target, isn't it?

I think we're on different pages of the same book. I was relating general bullet design while Sober was talking specific bullet types such as the 9mm or the .30.

Bullets are like tools. What do you want to accomplish with it? Elephant hunting or precision accuracy?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That's not exactly true. I don't know very much at all about guns or ammo, but I do know that the design of a hollow point bullet is so that upon impact it will flatten out and fragment within the target and not travel through the victim. However, even that is something I have heard about and would be willing to learn differently.

It is true and you just made my point for me. Fully jacketed rounds, such as those fired by the .223, will penetrate far better than hollowpoint rounds which are generally only used in handguns. There are many anti-gunners crying out for bans on particular kinds of ammo who dont know or comprehend the difference between "fully jacketed" rounds and "hollowpoint" rounds. Depending on the context, either round can be portrayed as being somehow "more deadly". Fully jacketed rounds are decried as "armor piercing"; hollowpoints are decried as "cop killers" even though the last thing you want against body armor is a hollowpoint round. There is a great deal of ignorance among the anti-gun community about ammo, so as a result they pretty much want to ban everything.

bbsam

Staff member
Only if it is banning floats after a float is hijacked by a madman who uses it to run over a marching band of 5 year old kids.

You don't even have a clue what a different conversation would be, do you? You're still stuck in sad political sniping with no imagination or even interest to persue an actual solution. You insist on fighting for what you've already won and are in no danger of losing all the while ignoring the fact that there are real problems of the American psyche that when combined with deadly weapons like guns cause great harm. Instead you will deflect with idiocy about banning cars and knives and baseball bats and all manner of nonissues in the debate.

I will be the first to say that banning guns or even assault weapons is not the answer. Now what will it take to have meaningful dialog on what will work, the costs, the implementation and the benefits to society?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't know very much at all about guns or ammo.

But yet, you want too interject comments.... as if you know what you are talking about.

Just like TOS.... tries to offer an opinion.... on the definition of the 2nd amendment and militias.

It might be more helpful.... too offer a good cupcake recipe. Or discuss your favorite french fries....

You see where I'm going ?

soberups

I expected better of you. In fact, I expected better of most people on this site. You've all devolved into the same old crappy discussion that goes nowhere and does nothing. Just people on both sides calling names and insulting others. Maybe when it's 200 5 year olds killed in a Fourth of July parade we can get serious. Probably not.

Lets get serious now, and speak honestly about what a dismal failure the gun bans and "gun free zones" have been at stopping massacres. We all want the same thing, we just dont agree on how to get there.

bbsam

Staff member
Lets get serious now, and speak honestly about what a dismal failure the gun bans and "gun free zones" have been at stopping massacres. We all want the same thing, we just dont agree on how to get there.
Yes. I said that in post #3754 and numerous times before when you have read what I posted and have never once seen me advocate for a ban on anything. And let's continue the conversation with how we have dismally failed the mental health of the country and what we can do to rectify that situation no matter what the price so that all rights of all people may be preserved.

bbsam

Staff member
But yet, you want too interject comments.... as if you know what you are talking about.

Just like TOS.... tries to offer an opinion.... on the definition of the 2nd amendment and militias.

It might be more helpful.... too offer a good cupcake recipe. Or discuss your favorite french fries....

You see where I'm going ?
No, I don't. But don't let that stop you. Go ahead and go.

soberups

In theory yes, but a bigger factor is what the bullet has to go thru on its journey and how much velocity it has left when it gets there. A bullet that hits bone will not do the same thing as a bullet that hits guts, and a bullet traveling at 3000 feet per second will not do the same thing as one traveling at 900 feet per second.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You don't know too much about anything.... Do ya ? part-timer....
A serious discussion. Many on here make many valid points. Its a discussion that needs to take place. Now if we cant weed out the crap, how can the government. I think if you dont know nothing, thats what you should say.

bbsam

Staff member
In theory yes, but a bigger factor is what the bullet has to go thru on its journey and how much velocity it has left when it gets there. A bullet that hits bone will not do the same thing as a bullet that hits guts, and a bullet traveling at 3000 feet per second will not do the same thing as one traveling at 900 feet per second.

LOL. Yes. See post 3757.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You don't even have a clue what a different conversation would be, do you? You're still stuck in sad political sniping with no imagination or even interest to persue an actual solution. You insist on fighting for what you've already won and are in no danger of losing all the while ignoring the fact that there are real problems of the American psyche that when combined with deadly weapons like guns cause great harm. Instead you will deflect with idiocy about banning cars and knives and baseball bats and all manner of nonissues in the debate.

Now what will it take to have meaningful dialog on what will work, the costs, the implementation and the benefits to society?

And the sad thing (actually more hilarious than sad) is that I am offering more intelligent and thoughtful logic to this discussion than you are. :funny:

And no offence to others on here but this is a discussion in Current Events and nothing that anybody on here thinks or posts will have any meaningful effect on society. Just saying ... some overestimate their worth and importance.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Which one of these is really the "high powered assault rifle"?

Both of them are semi-automatic, meaning they fire one round every time the trigger is pulled. Both of them have detachable magazines. Both of them fire a cartridge that was originally developed for military use. Both of them are capable of penetrating conventional level IIIA body armor. However...

Only one of them is powerful enough to hunt deer and elk with, the other is not. One of them has an effective range out to almost 1000 meters, the other does not. One of them generates over 3000 foot-pounds of ballistic energy at the muzzle, the other generates barely half of that amount.

Which one would you rather get shot with? Which one is truly the "high powered assault" rifle?

This is a lame example of a comparison as the GUN does NOT do the damage, THE BULLET DOES.

Would you shoot a deer with a Jacketed round designed to "desimate" appendages and create a massive hole in the body cavity?

Who would eat a deer that has almost been blown in half by a bullet?

Dont be ridiculous.

peace

TOS

soberups

I will be the first to say that banning guns or even assault weapons is not the answer. Now what will it take to have meaningful dialog on what will work, the costs, the implementation and the benefits to society?

More people like you. Seriously, no sarcasm intended.

bbsam

Staff member
And the sad thing (actually more hilarious than sad) is that I am offering more intelligent and thoughtful logic to this discussion than you are. :funny:

And no offence to others on here but this is a discussion in Current Events and nothing that anybody on here thinks or posts will have any meaningful effect on society. Just saying ... some overestimate their worth and importance.
Ah. So just rehash the same tired meaninless crap? No. The conversation has to start somewhere. Sorry you feel you don't have anything worthwhile to say.