guns

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In post 3771, TOS leaves guns as a tangental issue and begins exploring the human dynamics that may lead to gun violence. I think you could discuss something in that area.

I had offered another "alternative" solution for schools, and the mods REFUSED to post it.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You are operating under the common liberal misconception that an inantimate object (the gun) has some sort of power over the one who carries it, and that the simple act of possessing a firearm will cause otherwise rational and decent people to "snap" and become homicidal. There are between 150 and 200 million gun owners in this country who didnt commit an act of violence today, plus untold millions who have owned guns in past times and who went to their graves without ever having committed a single act of violence in their lifetimes even though they had guns in their homes. So from a factual and statistical standpoint, your assertion of the gun as the equivalent of an evil Ring of Power that will turn all who weild it into some sort of Gollum-like creature is an incorrect one.

As to the potential that I might "snap"...all I can say is that Im 45 yrs old and in my lifetime I have been through divorce, financial strife, recovery, the death of family members, dealing with addict/alcoholic family members etc etc etc and despite all that drama not once have I ever even come close to any sort of violent behavior. I have held a carry permit for 16 years and not once have I ever drawn or displayed a weapon or participated in any sort of altercation or argument with another person.

Heres a question. You want to create a central registry of sorts to control access to guns, and to create numerous requirements for mental evaluations etc as a condition of gun ownership. Ok...since alcohol is a direct causitive factor in far more deaths and domestic violence than firearms, would you support the same level of government control and intrusion into your personal life over the purchase of a bottle of wine or a 6 pack of beer?

YES. I dont drink and hate alcohol and those that need it to feel secure with themselves.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
And he follows in #3782 by claiming that I am one bad day away from being a mass murderer.

What the hell, I will give it a shot (no pun intended) but he has a poor track record of being rational and realistic.

Who then, are the people with guns who are committing these horrible acts of violence against our society? Are they not gun owners?

When did "they" snap. Maybe finding out the reason they are snapping, and why they tend to be WHITE MEN would be a great place to start finding answers.

Peace

TOS

bbsam

Staff member
TOS about post # 3772 ,
You should also include anyone who runs for any public office into your list of those that need to forfeit any guns.
Because anyone who runs for office has to be NUTS.

And who should be in charge of your firearm registry ?
What would qualify someone to be hired by this new gov't backed agency ?
The government backed agency already exists and has a massive budget. It's called the United States Armed Forces.

Nimnim

The Nim
The Other Side, I have a genuine question. I'm a 29 year old white male that is not of the upper class yet I possess a Winchester Mod. 06 .22 LR and over 800 rounds of ammo. Am I considered one of the scared white population because I possess a rifle passed down from my grandfather that used to be ordered from a Sears catalog some 70+ years ago?

I have taken this rifle to the range so I know how to use it and not endanger others, am I afraid of others?

I have spent enough time at the range that I'd feel comfortable not hitting someone within 10 feet of what I would feel in danger of. Does that make me afraid of minorities?

I'm also in the Orlando area, who is almost guaranteed to vote Democrat. Does the fact I possess a gun that is at least 70 years old and I know how to use it make me a nut job that's going to shoot up a school or somehow invade a gated community like the Midnight Rider inhabits and shoot everyone up there?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ideally, the 2nd Amendment would be updated and written in such a manner as to enumerate the fact that armed self defense, as well as defense of a free state, is both a fundamental human right and a responsibility. Once that important point is clarified, perhaps then it would be possible to establish minimum training, mental-health, background and licensing requirements, with a "shall issue" system in place for those who pass such training. Philosophically speaking I dont have a problem with shall-issue licensing and training requirements similar to the ones I met when I got my carry permits, but I get really nervous when I hear such terms bandied about by anti-gun zealots like Dianne Feinstein and Michael Bloomberg, who would ban guns and make such licenses all but impossible to obtain if they had their way. In short...a serious discussion of the issue begins by accepting armed self defense as a fundamental human right and not a privelege to be granted or denied at the whim of a bureacrat.

rewriting the second amendment to "include" defense of a free state?? Who would you propose to defend it from? In 1903, the National Guard was created for just that purpose. A standing army to protect the state. What need would the state have to need YOU and your guns? This isnt 1776 anymore..

In reality, the second amendment needs to be clear, and written to actually state the "right of the people to own arms" in a STAND ALONE sentence and further, a definition of what an "ARM" is.

A land mine is an "ARM".

Peace

TOS

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The Other Side, I have a genuine question. I'm a 29 year old white male that is not of the upper class yet I possess a Winchester Mod. 06 .22 LR and over 800 rounds of ammo. Am I considered one of the scared white population because I possess a rifle passed down from my grandfather that used to be ordered from a Sears catalog some 70+ years ago?

I have taken this rifle to the range so I know how to use it and not endanger others, am I afraid of others?

I have spent enough time at the range that I'd feel comfortable not hitting someone within 10 feet of what I would feel in danger of. Does that make me afraid of minorities?

I'm also in the Orlando area, who is almost guaranteed to vote Democrat. Does the fact I possess a gun that is at least 70 years old and I know how to use it make me a nut job that's going to shoot up a school or somehow invade a gated community like the Midnight Rider inhabits and shoot everyone up there?

What makes you a "NUT" is the fact that you have over 8000 rounds of ammo.

What are you planning to shoot that you would need 8000 rounds handy? Isnt one box of a 100 enough for target practice at the range?

Your question lacks depth.

We and I, dont know anything about your mental state, your marriage, divorce, job, finances, family, sexuality or your use of alcohol or drugs. We do know about your political leanings, and that position is very dangerous as you are bombarded with rhetoric and diatribe that creates "FEAR".

I am sure, you will use the "this is the end of america as we know it" line, that is perpetrated by the right wing media outlets of this country.

That is simple generated fear.

Why dont you explain the "legitimate" need to purchase, and store 8000 rounds for a 70 year old gun? In a fire, that would be extremely dangerous for firemen. What are your "prepping" for by storing 8000 rounds?

In my town, you dont see guns on gun racks in trucks or the neighbors clamming to find cases of bullets. We go about life without fearing each other.

Thats how life is supposed to be lived. If your life makes you feel like you need to have a gun on your person at all times, then you are living the "wrong" life.

Peace

TOS

What makes you a "NUT" is the fact that you have over 8000 rounds of ammo.

What are you planning to shoot that you would need 8000 rounds handy? Isnt one box of a 100 enough for target practice at the range?

Your question lacks depth.

We and I, dont know anything about your mental state, your marriage, divorce, job, finances, family, sexuality or your use of alcohol or drugs. We do know about your political leanings, and that position is very dangerous as you are bombarded with rhetoric and diatribe that creates "FEAR".

I am sure, you will use the "this is the end of america as we know it" line, that is perpetrated by the right wing media outlets of this country.

That is simple generated fear.

Why dont you explain the "legitimate" need to purchase, and store 8000 rounds for a 70 year old gun? In a fire, that would be extremely dangerous for firemen. What are your "prepping" for by storing 8000 rounds?

In my town, you dont see guns on gun racks in trucks or the neighbors clamming to find cases of bullets. We go about life without fearing each other.

Thats how life is supposed to be lived. If your life makes you feel like you need to have a gun on your person at all times, then you are living the "wrong" life.

Peace

TOS

What lacks depth is you comprehension skills. He said " 800 " not 8000. Like always your blowing things out of proportion by a factor of 10.

brett636

I believe she has been submitting this same legislation for years now and it never goes anywhere. Its just more relevant now that the President is talking about gun control after the Newtown incident. I don't see a lot of this getting through Congress and maintain none of it should. The issue here, and I know this has been stated many times on here, is not some inanimate object that can only do what a human does with it, but a mental health problem where people with serious issues simply don't get the attention they need. I've never seen a gun jump off a table and shoot someone all on its own, and we all know that as long as a firearm isn't handled improperly it never will. That handling is done by a human being, the intentions of which need attention if they are malicious in nature.

The real issue people like Feinstein have with guns is that they represent freedom. Freedom is the liberals most hated enemy, and the likes of which has been, and can be, defended with the arms we have a right too in our Constitution. Remove those arms and freedom is a sitting duck awaiting slaughter and liberals like Feinstein know this. If you are a liberal, and support this kind of nonsense understand that I, and many others, understand your true agenda. Its not the guns you really want, its the freedom you wish to see stripped from the people due to your own ignorance or irrational fear of an object you really don't understand.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
An emotional statement on gun control from the other side.
This was a statement submitted to a House sub-committee on May 27, 1999 by Darrell Scott, the father of a slain girl at Columbine.

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.
"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.
"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent
I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact.
What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws.
Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him.

To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!
My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
- Darrell Scott