guns

bbsam

Staff member
I think my daughter's gun training officer summed it up pretty good. She has just completed a 7 week citizens police training course in Texas and this is what her instructor told her class:

When you have a gun its like you have a new born. You have to do everything possible to keep that gun safe and by your side. If its not by your side then you need to know where it ALWAYS is and who has access to it. You need to know how to care for it and protect it. The difference between a newborn and a gun is that the gun will never grow up. YOU are responcible for it FOREVER. So if you own a gun or are planning on owning a gun make sure you are educated on it and are a responsible owner.
yes. Here it is. I would hope that someone who's gun was stolen would feel horrible. I would hope they couldn't sleep wondering if maybe there was something they could have done to keep it safe. Like a newborn that never grows up. Hell yes they ought to feel responsible. That's the mindset needed when you own deadly firepower. Can't afford to have the"oh well, stuff happens" attitude.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Criminal-Gun-Owners-Map.jpg

yes. Here it is. I would hope that someone who's gun was stolen would feel horrible. I would hope they couldn't sleep wondering if maybe there was something they could have done to keep it safe. Like a newborn that never grows up. Hell yes they ought to feel responsible. That's the mindset needed when you own deadly firepower. Can't afford to have the"oh well, stuff happens" attitude.

I'm sure you think us hayseeds keep our firearms in cookie jars or or under the stacks of Guns and Ammo magazine but responsible gun owners will have them secured in a manor fit for that persons home. IF they could find the firearms in my home in the amount of time they want to risk on premises but then to get them out of their secured storage on top of it would be beyond what most criminals plans. Why risk getting caught while a houseful of much easier to steal items surround them.

I would report the theft of a firearm the same as I would a car or tv, etc. if the criminal used it in a robbery I would feel no more responsible than I would if he broke the speed limit in my stolen car. A criminal is a criminal and should be dealt with appropriately.

Since we're debating it, perhaps you can enlighten us in the correct way to store weapons in our home. We'll see how close you come to how we actually do it.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm sure you think us hayseeds keep our firearms in cookie jars or or under the stacks of Guns and Ammo magazine but responsible gun owners will have them secured in a manor fit for that persons home. IF they could find the firearms in my home in the amount of time they want to risk on premises but then to get them out of their secured storage on top of it would be beyond what most criminals plans. Why risk getting caught while a houseful of much easier to steal items surround them.

I would report the theft of a firearm the same as I would a car or tv, etc. if the criminal used it in a robbery I would feel no more responsible than I would if he broke the speed limit in my stolen car. A criminal is a criminal and should be dealt with appropriately.

Since we're debating it, perhaps you can enlighten us in the correct way to store weapons in our home. We'll see how close you come to how we actually do it.

I have no idea. But I am all for national service including firearms training for all. No excuses. Weapons can't go missing. I should think a responsible owner like yourself sees the importance of zero tolerance in failing in that venture.

bbsam

Staff member
Point taken.
explain it to me. If I break into a sherriff's squad car and make off with a shotgun, there's hell to pay for the cop. But if I drive 20 miles out of town and find a farm house where I grab a rifle from the basement gun cabinet, oh well. Stuff happens. My brother in law has a small arsenal in his basement but we are to be nonchalant about holding the owner responsible for its safe keeping? All the rights and no responsibility? WTF???

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
explain it to me. If I break into a sherriff's squad car and make off with a shotgun, there's hell to pay for the cop. But if I drive 20 miles out of town and find a farm house where I grab a rifle from the basement gun cabinet, oh well. Stuff happens. My brother in law has a small arsenal in his basement but we are to be nonchalant about holding the owner responsible for its safe keeping? All the rights and no responsibility? WTF???
In Israel if your gun is stolen and the police determine that you were negligent about keeping it secured, you go to jail.

Again, please explain what you feel meets the standards of responsible safe keeping. You have no idea yet you have the idea that we're doing it wrong.

If you properly secure one of your delivery vehicles yet a criminal steals it and augers it into his ex-wife's office killing her and her coworkers how should we hold you responsible even when you follow established common sense procedures?

island1fox

bbsam,

If the cops car is left open----yes. If the cops car is broken into??? Get real.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Bbsam-- we are powerless over people places and things, especially the actions of sick criminal people. Why on earth should we take responsibility for the actions of a criminal?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

If a burglar broke into my home and found a way to cut my safe open and rip off all my guns, I wouldnt feel horrible...I would feel pissed off. I probably have $5-6K worth of hardware in there, that is my hard-earned money down the drain, and I can gurantee you that "oh well stuff happens" isnt going to be in my vocabulary at that point. Im going to be on the phone with the cops and my insurance agent, in that order.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That map that the newspaper published works 2 ways.......alerting bad guys to the house without guns that they can rob "safly".....AND.......the house with guns can be robbed of their guns that crooks want (if they survive the robbery).

Babagounj

Strength through joy
New York Newsday: Criticism of The Journal News, which published a gun permit database last month, broadened Friday with Rockland law enforcement officials saying the map listing the names and addresses of those with gun permits is endangering lives.
Inmates at the Rockland County jail are taunting corrections officers by saying they know the guards’ home addresses — information they got from the list published by Westchester-based newspaper, Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco said.
“Since about 9:30 this morning, I’ve been in a meeting with my corrections officers and their unions. They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That’s not acceptable to me,” Falco said at a news conference Friday morning in New City, where local leaders condemned the list.

wkmac

I saw this movie once called Schindler's List. I was struck that in the movie only the military and police had guns and wondered why that was.