guns

over9five

Staff member
Issues other than gun violence isn't done to muddy the waters, but to bring everything into perspective. If you really want to save peoples lives do you want to focus on car accidents which kill 40k people a year, or gun violence which is about a quarter of that?
Hallelujah, just the point I was making 30 pages ago. Drunks kill more innocent people than guns ever will, but that's ok.
As long as we ban those scary guns!

bbsam

Staff member
Hallelujah, just the point I was making 30 pages ago. Drunks kill more innocent people than guns ever will, but that's ok.
As long as we ban those scary guns!

I think we do attempt to ban drinking and driving don't we? And as far as guns go, I still haven't ever advocated banning any of them. Only the straw man argument that many put up around here. I'm not here to save the world. People are always going to kill. Why make it easy to increase the body count of a mad man.

bbsam

Staff member
"I've always advocated for the mental health aspect...." (bbsam)

You say you have advocated......what is it you have done?

So when the guy beat his grandma to death, you attended his parole hearing and said "don't parole him?"

ad·vo·cate

/ˈæd vəˌkeɪt; ˈæd və kɪt, -ˌkeɪt/ Show Spelled [ad-vuh-keyt; ad-vuh-kit, -keyt] Show IPA verb, ad·vo·cat·ed, ad·vo·cat·ing, noun. verb (used with object) 1. to speak or write in favor of; support or urge by argument; recommend publicly: He advocated higher salaries for teachers.

noun 2. a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc. (usually followed by of ): an advocate of peace.

3. a person who pleads for or in behalf of another; intercessor.

4. a person who pleads the cause of another in a court of law.
according to your definition, I will point you no furtherthan several posts in this very thread.

bbsam

Staff member
There you go again. I'm not out to save the world. But Sandyhoo and Aurora were unacceptable. But again, here we are. Gun enthusiasts completely unable to address the problem any way but the way they always have. Same tired, crappy echo chamber of idiocy. Where's sober? He can usually be rational...when he's not taking the TOS bait.
Issues other than gun violence isn't done to muddy the waters, but to bring everything into perspective. If you really want to save peoples lives do you want to focus on car accidents which kill 40k people a year, or gun violence which is about a quarter of that?

over9five

Staff member
I think we do attempt to ban drinking and driving don't we? And as far as guns go, I still haven't ever advocated banning any of them. Only the straw man argument that many put up around here. I'm not here to save the world. People are always going to kill. Why make it easy to increase the body count of a mad man.
Why not start with what will save more lives? We can save more innocent people if we could stop drunk driving.
Why in the world do we allow liquor to be served in restaurants and bars when we know everyone has to drive home after? It's a simple step that would save thousands of lives. Why does no one call for this?

I say we save more lives by taking on the bigger innocent people killer first, then we can move onto smaller things, like guns.

moreluck

golden ticket member
But Megan's Law deals with CONVICTED people......

Via Mediaite:
Former Democratic New York City mayoral candidate Mark Green appeared on MSNBC’sHardball on Thursday where he advocated for the strictest of gun ownership laws. He said that there should be a registry where people can go to see if their neighbor is a gun owner, just as “Megan’s Law” allows for individuals to see if there is a convicted sex offender living in their neighborhood.

“If we have a Megan’s Law – because I think almost everyone might agree – that if you’re a convicted child molester, a neighbor might want to know that because they’re in your home, safe, but maybe they could hurt someone else,” Green said. “Same thing with guns.”

But Megan's Law deals with CONVICTED people......

Via Mediaite:
Former Democratic New York City mayoral candidate Mark Green appeared on MSNBC’sHardball on Thursday where he advocated for the strictest of gun ownership laws. He said that there should be a registry where people can go to see if their neighbor is a gun owner, just as “Megan’s Law” allows for individuals to see if there is a convicted sex offender living in their neighborhood.

“If we have a Megan’s Law – because I think almost everyone might agree – that if you’re a convicted child molester, a neighbor might want to know that because they’re in your home, safe, but maybe they could hurt someone else,” Green said. “Same thing with guns.”

As long as there's a registry of what neighbors have been diagnosed with mental illness as well. I'm not worried about my gun owning neighbors.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Could be quite a few if some deranged "hammer-nut" got his hands on one of these.

Powered by a durable lithium-ion battery, the 12.0 Volt Rotating Hammerhead provides high speed and high torque to drive nails through different kinds of wood from construction lumber to finished wood. With it's superior speed of 3600 impacts per minute, it can handle nails up to 16d size. All this makes this tool an absolute essential.
How soon can I get one ?
Is there a 10 day waiting period ?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Dude, your starting to sound like a crazy man.. Dont worry bro... youll be safe with your obsession. Nobody is coming to take your courage away from you.

The video that was posted labeled the gun as an assault rifle. It is what it is. No level of diminishing on your part is going to change that aspect of its description.

Peace

TOS

"The video" could label it a freaking purple dinosaur for all I care, that doesnt change the REALITY of what the gun actually is.

The accurate definition of an "assault weapon" is a select-fire weapon with a short barrel that typically fires a pistol-caliber cartridge. Look it up. Any idiot can make a video and label a gun any way he wants to, just like any idiot can watch that video and believe whatever he wants to.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There you go again. I'm not out to save the world. But Sandyhoo and Aurora were unacceptable. But again, here we are. Gun enthusiasts completely unable to address the problem any way but the way they always have. Same tired, crappy echo chamber of idiocy. Where's sober? He can usually be rational...when he's not taking the TOS bait.

It really would be more accurate to say "gun banners completely unable to address the problem any way but the way they always have. Same tired, crappy echo chamber of idiocy."

Trying to prevent massacres by coming up with ever more gun laws is like trying to cure obesity by banning forks. It doesnt work. Want proof? Look at the gun murder rates in Chicago or Washington DC or Los Angeles...all areas with draconian gun regulations...compared to places like Arizona or Vermont, which have far less restrictive laws and which also allow concealed carry without a permit.

If we are serious about preventing massacres then the first thing we need to do is be rigorously honest about the complete and utter failure of so called "gun free zones" to keep our children safe. Bans, restrictions, registration, waiting periods and other forms of liberal, feel-good wishful thinking are not the answer and never will be.

bbsam

Staff member
It really would be more accurate to say "gun banners completely unable to address the problem any way but the way they always have. Same tired, crappy echo chamber of idiocy."

Trying to prevent massacres by coming up with ever more gun laws is like trying to cure obesity by banning forks. It doesnt work. Want proof? Look at the gun murder rates in Chicago or Washington DC or Los Angeles...all areas with draconian gun regulations...compared to places like Arizona or Vermont, which have far less restrictive laws and which also allow concealed carry without a permit.

If we are serious about preventing massacres then the first thing we need to do is be rigorously honest about the complete and utter failure of so called "gun free zones" to keep our children safe. Bans, restrictions, registration, waiting periods and other forms of liberal, feel-good wishful thinking are not the answer and never will be.

Not really. You've set up the same "either or" scenario. It doesn't have to be that way. You could easily have both real push for revamping mental health policies and increased "gun free zones". But I agree, such zones do little. So what? So they get a "feel good"? So what? Why intensify that fight if the real solution lies in mental health? In fact, I don't hear any of the "liberals" that you insist are your foe in this discussion being anti-mental health reform. So explain to me why the insistance that one thing has to come before another? Perhaps it is inconvenient for some gun owners. I doubt that it's unconstitutional but if it is the courts can fix that.

bbsam

Staff member
How the hell do you compare LA, Chicago, and DC with Vermont and AZ? Not even close to the same. I go back to what I've said before. Triple the number of guns in Chicago, and you will not see gun violence decrease because as you have pointed out, it's not about gun control, it's about mental health. As one who has frequented Chicago, mental health in an inner city is not conducive to further arming in my opinion.