guns

bbsam

Staff member
Again you miss the point. She wasn't the gun owner. She was just related to him. So it is used as an excuse to attack her politically. She was not home, it wasn't her gun and a thief broke the law. So why do you insist on blaming her? It is not at all like a kid skateboarding down your deck stairs. The thief was committing an illegal act so property rights and their responsibilities don't apply. Legally the rifle could have been anywhere in the house and the thief would still be at fault. All her son did was tempt a dishonest person with an open garage door.

Simply doesn't matter. Legally, her son put her at risk. Legally she is responsible for what and who is in her house. I'm not saying it is "fair", just that it is common for a family member to put the household at risk stupidly.

over9five

Staff member
Simply doesn't matter. Legally, her son put her at risk. Legally she is responsible for what and who is in her house. I'm not saying it is "fair", just that it is common for a family member to put the household at risk stupidly.

But that is not what we we're responding to. Roadrunner said she was an irresponsible gun owner. That is simply not true, she didn't own the gun.

​You're saying she is an irresponsible HOME owner, which may be true, but is NOT what Roadrunner is saying.

over9five

Staff member
Once it's in the house, it's her responsibility. The son should have used the gun safe.
Tho I agree with your second sentence, I disagree with holding one person responsible for another persons actions.

​If he had knifed someone in her home, would she be to blame for not keeping all the steak knives in a safe?

bbsam

Staff member
Put it this way. If I had been selling crack out of my parents house when they were on vacation 20 years ago, the government absolutely could have taken possession of the property. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but it can and does happen.

over9five

Staff member
Put it this way. If I had been selling crack out of my parents house when they were on vacation 20 years ago, the government absolutely could have taken possession of the property. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but it can and does happen.
But would you say your parents were irresponsible crack addicts?

That's what Roadrunner is doing when he says the woman was an irresponsible gun owner.

bbsam

Staff member
But would you say your parents were irresponsible crack addicts?

That's what Roadrunner is doing when he says the woman was an irresponsible gun owner.

No. But they could have lost everything just through their affiliation with me. Yeah, it sucks, but so does paying lip service to "responsible" gun ownership. I get that it wasn't her gun. But that message of responsibility has to ring loud and clear to any and all entering the household. It's her son. I am guessing he grew up around firearms which is fine. But you gotta wonder how a weapon like that gets left unsecured and susceptible to theft in a household where responsibility of ownership is as coveted as the right of ownership.

over9five

Staff member
fnx_45_gotw.jpg

The FNX-45 from FHS USA with a mag that holds 15 rounds of .45 ACP. Impressive!