guns

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,

Do you know why the Voting Rights Act of 1964 was finally passed? Was it because it was illegal for blacks to vote? No...the right of blacks to vote was guranteed under the Fifteenth Amendment. It was passed... because racist Southern states had intentionally thrown so many rules and poll taxes and literacy tests and other "reasonable" restrictions upon the voting rights of black people that they were effectively disenfranchised even though they still "technically" had the right to vote under the Constitution.

So...What good are 2nd Amendment rights if state laws (such as California's) make ammunition for guns all but impossible to afford or even legally buy?

What good are 2nd Amendment rights if states like California pass laws requiring unaffordable and useless "microstamping" of every ejected shell case on all new firearms?

What good are 2nd Amendment rights if states like California require nonexistent, impossible "smart gun" technology to be installed on all new firearms?

What good are 2nd Amendment rights if states like New York arbitrarily reduce the allowable magazine capacity of all semi-automatic guns from 10 down to 7? And if I comply with the law and throw away all my 10 round mags and replace them with 7-rounders, what happens a year or two down the road when they change it again down to 6? Or 5?

The list of impossible "feel good" restrictions and laws goes that are constantly being proposed goes on and on. I'm not making any of this up. The people who come up with this crap have the ultimate goal of making gun ownership so complicated, so restricted, so expensive and so burdensome that our Second Amendment "rights" will exist only in theory. Their actions in regards to the Second Amendment are no different that the actions of the racist Southern states were in regards to the Fifteenth. You dont care because, as a non gun owner, you arent affected; its a damn good thing that the policitians who passed the Voting Rights Act back in 1964 didnt feel the same way simply because they were all white.

Yep. There are some stupid gun laws. Doesn't excuse the ease with which unstable people get guns. So in light of all the NSA surveillance capabilities, does the NRA still wish to delve into psychiatric profiles? That would be smarter gun laws and it's obvious it could be done. I have a feeling alot fewer guns would be sold.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Not sure physiologically, but if the animal dies in a physically agitated state the meat is quite tough. I've seen this with cattle quite a few times during botched home slaughter. Had one fence buster put down after an hour long chase including a busy highway. The steaks could have been better used strapped to your feet as shoe leather.

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure physiologically, but if the animal dies in a physically agitated state the meat is quite tough. I've seen this with cattle quite a few times during botched home slaughter.

Interesting. I wonder if traditionally killed livestock for Jewish customs has that phenomena. Although to be honest, I'm not sure those practices are widespread or what it's full process is.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Does a larger, stronger deer make for tougher venison?

Not necessarily. Sometimes, during the rut (mating season) if there is a lot of competition between bucks for available does, the bucks will stop eating for a period of time and that... combined with their higher activity levels and increased amount of adrenaline and hormones in their bodies...will cause their meat to be a bit tougher and "gamier" tasting. In my area the rut is on, but there are always plenty of does available and food is plentiful so I have never had this problem with any bucks that I have shot. Another cause of "tough" meat is an animal that is gut shot or otherwise hit poorly and which runs for a long distance before dying. Running causes lactic acid to build up in muscles; if a wounded deer dies in an exhausted state its meat will have more lactic acid in it than one that was killed quickly.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yep. There are some stupid gun laws. Doesn't excuse the ease with which unstable people get guns. So in light of all the NSA surveillance capabilities, does the NRA still wish to delve into psychiatric profiles? That would be smarter gun laws and it's obvious it could be done. I have a feeling alot fewer guns would be sold.

I tend to think that unstable people who formulate a premeditated intent to commit mass murder are going to find a way to obtain guns regardless of what sort of background checks or psychiatric profiles are done.

The problem I have with the people who want to pass laws to prevent gun violence is that they are entirely one-sided in their approach. They want to take the guns away from everybody. They only want to talk about the ease with which the murderers were able to obtain their weapons, while overlooking the fact that virtually 100% of the victims of their crimes were by law unarmed and unable to fight back due to the same laws that were somehow supposed to protect them. The people who are so gung-ho for ever more restrictive laws naively cling to the ludicrous proposition that we will all be somehow be safer if the good guys are unarmed. I dont buy that proposition.

bbsam, lets do a little philosophical wheeling and dealing. You want tougher laws, more training, background checks etc prior to buying a gun. Fine. In exchange for all that....would you agree to a Federal requirement for "shall issue" concealed carry permits in all 50 states, as well as full 50-state reciprocity for all concealed handgun licenses and a nationwide repeal of all restrictions on high capacity magazines for those who have completed the training and background checks that you advocate? Or are you one of those people who thinks that "compromise" and "reasonable" laws only go in one direction?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[h=1]Indianapolis Gun Sales Surge After Home Invasions Rise[/h]
RTV6 ABC reports that these guns are being bought for self-defense.
Trade Post gun store owner Brian Ludlow said the home invaders "aren't coming in and being nice about it." Rather, "most of [the] criminals are armed when they come in. So by arming yourself you level the playing field."
Indiana State Police show "a steady increase" for concealed carry permits throughout 2013, with a surge of requests in the third quarter.
A growing number of the people seeking guns amid the wave of home invasions are women. Indianapolis-area resident Annette Pierson spoke to RTV6 ABC and said she and her daughter-in-law have owned guns for while, but are now signing up for gun courses to be sure they can use them to defend their families in the event of an home invasion.
A recent Gallup poll shows that a clear majority of American gun owners--60 percent--cite self-defense as the main reason for having a firearm.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Another cause of "tough" meat is an animal that is gut shot or otherwise hit poorly and which runs for a long distance before dying. Running causes lactic acid to build up in muscles; if a wounded deer dies in an exhausted state its meat will have more lactic acid in it than one that was killed quickly.

Good points.

Another problem with "any" animal that is gut shot....

Is the spread.... of bile and urine. Funky taste ? Yep.

How to Field Dress a Deer - YouTube

brett636

Indianapolis Gun Sales Surge After Home Invasions Rise

RTV6 ABC reports that these guns are being bought for self-defense.
Trade Post gun store owner Brian Ludlow said the home invaders "aren't coming in and being nice about it." Rather, "most of [the] criminals are armed when they come in. So by arming yourself you level the playing field."
Indiana State Police show "a steady increase" for concealed carry permits throughout 2013, with a surge of requests in the third quarter.
A growing number of the people seeking guns amid the wave of home invasions are women. Indianapolis-area resident Annette Pierson spoke to RTV6 ABC and said she and her daughter-in-law have owned guns for while, but are now signing up for gun courses to be sure they can use them to defend their families in the event of an home invasion.
A recent Gallup poll shows that a clear majority of American gun owners--60 percent--cite self-defense as the main reason for having a firearm.

Thanks for bringing this up. Indianapolis has had a rash of headline grabbing, violent home invasions perpetrated by some of the city's fine urban youths. As the article points out the people of this city are responding by arming themselves so they won't be the next victim. This leads to my biggest pet peeve with those who call for stronger gun control laws. These supposed "safety" fantatics who want our gun laws "strengthened"(read as gun rights obliterated) would rather see our wives and daughters beaten and raped, our homes ransacked, and our sense of security at home shattered then to have these scumbags die of acute lead poisoning. I have to question the logic that its best for the law abiding to be victims than it is for the law breakers to suffer the immediate consequences of their poor choices.

bbsam

Staff member
I tend to think that unstable people who formulate a premeditated intent to commit mass murder are going to find a way to obtain guns regardless of what sort of background checks or psychiatric profiles are done.

The problem I have with the people who want to pass laws to prevent gun violence is that they are entirely one-sided in their approach. They want to take the guns away from everybody. They only want to talk about the ease with which the murderers were able to obtain their weapons, while overlooking the fact that virtually 100% of the victims of their crimes were by law unarmed and unable to fight back due to the same laws that were somehow supposed to protect them. The people who are so gung-ho for ever more restrictive laws naively cling to the ludicrous proposition that we will all be somehow be safer if the good guys are unarmed. I dont buy that proposition.

bbsam, lets do a little philosophical wheeling and dealing. You want tougher laws, more training, background checks etc prior to buying a gun. Fine. In exchange for all that....would you agree to a Federal requirement for "shall issue" concealed carry permits in all 50 states, as well as full 50-state reciprocity for all concealed handgun licenses and a nationwide repeal of all restrictions on high capacity magazines for those who have completed the training and background checks that you advocate? Or are you one of those people who thinks that "compromise" and "reasonable" laws only go in one direction?

Oh, I'll take that wheeling and dealing in a heartbeat. But it has to go a little farther. Mandatory national service in one of the armed forces for at least 2 years. Beyond that, carry whatever wherever. I've been clear on that for a year now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh, I'll take that wheeling and dealing in a heartbeat. But it has to go a little farther. Mandatory national service in one of the armed forces for at least 2 years. Beyond that, carry whatever wherever. I've been clear on that for a year now.

I would also love to see mandatory national service for at least 2 years for anyone over the age of 18 NOT enrolled in a post-secondary accredited education program. This has nothing to do with guns.

bbsam

Staff member
I would also love to see mandatory national service for at least 2 years for anyone over the age of 18 NOT enrolled in a post-secondary accredited education program. This has nothing to do with guns.
True. It doesn't, but it would certainly teach the level of respect needed for deadly weapons.

Mandatory national service period OUTSIDE of the armed forces. Disaster relief, caring for the homeless and elderly, etc. True service to the nation, not being marched off to the next corporate sponsored oil war.

bbsam

Staff member
Mandatory national service period OUTSIDE of the armed forces. Disaster relief, caring for the homeless and elderly, etc. True service to the nation, not being marched off to the next corporate sponsored oil war.

if we are going.to have more.corporate funded oil wars, all should have blood invested.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sadly, I think a law of this kind would actually pass if proposed. Banks have a lot of political power, and there's a lot of money to be made from student loans. Government backed, instant approval for everyone, on loans that can't be discharged in bankruptcy. Plus passing a law that only affects people who can't vote yet would be a slam dunk.