guns

bbsam

Staff member
By your logic then, Alabama in 1955 wasn't the same as Illinois and therefore it should have been up to the local elected leaders in Alabama to decide how 15th Amendment voting rights ought to be "regulated".

Sorry, but that is pure bullschitt. Chicago and rural Vermont are both part of the United States of America and their citizens ought to enjoy equal rights under the Constitution regardless of what their local elected leaders want. The same rules should apply.
I don't know what to say to you because you won't even acknowledge when you are factually wrong. Vermont allows minors to own guns--something easily verifiable and something you have time and time again been against. You admit that governments can and should put restrictions based on age, criminal background, and mental health background, but the Constitution makes no such distinctions in it's Second Amendment. So who if not elected officials are supposed to make such determinations?

You live on rural Oregon. Do you really think your citizenship is the same as inner city Chicago? Do you think those citizens haven't heard your argument before? They know of their record gun violence. They also know the cold hard facts of the neighborhoods they live in and around. We'll see what happens. I doubt more guns results in less gun violence.

bbsam

Staff member
"In other words, as the number of firearms almost doubled over a nearly 20-year period, the "firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide" rate was more than halved."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...ssional-Research-Service-More-Guns-Less-Crime
if you can pull yourself away from Breitbart and his ilk and research the numbers, you'll find that those crime rates were already trending downward and that phenomena has been researched without finding a cause. But that's not what Breitbart tells you to think, now is it?

Bringdough

if you can pull yourself away from Breitbart and his ilk and research the numbers, you'll find that those crime rates were already trending downward and that phenomena has been researched without finding a cause. But that's not what Breitbart tells you to think, now is it?
It's a book written by john Lott, more guns , less crime. He's not a right winger, either.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bbsam

Staff member
It's a book written by john Lott, more guns , less crime. He's not a right winger, either.

Sent using BrownCafe App
yes. I know. And his conclusions and methodology are highly questionable. He also seems silent on the one fact that seems concrete: RTC states see a substantial rise in aggravated assault soon after passage.

oldngray

nowhere special
"At least 13 people have been shot in Chicago at the start of the long holiday weekend"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ings-at-least-4-shot-20140703,0,3923848.story

"A Gresham man is charged with attempted murder after he fired on a group of people leaving a party Friday night, only to be shot himself by one of the victims, a military service member with a concealed carry permit, authorities said Sunday."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...arry-shoots-attacker-20140706,0,5324984.story

The good people of Chicago, are finally going to find out what living in a free state is like.

The man charged was not the concealed carry holder. He went inside his house, got a gun and went back outside and started shooting people. He was the one charged with attempted murder. The military vet with concealed carry license shot back on self defense. That case is a very good example of why individuals should have the right to carry. Although its inconvenient for the gun control crowd.
http://news.yahoo.com/veteran-concealed-carry-permit-shoots-back-chicago-gunman-031804649.html
Had Friday’s shooting occurred a little more than a year ago, the veteran would not have been legally permitted to conceal carry his firearm.

Bringdough

yes. I know. And his conclusions and methodology are highly questionable. He also seems silent on the one fact that seems concrete: RTC states see a substantial rise in aggravated assault soon after passage.
I suppose if you search long enough you can find a study that's plays with the numbers to get the results you want. The stats I read are that shall issue states have a decrease in crime or stayed the same. Only minn had a temporary increase in crime.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bbsam

Staff member
I suppose if you search long enough you can find a study that's plays with the numbers to get the results you want. The stats I read are that shall issue states have a decrease in crime or stayed the same. Only minn had a temporary increase in crime.

Sent using BrownCafe App
not the case. His work has been reviewed over and over with pro and con alike. But if one is going to put out a statistical paper, there are standards and methodology to be followed. He hose not to.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't know what to say to you because you won't even acknowledge when you are factually wrong. Vermont allows minors to own guns--something easily verifiable and something you have time and time again been against. .

Per Federal law, a minor cannot legally purchase a firearm. I guess it depends upon what you mean by "ownership"....I "owned" my first gun at the age of 12 but it was bought by my parents and subject to their supervision and control.

We can split hairs and quibble over what ought to be the legal age for owning guns but that doesn't change the fact that, for decades, Chicago denied everyone the right to own a handgun regardless of their age.

soberups

. You admit that governments can and should put restrictions based on age, criminal background, and mental health background, but the Constitution makes no such distinctions in it's Second Amendment. So who if not elected officials are supposed to make such determinations?.

When local officials deny everybody the right to buy guns.... regardless of their age, level of training and clean background and without any sort of due process...then we are no longer talking about "restrictions" we are talking about a blanket, de facto denial of a fundamental Constitutional right.

soberups

You live on rural Oregon. Do you really think your citizenship is the same as inner city Chicago? Do you think those citizens haven't heard your argument before? They know of their record gun violence. They also know the cold hard facts of the neighborhoods they live in and around. We'll see what happens. I doubt more guns results in less gun violence.

I am an American citizen with Constitutional rights regardless of whether I live in Oregon or Chicago.

The only people who are obeying Chicago's oppressive gun laws are the unarmed victims who are being denied the means to defend themselves.

bbsam

Staff member
Per Federal law, a minor cannot legally purchase a firearm. I guess it depends upon what you mean by "ownership"....I "owned" my first gun at the age of 12 but it was bought by my parents and subject to their supervision and control.

We can split hairs and quibble over what ought to be the legal age for owning guns but that doesn't change the fact that, for decades, Chicago denied everyone the right to own a handgun regardless of their age.
when someone gives me a gift, I own it. Not much to quibble about.

bbsam

Staff member
When local officials deny everybody the right to buy guns.... regardless of their age, level of training and clean background and without any sort of due process...then we are no longer talking about "restrictions" we are talking about a blanket, de facto denial of a fundamental Constitutional right.
so all gun owners in Chicago are criminals?