guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Some counties in Illinois issue carry permits on a "may issue" basis, and some also allow open carry. Chicago allows neither. Crazy-quilt patchwork of laws, you can go from being perfectly law-abiding to being a felon simply by stepping across the street into a different jurisdiction. Illinois is a case study of what happens when irrational, gun-phobic politicians who have never held a gun in their lives start writing laws that make them "feel" safer. California is almost as bad, but at least the sheriffs in most of the northern and rural counties will issue carry permits.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Looks like you live in Somalia! Man, whatever you did in life to put you in a neighborhood where you have to keep ammo like this, I sure wouldnt spend one day there.

Nothing says "ghetto" more than a pile of high caliber ammo in a basement.

TOS.

As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't live in the ghetto, the guy I was helping set up his reloading press makes three time what us drivers make and his wife is also a college professor. I'm reloading my old brass, I thought liberals were all for recycling.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
adventure calibers.jpg

Some people are capable of taking care of their families and themselves, others cower in their "gated communities" thinking the government will take care of them.

soberups

What i find amusing, is how you cling to the second amendment, but when challenged to explain it, you and sober simply move on to another part of the founding documents and abandon the second amendment.

TOS.
This coming from someone who tries to interpret the meaning of the 2nd Amendment by quoting the Militia Act that was written 20 years later.

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This coming from someone who tries to interpret the 2nd Amendment by quoting the Militia Act that was written 20 years later.

What part of history are you missing??

The second amendment was written by the first congress in 1791, the militia act was written and passed by the second congress the following year, considering the second amendment was written towards the end of the year prior.

Where you see 20 years is beyond me.

Maybe you live in a different america?

TOS.

soberups

Looks like you live in Somalia! Man, whatever you did in life to put you in a neighborhood where you have to keep ammo like this, I sure wouldnt spend one day there.

Nothing says "ghetto" more than a pile of high caliber ammo in a basement.

TOS.
Pull your panties out of your ass. That is ammo for an ordinary hunting rifle, maybe 50 or 60 rounds at the most which is the equivalent of 3 boxes. I keep more than that in the glove box of my Prius.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
It appears to be 223 judging by the boxes. Hardly high caliber.Congrats to Scratch on doing necked cartridges. The inside of my safe is very Ghetto and I wouldn't have it any other way.:happy-very: Practice makes perfect.

soberups

It appears to be 223. Congrats to Scratch on doing necked cartridges. The inside of my safe is very Ghetto and I wouldn't have it any other way.:happy-very: Practice makes perfect.
Cases look too long to be .223 and the one on the scale weighs 175 grains which is too heavy to be .223 even with the weight of the bullet and brass combined.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
.223/5.56, almost the same thing. Its a Dillon 550 reloader, we used 55 grain Hornady bullets, 20 grains of powder, with CCI primers. 5.56 is a little trickier to load, we used a Dillon Super Swage 600 on the primer holes. We polished the brass too, got the annealing dis-colorization off of the necks. It was the first time setting up this press, there was a lot of scale and caliper work to get the dies adjusted just right.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Right. The proportions of neck to case don't seem right either. Good guessing game identifying centerfire cartridges of the last century. There must be thousands.
I will stick with my pistol reloading.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The .223/5.56 round is 2.26 inches long, the green tip military bullet weighs a little heavier at 62 grains because of the steel penetrator core. I'm no reloading expert, I just started learning.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My understanding is the dimensions are the same, the shell brass is a little thicker in 5.56 to handle a hotter powder charge.

oldngray

nowhere special
My understanding is the dimensions are the same, the shell brass is a little thicker in 5.56 to handle a hotter powder charge.

5.56 is loaded to a slightly higher pressure and 5.56 have a longer leade in the chamber throat to compensate for the higher pressure. That with the thicker case of the 5.56 results in higher than normal pressure when fired in a tighter .223 chamber. It can be done and usually it doesn't cause any problems but its not recommended to do so if you get picky about details.

soberups

You see, I don't have a problem with any of that. I just have a problem believing you are the rule rather than the exception and I'm not in a hurry to have every person packing so that we can find out.

In 2007 there were approximately 4.6 million Americans with concealed carry permits, and in that year there were 14,831 homicides, 10,086 of them using guns.

In 2012, the last year for which data is available, there were 11.1 million Americans with concealed carry permits...over twice as many as in 2007....yet homicides decreased to 12,765 and only 8,885 of them used guns.

Also, the 11.1 million figure does not include states like Arizona, Alaska and Vermont that allow concealed carry without a permit.

More guns, more people, fewer murders. The numbers don't lie.

bbsam

Staff member
In 2007 there were approximately 4.6 million Americans with concealed carry permits, and in that year there were 14,831 homicides, 10,086 of them using guns.

In 2012, the last year for which data is available, there were 11.1 million Americans with concealed carry permits...over twice as many as in 2007....yet homicides decreased to 12,765 and only 8,885 of them used guns.

Also, the 11.1 million figure does not include states like Arizona, Alaska and Vermont that allow concealed carry without a permit.

More guns, more people, fewer murders. The numbers don't lie.
Search your numbers. They do lie. The statistics when correctly analyzed have never born out that conclusion. The one thing that has been a statistical fact is a slight increase in aggravated assaults in states that adopt RTC laws. You are riding numbers that have over time been on a decline despite RTC laws being passed and it's a phenomena that sociologists have been at a loss to explain. You may as well say that the drop in crime is a result of increased American obesity.

soberups

Search your numbers. They do lie. The statistics when correctly analyzed have never born out that conclusion. The one thing that has been a statistical fact is a slight increase in aggravated assaults in states that adopt RTC laws. You are riding numbers that have over time been on a decline despite RTC laws being passed and it's a phenomena that sociologists have been at a loss to explain. You may as well say that the drop in crime is a result of increased American obesity.

The numbers are proof that strict gun laws don't prevent crime. They are proof that the "availability of guns" doesn't increase gun crime. And if the number of people "packing" more than doubles in a 5 year period yet murder rates drop, your concerns about people like me being the exception rather than the rule are obviously unfounded.

bbsam

Staff member
The numbers are proof that strict gun laws don't prevent crime. They are proof that the "availability of guns" doesn't increase gun crime. And if the number of people "packing" more than doubles in a 5 year period yet murder rates drop, your concerns about people like me being the exception rather than the rule are obviously unfounded.
it may be that crime decreases because of better policing, economic factors, and even more surveillance cameras. More guns, less crime is intellectually lazy.