DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm still waiting for the hardest part of the job to come like everyone says.. my back, hands and shoulder have actually healed since taking this gig over the past few months.. hub work is definitely more physical....
I had a shoulder problem from loading trailers 9+feet up. Healed itself within a month or two after going driving. Then they come back from different repetitive motions.... seatbelt, bulkhead door, handrail etc. Not to mention now your knees and ankles are thrown into the mix.

If you think you're free of the body damage done by repetitive motion you're in for a big surprise. Difference is now you do it for at least twice as long everyday.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I had a shoulder problem from loading trailers 9+feet up. Healed itself within a month or two after going driving. Then they come back from different repetitive motions.... seatbelt, bulkhead door, handrail etc. Not to mention now your knees and ankles are thrown into the mix.

If you think you're free of the body damage done by repetitive motion you're in for a big surprise. Difference is now you do it for at least twice as long everyday.
My feet started to hurt, bought some all black walking fila's from Kohl's.. went away..

buddy of mine gave me a number to a podiatry Dr. For some custom fit orthotics.. he said UPS insurance covered 75% of them. Best investment he's made for the job yet he said. I'll be looking into those. Said they helped his back, ankles, and feet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My feet started to hurt, bought some all black walking fila's from Kohl's.. went away..

buddy of mine gave me a number to a podiatry Dr. For some custom fit orthotics.. he said UPS insurance covered 75% of them. Best investment he's made for the job yet he said. I'll be looking into those. Said they helped his back, ankles, and feet.

You might want to go with the store bought insoles to get you through Peak. No sense spending all of the money for custom when you will probably be back in the hub once Peak is over.

AutoZone

BrownPower
You might want to go with the store bought insoles to get you through Peak. No sense spending all of the money for custom when you will probably be back in the hub once Peak is over.
$$ isn't a problem buddy.. I don't live paycheck to paycheck.. lol if I'm back in the hub, I've got enough to show up every morning and sit in the managers office until he finds something for me to do. I'm pretty sure it's not as far off as you think it might be.. we're busier then most of you think... Faceplanted can vouch for that..

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I just quit a very good paying job to learn this one, and I'll probably end up back in the hub after peak.. so I need to bank much as I can just in case, so I'll have time to find another job when that happens.. until my hours become more stable driving during the year

$$ isn't a problem buddy.. I don't live paycheck to paycheck.. lol if I'm back in the hub, I've got enough to show up every morning and sit in the managers office until he finds something for me to do. I'm pretty sure it's not as far off as you think it might be.. we're busier then most of you think... Faceplanted can vouch for that..

Kind of a contradiction there, Jake.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Ran air for 1 1/2 hours.. spent 3 hours going to the rental car place picking up our box trucks for peak.. did a little shuttling, ran some misloads.. and just as I thought they were done with me, had me go help a guy with about 20 ground resi stops... Easiest day thus far... And of course you all know what that means when I run some ground after that easy day!! $$$$$ lol

I'm still waiting for the hardest part of the job to come like everyone says.. my back, hands and shoulder have actually healed since taking this gig over the past few months.. hub work is definitely more physical....

I'm loving it... I don't have to deal with people anymore.. I just clock in, do my job, and clock out.. I'm so use to kissing ass day in and day out.. it's seriously like a breath of fresh air..

I'm use to 12 hours of working at a dealership dealing with complaining customers that want everything for free... Then breaking my ass for 4 hours in the hub.. with an hour drive to and from work.. all that physical and mental stress mixed with no sleep... To now, 8 hours of sleep.. not dealing with whiney bitches(except when I come on here and Orion has something to say) and my pains have gone away since no more back breaking hub work... It's just great! Good to be new I guess!

So you're managements little do bitch.

Let's us all know when you actually run a real route 12 hours a day instead of being your CMs errand bitch.

Then do that 30 plus years and see if you're "healing".

The amount of BS that comes out of you could fertilize the entire Midwest.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Are you going to get custom made matching knee pads too ?

crow27

I'm loving it... I don't have to deal with people anymore.. I just clock in, do my job, and clock out.. I'm so use to kissing ass day in and day out.. it's seriously like a breath of fresh air..

I'm use to 12 hours of working at a dealership dealing with complaining customers that want everything for free... Then breaking my ass for 4 hours in the hub.. with an hour drive to and from work.. all that physical and mental stress mixed with no sleep... To now, 8 hours of sleep.. not dealing with whiney bitches(except when I come on here and Orion has something to say) and my pains have gone away since no more back breaking hub work... It's just great! Good to be new I guess!

lol I was a tcd in the south and drove U-Hauls around my first peak too, enjoy it while it lasts... because that's not what you'll be doing if/when you make FT.
You don't think you'll have to deal with unhappy people (customers) on a bid route???

AutoZone

BrownPower
lol I was a tcd in the south and drove U-Hauls around my first peak too, enjoy it while it lasts... because that's not what you'll be doing if/when you make FT.
You don't think you'll have to deal with unhappy people (customers) on a bid route???
I'm not a peak driver.. but yes, tcd.. I'm sure I'll be back in the hub for a month or 2 after peak until vacations start picking up..

Only difference is here, an unhappy customer doesn't directly effect my pay.. in the car business, I could give them a $1000 service for free to try and make them happy, they'll act thankful to your face then when they get their survey, they say, well the guy was great, but my new car shouldn't have broken down in the first place and completely bomb the survey. And give a 12% score... That costs me $4000 over a 3 month average directly out of my paycheck.. so I need to pay because someone's car broke down?? How is that my fault?? All I did was get it fixed and help them!!! If you've been to a dealership for service, I'm sure you've been begged, bribed, pleaded with to give them a good survey... And that's why! UPS, I've been driving about 4 months and the only complaint I've gotten so far is, "where's the other package"?? "Not sure, it's not on my truck.. check your tracking number.. have a great rest of your day"!

beentheredonethat

A typical miserable manager throwing :censored2: out to stir up the troops. UPS management does this every contract season. Throw stuff out there to see the reaction. It's called research.

Remember that you are a member of a union. Strength in numbers.

Always answer managers the same way. That you and your co-workers are ready to do whatever it takes to take care of your family.

When DIAD first came out, drivers howled in protest. Now most will consider it a great system.
When PAS\PFT first came out, again, there were howls of how bad it was. As time went by the system works, although it does require maintenance. There is no denying that the learning rate for PT preloaders is much faster now then in the past.

ORION: Yes a lot of people are complaining of ORION, but it is getting better and better and will find itself in the realm of PFT\PAS efficiency. This also makes it easier for a new driver to do his\her job.

If there is a national work stoppage sure we will use these technologies to bring in people to cover the job. It may hurt UPS in the short term, but FDX has shown that they can get workers for far far less then what UPS pays their drivers. Do drivers work harder? yes.. However, not when you consider the pay rate, the only advantage UPS really has is our density in beign able to deliver multiple packages at a stop vs only a few and having multiple stops in an area vs a few. Although FDX ground is catching up with us on that too.

I see the only way to protect yourself and UPS is a two tier wage system. You will lose nothing, but the unborn won't get the same benefits you are currently receiving, but they will still make more then FDX drivers.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you check out Craigslist there are always FedEx ground contractors trying to fill jobs. Many of them say they are tough, physically demanding routes needing motivated workers and pay $650 per week. They follow this with info saying they drive 100 miles per day with 80-100 stops in 10-12 hours. If they can't keep employees on a light day like that how is UPS going to keep drivers with a much lower two tier wage? It seems to me they will have to dangle some kind of carrot to make people stick it out past the training.

Can you imagine what would happen if full-time drivers quit in the middle of a shift like so many hub employees do? If you've ever loaded in summertime I can pretty much guarantee that you've seen someone walk away from their load and never come back. We all know the back of a package car is a hotter than a pup or ZZZ trailer with a fan blowing into it. If kids can't tough out 3-4 hours in the hub they will never be able to suck it up and be drivers. I have no doubt changes are coming but I can't see many drivers sticking around long if top pay was only $20 an hour or so.

Chowdy

When you are on your packet and day 30 comes following the supervisor tells me my production is not consistent so he is going to extend 15 days. I have been told I'm basically going to be seasonal and the manager is just giving me some days to earn money... what y'all think? Is he really extending or will I end up seasonal

PT Car Washer

If you check out Craigslist there are always FedEx ground contractors trying to fill jobs. Many of them say they are tough, physically demanding routes needing motivated workers and pay $650 per week. They follow this with info saying they drive 100 miles per day with 80-100 stops in 10-12 hours. If they can't keep employees on a light day like that how is UPS going to keep drivers with a much lower two tier wage? It seems to me they will have to dangle some kind of carrot to make people stick it out past the training.

Can you imagine what would happen if full-time drivers quit in the middle of a shift like so many hub employees do? If you've ever loaded in summertime I can pretty much guarantee that you've seen someone walk away from their load and never come back. We all know the back of a package car is a hotter than a pup or ZZZ trailer with a fan blowing into it. If kids can't tough out 3-4 hours in the hub they will never be able to suck it up and be drivers. I have no doubt changes are coming but I can't see many drivers sticking around long if top pay was only $20 an hour or so.
Maybe not having drivers stick around for 30 years is UPS's plan. Just dump the problems on to local management.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

You will never have the same issues with FTers as you do with PTers. Specifically the bunch quitting in the middle of the day. It's a lot easier to walk away from a 10.10 an hour job and find another than a 35 an hour job with great benefits. Just look at how many people on this forum hate their job yet stay.